GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Collegians writing recs (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=75639)

adpiucf 02-24-2006 03:30 PM

Collegians writing recs

I'm volunteering at an AP Open House and their info sheet about how PNMs can get recs has some info that didn't look right. It reads that only 3 sororities allow collegians to write recs!

I know there's more than 3 sororities that offer this option!

Want to help me with a quick survey? While I personally think it's best to get your recs from an alum, if an AP is going to offer the item on their info sheet, it might as well be 100%!

Sororities That Allow Collegians to Submit Recommendation Forms for a PNM going through recruitment at a university other than the collegian's university

(list so far)
ADPi
ZTA
DG
KD
Phi Mu
Tri-Delta
Alpha Xi Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Chi Omega
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Alpha Phi

(thanks! I'll add to the above list as responses come in.)

Whether or not your sorority is listed, all collegiate sorority members should personally verify whether or not their organization permits collegians to write recs before proceeding to write/send one.

Unregistered- 02-24-2006 03:36 PM

Alpha Gamma Delta allows her collegians to write recs.

I'm thinking the majority of the NPCs allow their collegians to write recs. :confused:

AlphaFrog 02-24-2006 03:39 PM

I don't think ASA has anything spesifically AGAINST collegians writing recs, but they're not weighted as heavily as alum recs (I believe)

PenguinTrax 02-24-2006 03:59 PM

ZTA allows collegians to submit 'recs', however the collegian must follow procedure re: forms, etc.

33girl 02-24-2006 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AlphaFrog
I don't think ASA has anything spesifically AGAINST collegians writing recs, but they're not weighted as heavily as alum recs (I believe)
Umm, yeah, I was wondering where this info came from since if we even have a formal rec form anymore, I don't know where it would be.

AUDeltaGam 02-24-2006 04:56 PM

Delta Gamma does.

sageofages 02-24-2006 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PenguinTrax
ZTA allows collegians to submit 'recs', however the collegian must follow procedure re: forms, etc.
Ditto for Phi Mu.

PKTKKG 02-25-2006 02:36 PM

Kappa also allows collegians to write recs for women going through recruitment at another school.

carnation 02-25-2006 02:55 PM

I really don't think that Pi Phi actives can but I'll defer to dakareng on that...

I bet Chi Os can't because as it is, they require 2 people--alums, I guess--to sign the rec. Luckily, with 2 Chi Os in our house, they can do tag team recs here; local girls call the house because both Ballerina and Blazercheer can sign the recs at once.

dakareng 02-25-2006 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by carnation
I really don't think that Pi Phi actives can but I'll defer to dakareng on that...

Pi Beta Phi requires the RIFs be sent by alumnae members. A collegiate member could certainly send a Legacy Introduction (which does not take the place of a RIF) and can write a personal letter but not an official RIF.

kdonline 02-26-2006 03:39 PM

Kappa Delta allows collegians to write recs, too.

AlphaFrog 02-27-2006 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 33girl
Umm, yeah, I was wondering where this info came from since if we even have a formal rec form anymore, I don't know where it would be.
I think that's kind of my point. I don't believe we have a formal rec policy right now, so I guess there wouldn't be anything spesifically against a collegiate writing a rec.

miss_rosey 02-28-2006 11:33 AM

Tri Delta allows it.

FuzzieAlum 03-01-2006 11:06 AM

AXD does I presume because our form allows you to check that you are an alum or a collegian:
http://www.alphaxidelta.org/pdfs/MemberProfile.pdf

AlphaFrog 03-01-2006 11:24 AM

I just searched our bylaws and proceedures, and recs are only mentioned two places.

In our bylaws it says all rec need to be given courteous considertation in accordance w. national policy.

In our policy, it says that scholarship and high school activities can be verified by alumnea recs.

So I guess it's sort of open to interpretation. Bylaws say all recs, and policy mentions alumnea recs, but doesn't say "no collegiate recs".