GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Schools where you absolutely positively need recs (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=112718)

rococobaby 08-03-2010 11:14 PM

Thanks!! You're amazingly helpful...I will be an upperclassmen (sort of..sophomore!) so I'm sure reading that thread will help..

P.S. the part in your sig that says "flawness is not a word" makes me laugh EVERY TIME I see it :)

Nanners52674 08-03-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rococobaby (Post 1963047)
Thanks!! You're amazingly helpful...I will be an upperclassmen (sort of..sophomore!) so I'm sure reading that thread will help..

P.S. the part in your sig that says "flawness is not a word" makes me laugh EVERY TIME I see it :)

I think this post is especially helpful given your situation, and even address having a live in commitment.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...9&postcount=11

KSUViolet06 08-03-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rococobaby (Post 1963047)

Thanks, I try. I will say though, I know you mentioned being married at some point, and UM is a school with a very traditional Greek scene (mostly 18-22 non-marrieds) large houses, and rather strict live-in requirements. So that is something to think about.

Drolefille 08-09-2010 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rushez (Post 1965910)
Okay I checked my schools greek site and it says, "It is appropriate and highly encouraged for you to obtain your own letters of recommendation." I'm heading to UofA. So I'm guessing i need to get some? Okay now for the noob comment. What do they want in the recommendation?

Which A?

Also you need to get in touch with sorority alumnae. They will know what to put in the recs. Try contacting your local alumnae panhellenic, but first ask everyone you know who might be an alumna. Or know one. Or have heard of one.

33girl 08-09-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rushez (Post 1965915)
Fayetteville. So i just get a random alumnae to write a recommendation for me? That doesn't seem right.. but also i know each sorority has a website where they have standard rec forms but the only people i know who could fill them out would be my family and relatives. Don't know anyone else in this state and my rush starts on the 16th.

Um. Get your family and relatives to help you. Soon. Like, really, really, REALLY soon.

IrishLake 08-09-2010 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rushez (Post 1965915)
Fayetteville. So i just get a random alumnae to right a recommendation for me? That doesn't seem right.. but also i know each sorority has a website where they have standard rec forms but the only people i know who could fill them out would be my family and relatives. Don't know anyone else in this state and my rush starts on the 16th.

Keep in mind that only members of that organization can fill out a Rec form for you. If Aunt Suzy is unaffiliated, or she's an ABC, she can't fill out an XYZ rec form for you. Contact your local Panhell Alumnae office and see if some recs for you can be put together on a fast track.

kchaptergphib 08-09-2010 11:38 PM

@Rushez: YES. GO. GO NOW. (are you on the phone yet?!) You will need recs. Talk to all the women you know and ask them if they or anyone they know are alumnae from the sororities at UofArk. They do not need to have attended UofA, just a member of the organizations there.

IrishLake 08-09-2010 11:40 PM

That form is fine for a Kappa Delta to fill out and send in on your behalf. But only a KD sister can do it, active or an alumnae in good standing.

IrishLake 08-09-2010 11:52 PM

Send them a very polite email asking if it would be possible for any members to write you recs for Arkansas recruitment. Apologize for it being short notice. Mention you went to school overseas. You will have to supply a resume, a photo, and possibly your transcripts from your secondary school (if you can get them). If any women are willing to write you recs, be sure to express your gratitude. Best of luck! Let us know how things turn out!

IrishLake 08-09-2010 11:54 PM

Oh, and keep in mind that just because the Little Rock panhell group has a member to one org, doesn't mean that it is at your college. Only contact the ladies who belong to orgs that are at U of A. (For example, a Kappa Alpha Theta member is listed as a contact, but there is no chapter at Arkansas).

Rushez 08-09-2010 11:55 PM

Okay i will. thanks so much for the advice! i really appreciate it.

33girl 08-09-2010 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rushez (Post 1965933)
Oh man I'm so nervous now.. I don't know if i will be able to get this all together in time before the 16th. I found the local website, http://greaterlittlerockpanhellenic.tripod.com/id3.html with all there contact info. How should i go about this.. ask them for a rec?

Click on that link that says "sorority recruitment workshop" and then "sorority recruitment workshop handbook." See if you can still register with the Panhellenic.

psych 08-10-2010 01:19 AM

What about Arizona State University?

AZTheta 08-10-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psych (Post 1965975)
What about Arizona State University?

Paging AXORushAdvisor!

mtcu 08-19-2010 11:35 AM

Iowa State - helpful but not a must
Texas Christian Unviersity (TCU) - a 100% must