GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   strong houses at SDSU & Long Beach (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=53897)

wannagogreek 07-18-2004 08:15 PM

strong houses at SDSU & Long Beach

What are some strong sororities at sdsu and long beach? What are some pros and cons of each?

DeltaSigStan 07-18-2004 09:15 PM

I just pmed you

SurfinDBeach 07-18-2004 10:46 PM

Long Beach...

I'm a Teke from Long Beach State...

It would be inappropriate to talk about the sororities on our campus on this forum, as there are members of certain sororities from our school that peruse these boards - and would not appreciate public scrutiny...

So i'm about to Private Message you as well... :cool:

GO BEACH!!!

wannagogreek 07-18-2004 11:28 PM

that would be great. I am definitely interested in gamma phi beta, any thoughts?

SurfinDBeach 07-18-2004 11:31 PM

good...

I just Private Messaged you...

But yeah, Gamma Phi Beta is a great house to join... Popular house for the rushees...

Hot, hard-core sisterhood type, dancer girls (trust me, we were paired with them for Greek Sing this past semester - and they ALL DANCE!!!) who display strong and "traditional" greek lives...

Yeah, they're hot...

:cool:

GO BEACH!!!

CASIGKAP 07-18-2004 11:56 PM

Totally inappropriate to refer to the ladies of Gamma Phi like this. I know many of their ladies & while I know how great they are, the way you are portraying them is only in reference to the physical. There are more qualities that they possess besides being hot & great dancers.

GeekyPenguin 07-18-2004 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CASIGKAP
Totally inappropriate to refer to the ladies of Gamma Phi like this. I know many of their ladies & while I know how great they are, the way you are portraying them is only in reference to the physical. There are more qualities that they possess besides being hot & great dancers.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You must have missed the part where he said they had a great sisterhood. I know I saw it and I know it's true. Go Gamma Phi!

-GP, who really won't ever be offended that she has hot sisters

SurfinDBeach 07-18-2004 11:59 PM

Okay...

You're probably right...

But I private messaged her and provided more information on every sorority - especially them since she had interest in them...

I would know... I picked a Gamma Phi Beta to be my little bro's BIG SIS this past semester when he pledged...

But yes, I know about more than the physical side, and I already informed her, thank you very much...

Plus you forgot to acknowledge the fact that I descibed them as "hard core sisterhood" girls who lived traditional greek lives...

I say that because a lot of other sororities are swaying to a more modern greek life bogged down by new regulations set by nationals - and don't experience a lot of traditional greek experiences, or know greek knowledge...

GO BEACH!!!

gphibF03 07-19-2004 12:05 AM

I have heard great things about gamma phi at long beach, I know you were not offending her. Good thing by private messaging her. Every sorority has their fox and their ox, and each sororirty has their pros and cons.

CASIGKAP 07-19-2004 12:12 AM

I must have missed that part b/c I did kinda skim over the post however, I too have PM'd her. The ladies of GPhiB are truly awesome however, I would like to tell her not to discount the other sororities & there are some amazing locals on campus too so while she may have her heart set on GPhiB, it never hurts to look around & make some new friends regardless of where she ends up.

I Pm'd her & added the websites of some of the sororities on campus b/c it's great to look at the chapter sites & get ideas of where each sorority stands.

IowaStatePhiPsi 07-19-2004 12:23 AM

Re: strong houses at SDSU & Long Beach

Quote:

Originally posted by wannagogreek
What are some strong sororities at sdsu and long beach? What are some pros and cons of each?
I dont think many people from South Dakota State University are on here.

wannagogreek 07-19-2004 12:27 AM

Not south dakota state university, I am interested in san diego state university

CASIGKAP 07-19-2004 12:29 AM

If you're ever on AOL, I'm wedgiemunster. We can chat & I can tell you more stuff and answer any and all questions if I can!

PM_Mama00 07-19-2004 10:40 AM

Hi. This is just a friendly reminder that discussing recruitment type stuff with potential members is a violation of recruitment rules... at least in the state of Michigan and I'm assuming Panhellenically elsewhere.

Guys-- I'm sure the Gamma Phi girls are very lovely, but please respect recruitment rules for people. Let wannagogreek see for herself what organizations are like what. Afterall, some of us try to rush girls on a basis of sisterhood and not how all the fraternity guys feel about.

Sorry, I do not mean to be a bitch, but I can't stand when the guys on my campus try to get involved in our recruitment. You'll never get an accurate description of a chapter (house) based on a guys' opinion. Sorry-- same goes the same for girls and their opinions of fraternities.

aphibeach 07-19-2004 11:33 AM

instead of people PMing her which sororities you think she should join, why don't yall just tell her to check out recruitment and see for herself

by telling her different things about each chapter, you're giving this girl pre-judgement on some great chapters (that you might not know much about)

Quote:

Hi. This is just a friendly reminder that discussing recruitment type stuff with potential members is a violation of recruitment rules... at least in the state of Michigan and I'm assuming Panhellenically elsewhere.
thank you. it's like that in NC too :)

hannahgirl 07-19-2004 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by aphibeach

thank you. it's like that in NC too :)

ditto on Ohio

astroAPhi 07-19-2004 12:09 PM

wannagogreek, I'd be wary about trusting the opinions of others and using that information to make your decision on what sorority you would like to join. While I understand that no one wants to join a house littered with external and internal problems, or is struggling with numbers, you never know what the real story is like until you get there.

When I was a PNM, I asked a fraternity guy if he could tell me what the difference was between the two sororities on our campus. He said some very cruel things about both groups. The two groups on our campus are amazing organizations, and he definitely did not give me any help whatsoever.

It's not a difference between each sorority that you can see. It's a difference you have to FEEL, and you have to give each group a fair chance in order to be fair to yourself.

kayla0deegee 07-19-2004 12:45 PM

Yeah I totally agree. I asked a fraternity guy's opinion too and then went into rush thinking that was the one for me, but turns out they werent and while they are a wonderful organization you can FEEL the difference.
Wannagogreek- have you checked out the greek life page on the campuses website? They usually have a lot of information about the sororities different philanthropies and activities they hold each year. You can also learn a lot about their history, symbols, mascots, etc.....I would check that out.
Good Luck!
Kayla

texas*princess 07-19-2004 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hannahgirl
ditto on Ohio
ditto in texas :)

OleMissGlitter 07-19-2004 01:11 PM

I would just go and find their websites and look around...

SDSU NPCs
Alpha Chi Omega
Delta Gamma
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Phi
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Kappa
http://www.sa.sdsu.edu/cfsl/noflash/...Directory.html

Long Beach
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Phi
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Delta Zeta
Gamma Phi Beta
Sigma Kappa
http://www.csulb.edu/divisions/stude...eek/greeklife/

DeltaSigStan 07-19-2004 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by OleMissGlitter
I would just go and find their websites and look around...

SDSU NPCs
Alpha Chi Omega
Delta Gamma
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Phi
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Kappa
http://www.sa.sdsu.edu/cfsl/noflash/...Directory.html

We also have an AEPhi colony

Kevin 07-19-2004 02:34 PM

It's not a violation of rules for a TKE to give his impressions on different houses.

I'm sure she's a big girl and can make decisions for herself.

astroAPhi 07-19-2004 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ktsnake
It's not a violation of rules for a TKE to give his impressions on different houses.

I'm sure she's a big girl and can make decisions for herself.

It's not against the rules for him, but it is against the rules for sorority women to contact PNMs outside of Recruitment parties before Recruitment starts. Someone mentioned PMs and even that could be considered a violation of the rules.

The reason a few of us said to not ask the guys is because we've had bad experiences asking guys their opinion, or we know that no one truthfully has an unbiased opinion.

PM_Mama00 07-19-2004 04:28 PM

Not only that but if the fraternity MEN were true gentlemen, they would respect our rules.

navane 07-19-2004 05:10 PM

As a Long Beach State alumna, and a Gamma Phi Beta, I can tell you that the CSULB Greek Life website is not that helpful. :( It's a nice looking website, but the information for NPC recruitment seems sort of like an afterthought - just the dates and application. Plus, not all of the NPC chapters have a local website. Please note, however, that Alpha Omicron Pi does have a website. The Greek Life Office hasn't gotten around to updating the listing yet. Their website address is: http://www.aoiicsulb.org/

http://www.csulb.edu/divisions/stude...eek/index.html is the link directly to the Greek Life home page.

I am flattered that you seem to like Gamma Phi Beta so much. Though, I am not sure why you favor my organization over all the others! There are some really fantastic sororties at both universities! I echo what the others are saying. Go through recruitment with the idea that you'll at least give all of the groups a fair chance. Allow yourself to be open to finding out which one truly speaks to your heart. If you do that, you can't go wrong. :)

Best Wishes,

.....Kelly :)

navane 07-19-2004 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gphib_95
I noticed that SDSU did not have any web links for it's chapters.

I'm not sure if you missed it, but they do. The link OleMissGlitter posted goes straight to the listings. If you don't see the webpage links, you might have to scroll to the right.

Stacekat 07-19-2004 08:29 PM

I'm an adviser at CSULB for AOII. I'm pretty sure the links on the Greek Life Office's web page are down. At least they are supposed to be. They were supposed to be taken off as of 6/1/04 per panhellenic. And all pictures with rho gamma's were supposed to be taken off of chapter websites as of that day too.

LAKDgirl 07-19-2004 08:41 PM

The link SDSU gave for Kappa Delta is the national website. Here's the local one:
http://sdkd.org/

bruinaphi 07-19-2004 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DeltaSigStan
We also have an AEPhi colony
It is my understanding from conversations with our advisors at SDSU that they are still a local group and that Panhellenic has not yet voted in favor of allowing them to associate with a national organization.

wannagogreek, both CSULB and SDSU have awesome chapters of a lot of great NPC groups. Like some others have said I strongly encourage you to check out the chapter websites and go through recruitment. I know from experience in working with our chapters that you will meet fabulous women.

navane 07-20-2004 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stacekat
I'm an adviser at CSULB for AOII. I'm pretty sure the links on the Greek Life Office's web page are down. At least they are supposed to be. They were supposed to be taken off as of 6/1/04 per panhellenic. And all pictures with rho gamma's were supposed to be taken off of chapter websites as of that day too.

Hrm...well, the links for Delta Zeta and Sigma Kappa are still functional (they are in the center of the page and also in the column on the left). Actually, technically, Alpha Phi's link is still there too....but because the HTML code was entered improperly the link turns up an error. Even so, I managed to notice that and was able to easily pull up their chapter website too. You may want to go to the website to see for yourself.

If the links aren't supposed to be available, then it hardly seems fair for 2 or 3 of the 7 orgs to have links while the others don't. I mean, as far as I know, Gamma Phi Beta-Gamma Eta doesn't have a website, but AOII-Lambda Beta does. If DZ, AP and SK get to have theirs up, the AOII should as well.

I'm not sure why Panhellenic would want to take the website links down. Wouldn't you want to encourage PNMs to be informed by looking at everyone's websites? :confused:

Can you explain this policy to me? I'm really curious.

If it's about evening the playing field between those that have websites and those that don't, then I don't agree with this policy. If a chapter needs a website to be competitive, then perhaps they should find a sister, alumna, family member or *someone* to help them with one. Hey....I'm all about helping. *I* would create a website for any sorority that needed one! It just doesn't seem fair that sisters who were progressive enough to get a website together (like your chapter!) don't get to share it with the PNMs.

Just in case there is a misunderstanding, please remember that your org has a website and mine doesn't. I'm actually arguing for something which favors you and not me. :)

kk_bama 07-20-2004 12:48 AM

This thread is making me giggle, no offense. But I have the same advice: go with an open mind, and don't go by the stereotypes. As much as I would probably want you as a sister if I met you in person, it's really important to go into rush with an open mind.

Many girls at universities get their hearts set on one group, and if they are cut from that group, they drop completely. That's definitely not being open-minded.

AOII*Azra-elle 07-20-2004 02:38 AM

I agree. Go into recruitment with an open mind. Don't go in with preconceived notions about what other people may say, b/c that is their opinion and you should make your own. One house that may be great for your best friend may not be for you. I know most of us on here have been in that position.

If I had gone into recruitment with what one of my roommates said about a chapter at my school it would have severely biased my judgement. I'm not in that particular chapter, but alot of my really good friends are and I wouldn't change where I went for the world.

I will add to what OleMiss said, and yes check out those schools Panhellenic websites, also check out the organizations [inter]national websites. Check out what they were founded on, their ideals, philanthropies, and such. Get a feel for the entire organization so when you go into recruitment you can ask questions and get to know the women you will be talking to. Each one of those organizations are great and each have different ideals. If it will help, also check out the NPC Sorority challenge thread and see what other women are saying about the glo's.

ETA: I just read the reply above mine about girls being dropped and then quitting completely. I had my heart set on one house, but I realized that I would be where I was meant to be, where I could do the most good and be myself. Remember that going into this. Don't completely drop out of recruitment if you are dropped from your first choice, keep your mind open, b/c you may see things that you weren't seeing before and change your mind.

SurfinDBeach 07-20-2004 02:51 AM

Anal...

All I have to say is most of you are anal...

Some people may want the generic loads of recruitment B.S. - but this particular girl asked for the opinion of someone currently in the system at a specific school...

I wouldn't give information if I didn't know anything about the sororities...

And besides, I began the information emphasizing the fact that rushing is finding the sorority that fits your personality and characteristics...

She asked for my opinion, and I gave it...

Not the info that she's gonna hear from every one else (like ON THIS BOARD!), but some blunt realities...

And yes, I gave the good and bad...

I know gals in most of these houses by the way... The big houses and the small houses ...

I also know girls who RUSHED, but decided not to take the bid from their last choice house, and be an independent instead... It's no coincidence which houses were last choice... Because they're well known facts by anyone who really knows...

Now you can hide that all you want, but everyone in the know, KNOWS...

There's nothing wrong with talking to someone who specifically asks for certain first hand information...

And yes, I think Gamma Phi is awesome... but don't think i'm biased... I have friends in most of the houses...
And my bis sis is a Delta Gamma (and even in that case, I gladly provided the negatives - which she ASKED FOR)...

So yeah, stop being so anal... She will find out for herself eventually - she just wants a general idea - and that's what she got...

She will know which one to join from her GUT FEELING, but that will never change the images of those houses to the general public and the greek system... Catch my drift?

GO BEACH!!!

Diamond Delta 07-20-2004 11:34 AM

Ditto on the asking fraternity boys their opinion. I heard the same three names mentioned over and over again by the boys I talked to. One of them I definitely didn't want and the other two I was totally unfamiliar with. But I had "decided" one of them was for me. I totally ended up getting a group that no one had mentioned before and not only was it my first choice, it was the perfect fit!

The next year at recruitment we found out that one of our members bf was talking us up at all of his parties to the rushees (probably thought he was being helpful)-and several of them found him off putting and insincere and we didn't take any of those girls. We made quota and all, but we were miffed that the girls had a preconceived notion that may or may not have been true.

GeekyPenguin 07-20-2004 11:43 AM

I rushed Gamma Phi over another sorority on the advice of my boyfriend's fraternity brothers, whom I really respected. It was the best advice I have ever taken.

TLLK 04-27-2017 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navane (Post 793589)
As a Long Beach State alumna, and a Gamma Phi Beta, I can tell you that the CSULB Greek Life website is not that helpful. :( It's a nice looking website, but the information for NPC recruitment seems sort of like an afterthought - just the dates and application. Plus, not all of the NPC chapters have a local website. Please note, however, that Alpha Omicron Pi does have a website. The Greek Life Office hasn't gotten around to updating the listing yet. Their website address is: http://www.aoiicsulb.org/

http://www.csulb.edu/divisions/stude...eek/index.html is the link directly to the Greek Life home page.

I am flattered that you seem to like Gamma Phi Beta so much. Though, I am not sure why you favor my organization over all the others! There are some really fantastic sororties at both universities! I echo what the others are saying. Go through recruitment with the idea that you'll at least give all of the groups a fair chance. Allow yourself to be open to finding out which one truly speaks to your heart. If you do that, you can't go wrong. :)

Best Wishes,

Would like to point out that this very unhelpful website still has recruitment information for FALL 2015 on its Panhellenic Recruitment sub-forum.

DeltaEmi88 04-28-2017 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLLK (Post 2430938)
Would like to point out that this very unhelpful website still has recruitment information for FALL 2015 on its Panhellenic Recruitment sub-forum.

You should also know that you just bumped a thread that was last updated 13 years ago.

Cheerio 04-28-2017 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLLK (Post 2430938)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaEmi88 (Post 2430976)
You should also know that you just bumped a thread that was last updated 13 years ago.

Perfect point in both cases. Wake up, Rip Van Winkles.

It is also kind of fun seeing all the old GC screen names!

TLLK 04-28-2017 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaEmi88 (Post 2430976)

Oh I was aware of that however we do have PNMs who will have recently received their acceptance letters to both universities and might be considering joining a GLO.;)

Both have had NPC sororities return to these campuses and reestablish their chapters.

The "unhelpful website" that I was referring to was the CSULB Greeklife site. (Which was the one referred to in navane's post.)

stufield 04-28-2017 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannagogreek (Post 792570)
Not south dakota state university, I am interested in san diego state university

Duh! Everyone reading this thread, including wannagogreek, knew that!