GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Academics (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   3 PA State Schools May Merge (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=247396)

*winter* 10-15-2020 06:22 PM

3 PA State Schools May Merge

Clarion, Edinboro, Cal U

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pittsbu...le-merger/amp/

Wonder what happens to GL?

IMO this is a result of spending too much on fancy dorms and amenities for colleges that caters to lower income students...

33girl 10-15-2020 07:33 PM

As far as we know, this is a merging of the online program and some administrative functions only. No campuses are closing and none of them will become “branches” of another (especially since Clarion already has a branch campus).

33girl 10-15-2020 07:39 PM

It is not a “merger” (the word is never mentioned) but an “integration.” KDKA obviously is trying to get views and clicks by calling it a merger.

Dear Clarion Universtiy Alumni,

Today, the Board of Governors of Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education affirmed moving to the next phase in a process that would potentially integrate Clarion, Edinboro and California universities. The affirmation follows several months of exploration that determined that integration would help the individual universities and the State System as a whole achieve financial sustainability.

Details of the plan are being discussed, but if ultimately approved next summer, the three universities would become one accredited entity with a single leadership and budget and a unified enrollment management strategy.

Would Clarion University continue to exist? Absolutely! In fact, the integration would ensure our ability to continue providing the exceptional education for which Clarion University has been known since we opened our doors in 1867.

Leveraging combined scale would create expanded opportunities for the traditional face-to-face student experience, deliver new online offerings, as well as uncover cost efficiencies, which would keep Clarion University and other State System universities accessible.

Through the collective talent of the faculty and staff at Clarion, California and Edinboro, we would reconceive, rebuild, refresh and expand what we offer to students. We would help shape the future of public higher education, not just in Pennsylvania, but nationwide.

Our current and future students would have access to a more diversified academic programming array than Clarion alone could offer, yet they would still enjoy what makes Clarion University unique. Collectively, the three universities serve more than 16,000 students, and we see this an opportunity for a greater number of students to experience what separates Clarion from other universities.

The integration would position the three schools to stand up a low-cost, high quality online undergraduate degree and degree completion program. Clarion repeatedly is recognized for excellence in online education. With the strength that California and Edinboro add, collectively we would develop a Pennsylvania-based, Pennsylvania-connected online program that’s affordable and relevant to careers in the commonwealth.

We are excited at the opportunities that lie ahead. The integration of Clarion, Edinboro and California universities, through combined scale and geographical proximity, would create opportunities to reach new markets of students and meet regional workforce needs.

Through this work, we would ensure not just the long-term viability of Clarion, but also of its 13 sister universities and Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education.

Dr. Dale

Dale-Elizabeth Pehrsson
President
Clarion University

*winter* 10-15-2020 10:39 PM

Yeah, I saw the KDKA story (at work, I don’t watch that crap!) it was very confusing. They mentioned that all three schools have nursing programs, as if they were only going to offer certain programs at certain schools?

33girl 10-16-2020 03:56 AM

That’s how some programs used to be...like IUP was the only place for SAHE and criminal justice, Clarion was library science etc. I don’t know if this was in writing or just a gentleman’s agreement, but it seemed to work better than all the schools trying to be all things to everybody. It is a SYSTEM, it needs to work as one instead of 14 individual parts.

Benzgirl 10-16-2020 08:47 AM

Not state schools and works well with what each school provides, Cleveland has 3 private schools that share resources. Students at the Cleveland Institute of Art and Cleveland Institute of Music take many of their non-major classes at Case Western Reserve University and they share a lot of amenities. Dorms are still school-specific because living arrangements are often focused on their majors.

Not an issue for Greek Life since only CWRU and only Case students are permitted to participate. But, CIA and CIM students can participate in other clubs at CWRU.

GoldenAnchor 10-16-2020 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzgirl (Post 2480940)
Not state schools and works well with what each school provides, Cleveland has 3 private schools that share resources. Students at the Cleveland Institute of Art and Cleveland Institute of Music take many of their non-major classes at Case Western Reserve University and they share a lot of amenities. Dorms are still school-specific because living arrangements are often focused on their majors.

Not an issue for Greek Life since only CWRU and only Case students are permitted to participate. But, CIA and CIM students can participate in other clubs at CWRU.

CIM and CIA students are able to participate in Greek Life at CWRU. It’s not very common but it’s certainly happened before.

CWRU students can also take some credits of CIM or CIA courses for no charge each semester if they’re interested in some of the more specific offerings.

GreekOne 10-16-2020 10:18 AM

This may be just the tip of the iceberg. A year or so ago the state commissioned a report to study the declining enrollment and financial issues within the PASSHE. The report recommended a reduction from 14 to 8. I saw a report this morning that freshmen enrollment is down 16% this year at 4 year universities. Clearly, this is tied to COVID. But, it could signal some big changes ahead for higher education. Will be interesting to see how this merger evolves.

carnation 10-16-2020 11:42 AM

A lot of Georgia colleges, technical colleges, and universities merged about 10 years ago. People were upset and there were a lot of bumps along the way, but everything seems to have worked out.

ASTalumna06 10-16-2020 12:53 PM

In case anyone was curious, per Irishpipes' Chapter Listing thread:

Active at all three:
Delta Zeta

Active at two:
Alpha Sigma Alpha
Alpha Sigma Tau
Phi Sigma Sigma
Sigma Sigma Sigma
Zeta Tau Alpha

Active at one:
Alpha Gamma Delta
Delta Phi Epsilon
Sigma Kappa

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishpipes (Post 2478244)
California University of Pennsylvania
California, PA
February
Campus Total=
Delta Zeta Zeta Epsilon 1958
Sigma Kappa Gamma Upsilon 1959
Sigma Sigma Sigma Gamma Gamma 1960-1991
Zeta Tau Alpha Delta Xi 1961-1978
Alpha Xi Delta Delta Eta 1963-1981

Alpha Sigma Tau Beta Phi 1983
Theta Phi Alpha Alpha Sigma 1985-2004
Phi Sigma Sigma Epsilon Tau 1990
Alpha Sigma Alpha Epsilon Upsilon 1990
Delta Phi Epsilon Beta Delta 1997-?

Clarion University
Clarion, PA
February
Quota=
Campus Total=50
Quota Last Year=
Delta Sigma Epsilon Alpha Zeta 1932-1956 National absorbed by Delta Zeta
Sigma Sigma Sigma Alpha Pi 1935
Delta Zeta Epsilon Theta 1956
Zeta Tau Alpha Delta Iota 1960
Alpha Sigma Tau Alpha Omicron 1966-2015
Alpha Sigma Alpha Gamma Omicron 1967-?
Alpha Xi Delta Zeta Beta 1970-1985

Phi Sigma Sigma Gamma Gamma 1971
Delta Phi Epsilon Epsilon Omicron 1987
Theta Phi Alpha Beta Kappa 1990-?

Edinboro University
Edinboro, PA
September
Quota=
Campus Total=36 (Fall 2018)
Quota Last Year=
Theta Sigma Upsilon Psi 1952-1959 National merger with Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Gamma Delta Alpha Tau 1959
Delta Zeta Iota Delta 1965
Sigma Sigma Sigma Gamma Rho 1967-1976/1992
Alpha Sigma Tau Alpha Tau 1968
Alpha Sigma Alpha Gamma Psi 1969
Alpha Xi Delta Zeta Epsilon 1970-1982
Zeta Tau Alpha Zeta Upsilon 1970
Delta Phi Epsilon Phi Iota 1971-1982

33girl 10-16-2020 01:35 PM

OMG. Chapters are not merging or closing. These schools are hundreds of miles apart.

Benzgirl 10-16-2020 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenAnchor (Post 2480944)
CIM and CIA students are able to participate in Greek Life at CWRU. It’s not very common but it’s certainly happened before.

My cousin's granddaughter is a Freshman at CIA and she said she couldn't go through recruitment Winter Semester. <shrug> Granddaughter of cousin would be a legacy of one of the sororities at CWRU.
I would agree that it is not very common, though.

ASTalumna06 10-16-2020 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2480953)
OMG. Chapters are not merging or closing. These schools are hundreds of miles apart.

Understood. Just figured since we're hear on Greekchat and the OP asked about Greek Life, I would post the Greek chapters on each campus ;)

P.S. Do you know why AST closed at Clarion? I can't say I remember.

shadokat 10-16-2020 05:08 PM

those aren't the only 3

https://www.wnep.com/article/news/lo...5-b545d94859ac

Mansfield, Lock Haven and Bloomsburg too. PASSHE is STRUGGLING BIG TIME. We've heard that Mansfield and Lock Haven may become Bloomsburg satellite campuses. Bloomsburg is already running their purchasing, HR and other functions. Mansfield has about 1,400 students and Lock Haven about 2,500 from what I've heard.

ASTalumna06 10-16-2020 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadokat (Post 2480965)
https://www.wnep.com/article/news/lo...5-b545d94859ac

Mansfield, Lock Haven and Bloomsburg too. PASSHE is STRUGGLING BIG TIME. We've heard that Mansfield and Lock Haven may become Bloomsburg satellite campuses. Bloomsburg is already running their purchasing, HR and other functions. Mansfield has about 1,400 students and Lock Haven about 2,500 from what I've heard.

Is it just me, or does Pennsylvania have A LOT of colleges and universities?

Every time I drive through the state, I see the number of signs on the highways indicating an exit for a school and think, "ANOTHER one?"

It became even more apparent recently when I drove north-south through the state with my bf who grew up in the south, and every other exit he asked, "Now what the heck is THAT school?" Granted, I've heard of a lot of them simply because AST has so many chapters in the state, but it does seem like there's one on every street corner. Ok, maybe not that many, but you get the idea.

I have to wonder how long they can all keep up, especially after the effects this pandemic will have on higher education.