GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Wearing sorority letters (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=142299)

Kiekie895 06-22-2014 11:05 AM

Wearing sorority letters

I'm about to be a sophmore in college and there is a sorority that is not on my campus that I love. My mom was a member when she was a student so she has all her old shirts. I would like to join the sorority but as a nursing student I don't know if I am going to be able to afford it or give it the time it requires. Can I wear the sorority letters without being an actual member? What's your opinion?

ASUADPi 06-22-2014 11:12 AM

I wouldn't considering you are thinking about joining a sorority on your campus. As a legacy, I'm sure you are incredibly proud of your mom's chapter, but I would reserve wearing the shirts as night shirts or something.

Your mom might know her sororities official policy when it comes to legacies wearing letters. I have a sister who lets her elementary age daughter wear letters but she is also only 10. It's quite obvious that she isn't old enough to be in a sorority.

As for joining a sorority while in nursing school, sisters do it all the time. It is a matter of balancing your schedule and not over extending yourself. If you would like to go through recruitment at your school, I say go for it. What do you have to lose.

33girl 06-22-2014 11:14 AM

NO NO NO NO NO.

It doesn't matter if the sorority is on your campus or not, wearing letters of a group you are not a member of is unacceptable. If you want to gain campus fame as the lame wannabe, this is the way to do it.

But I don't understand how you say you would like to join the sorority. If it's an NPC group, you can't join a group not on your campus.

AZTheta 06-22-2014 12:46 PM

Why would you even think about doing this? Baffled.

My opinion, since you asked: it's a bad idea.

DrPhil 06-22-2014 01:02 PM

Oh...this was a serious question?

FSUZeta 06-22-2014 02:18 PM

My daughter's sophomore year in college the president of her chapter was a nursing student. It can be done, and that girl did it well. Don't wear your mom's letters-join and earn your own.

DubaiSis 06-22-2014 03:17 PM

You absolutely positively may NOT wear letters that are not your own, except in situations where it says ABC daughter or a philanthropy t-shirt or something that clearly delineates you as NOT a member.

I am very torn between telling you to suck it up and rush (I had PLENTY of sisters in college who were in a very rigorous nursing program, and pre-med and other tough majors) and telling you you have no business evening thinking about it since being in a sorority is not about wearing the letters. My instinct is for you to research carefully a 2 or 3 letter combination that exists nowhere in real life and make a shirt out of that. People will ask you about it and find you extremely weird for making up your own sorority letters but at least you won't have to add being considered extremely offensive to the list.

misscherrypie 06-22-2014 03:28 PM

Please don't....

One of my littles became a member of our sorority a year before she began nursing school, and although she chose not to run for an officer position this year, she's still very active and involved in sorority while keeping up her 3.9 GPA as a nursing student. It can be done and done well!

I have a legacy daughter, and I wouldn't let her wear my letters if and unless she became a member of my organization. Rationale is: letters are a privilege for members to wear.

alum 06-22-2014 05:38 PM

I saved my Kappa shirts for decades hoping that my legacy daughter would end up a sister as well as daughter. Alas, that was not to be and I repurposed all of the garments into a quilt. OP could do that as a surprise to her mother.