GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Alpha Delta Pi, Phi Mu, & Macon, GA (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=32861)

carnation 08-15-2004 12:08 PM

We drove past Wesleyan yesterday in a trip down to south Georgia...so beautiful!

IheartAphi 08-15-2004 08:38 PM

My mom's family is from Macon and we go there all the time

It just cracks me up the "Macon Magnolias". While Macon has beautiful Magnolia trees, they are best known for the UNBELIEVABLE Cherry Blossom trees. However, its not as slangy

My Great Aunt was an ADPi at Wesleyan

honeychile 08-15-2004 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by IheartAphi
My mom's family is from Macon and we go there all the time

It just cracks me up the "Macon Magnolias". While Macon has beautiful Magnolia trees, they are best known for the UNBELIEVABLE Cherry Blossom trees. However, its not as slangy

Yeah, I think using "cherries" in any slogan is definitely NOT the way to go...

ADPiAkron 08-15-2004 10:28 PM

Not to sound trashy, but it is kinda like the same reason we are moving away from Pi's! hee hee

IheartAphi 08-16-2004 05:23 PM

I definetly agree that Magnolia is the way to go.

The trees are BEAUTIFUL though. If you girls ever go to Macon, you have to try a Nu Way Weiner. I bet your founders ate them. (maybe not, but they are the best hotdogs in the world)

honeychile 08-16-2004 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by IheartAphi

Whoa - I just noticed this part! Was she an Adelphean, or an ADPi? And, if I'm not too nosy, what was her name? How exciting!!

mystikchick 05-11-2007 11:49 AM

this is really old, i know, but i thought the chapter thing was kinda cool - we have two xi chapters - psi u and theta

Queenmum 05-25-2007 08:05 PM

A Macon Memory

For years, I was a local Pageant director in Minnesota. We have a Winter Carnival in the coldest days of January. (Scandanavians are desperate for entertainment in the winter months!) Every year, the reigning Queen from the Macon Cherry Blossom Festival would fly up here for our events!She had the most gorgous pink crystal crown, a pink sash,a sparkling pink gown, a pink fur coat, everything cherry blossom pink. Her director always accompanied her, and was a lovely mature woman in a soft pink suit. They were impeccably groomed and I always looked forward to seeing them!
It must have been hard to remain gracious during outdoor parades and events that chilled even the hardiest Northerners!! They were, and are, always lovely. While our Winter Carnival Royalty would attend the Macon Festival, I haven't made it there yet! Well, that is my impression of Macon, even though I veered off the thread subject. :p

honeychile 05-25-2007 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queenmum (Post 1455225)
For years, I was a local Pageant director in Minnesota. We have a Winter Carnival in the coldest days of January. (Scandanavians are desperate for entertainment in the winter months!) Every year, the reigning Queen from the Macon Cherry Blossom Festival would fly up here for our events!She had the most gorgous pink crystal crown, a pink sash,a sparkling pink gown, a pink fur coat, everything cherry blossom pink. Her director always accompanied her, and was a lovely mature woman in a soft pink suit. They were impeccably groomed and I always looked forward to seeing them!
It must have been hard to remain gracious during outdoor parades and events that chilled even the hardiest Northerners!! They were, and are, always lovely. While our Winter Carnival Royalty would attend the Macon Festival, I haven't made it there yet! Well, that is my impression of Macon, even though I veered off the thread subject. :p

But such a lovely way of describing the Macon Cherry Blossom Festival Queen! Who would have ever thought her "duties" would include a visit to Minnesota, had you not told us?

ktbug10474 01-06-2008 11:33 PM

if yall get a chance yall should definitely road trip to macon!!!! you would have to fly in to atlanta first and then drive down (only an hour and 15 min .. when traffic is good lol)

definitely go see wesleyan, the campus is gorgeous!!! they just finished the new building too!!! from what i recall i remember there being a phi mu room there, not sure about adpi.

and then take a trip to downtown macon.... go see the cannonball house *has the original meeting rooms for both sororities recreated*, the hay house *it's the sister house to cannonball*, washington park(it's gorgeous), and of course 1842 inn.

and if you plan to stay a couple of nights definitely eat at satterfields or finchers or both (they both have the best bbq in town)

BUT AND I DO MEAN BUT!!!

if and when you do come to macon... come during the cherry blossom festival!!!! the weather is perfect not to hot not to cold. and the japanese cherry trees are in full bloom i believe the only other place this type of tree is at is in dc. and you'll probably be in shock at first because EVERYONE wears pink including the men!!! and we also dye a poodle pink *it's safe i promise*

http://www.cherryblossom.com/

there's the link for the festival this year!!!

Thetagirl218 01-07-2008 01:13 AM

This is an old thread I know, but as I started rekindled old memories!!! There was (still is) an Alpha Chi Omega Chapter at my campus, and I happened to have many friends in it. We often thought it was neat that our Alpha chapters were at the same campus (Depauw University in Greencastle, IN)!!! We thought it was cool kinda semi-sister sorority connection (Nothing Official)!!!

SWTXBelle 01-07-2008 07:43 AM

Syracuse Triad

Just wanted to say that I too feel a special bond with my Triad cousins. (love, love those A Phis and AGDs!)
I drive through Macon all the time - but haven't had time to stop and smell the cherry blossoms yet!

Phi_Mu_DK_2008 12-07-2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi (Post 437082)
Ok ... here's something really weird ...I saw today that Kappa Delta's chapter at Bowling Green State Univ. is also their Beta Mu chapter ... How about that ... three chapters on the same campus with the same chapter name.

And just to make things even crazier here at BG the Phi Mu chapter is the Delta Kappa chapter!! Talk about confusion!! So around the house the Kappa Delta's (it feels odd typing it in that order) are KD's and our chapter is Delta Kappa... Oh BG...

BabyPiNK_FL 12-07-2008 10:21 PM

Getting back on track...I am so excited that I'll have the chance to head to Georgia this year and finally see the HQ! It opened when I was a Phi and I've never been.

I've always thought fondly about the sisters of ADPi and can't help but think of them as a "sister" to us.

One of my sisters actually pledged a chapter of ADPi before transferring and rushing again and we always think of it as a strange coincidence. She loved both experiences dearly.

It is really nice to have another sorority founded at the same school. Although I can't imagine when they were actually being founded right on top of one another that the other chapters felt that way at the time . ;)

megmc 05-27-2009 01:17 AM

that's funny, because I had a great rush at Phi Mu and then joined Alpha Delta Pi at Indiana U, and those were my favorites going through rush! We also did have several pair parties too, but I never knew the connection between sororities..cool!