GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Can you pledge another sorority within the NPHC? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=226)

BabyGyrlTiffanee 05-22-2000 02:18 PM

Can you pledge another sorority within the NPHC?

What if I (hypothetically :rolleyes http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gifpledged Zeta and changed my mind, for what ever reason, and wanted to pledge Delta? I changed schools and went to a Delta information meeting and filled out an application, etc. Is there anyway of the members there finding out that I pledge another sorority, i.e. a national database of all NPHC members? If anyone has ever done this, how did you explain the change to friends, and family?

BabyGyrlTiffanee 05-22-2000 02:19 PM

I forgot the other colon http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif, LOL.

Quote:

Originally posted by BabyGyrlTiffanee:
What if I (hypothetically :rolleyes http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gifpledged Zeta and changed my mind, for what ever reason, and wanted to pledge Delta? I changed schools and went to a Delta information meeting and filled out an application, etc. Is there anyway of the members there finding out that I pledge another sorority, i.e. a national database of all NPHC members? If anyone has ever done this, how did you explain the change to friends, and family?

ZetaAce 05-22-2000 02:25 PM

NO, you can't pledge both. That is part of the Bylaws of the NPHC. If you do it and you get caught you will get kicked out of both of the organizations. There's no NPHC database of members, but remember the old adage: It's a small world after all!!

Brandee 05-22-2000 02:29 PM

Hypothetical, yeah right. Did you try and do this for real? If so, please tell us why?

BabyGyrlTiffanee 05-22-2000 02:34 PM

NO, but I know someone who claimed to have done this. I know for a fact that she pledged ZETA and she did transfer schools and when she came back she was sporting crimson and cream and saying she was now a DELTA. Like I said, she did pledge ZETA here at my school for sure, was very active here with the Zeta's so, I think she is telling the truth about her being a Delta now.

Quote:

Originally posted by Brandee:
Hypothetical, yeah right. Did you try and do this for real? If so, please tell us why?

gypsy 05-22-2000 03:48 PM

OH MY GOODNESS!!! This lady actually did this? Do you think that she could actually be true to either org. i seriously doubt it. It's like a relationship....she's playing them both and eventually it will catch up with her. That is really unbelievable. Do any greeks know if this is possible? http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif

BabyGyrlTiffanee 05-22-2000 04:09 PM

All I know is that she said Zeta wasn't for her and Delta is her true calling and she wanted to leave it like that. She also said, she was never a true Zeta because it wasn't in her heart. But, like I said, she did PLEDGE ZETA. Is this an excuse to pledge another sorority because you realized it "wasn't in your heart" http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif
Quote:

Originally posted by gypsy:
OH MY GOODNESS!!! This lady actually did this? Do you think that she could actually be true to either org. i seriously doubt it. It's like a relationship....she's playing them both and eventually it will catch up with her. That is really unbelievable. Do any greeks know if this is possible? http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif

tickledpink 05-22-2000 04:30 PM

I've never heard of this before. If she did so, it was done in dishonesty and she'll get caught. Let me ask you this, when you say she "pledged" Zeta, was it something unofficial, or did she actually complete the MIP process for Zeta Phi Beta, and then complete the MIP for DST?

------------------
>>>"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised... Proverbs 31:29-30

PinkPanther08 05-22-2000 04:39 PM

SKEEEEEEE WEEEEEEE to my Pretty in Pink Sorors!

I know of a situation where this happened. A young woman became a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha and when she transferred to another school in a different state she became a member of zeta! When she was found out the chapter of AKA sent a photo of her stepping with AKA and both or the sororities kicked her out and had her expelled!

Anyone who would do this is just weak.

BabyGyrlTiffanee 05-23-2000 08:27 AM

Yes, she did. I went to her coming out and everything. She was a member of Z PHI B first. LIke I said she was a very active part of the Zeta family here. I am confused why she did what she did, but she didn't want to discuss it.

Quote:

Originally posted by tickledpink:
I've never heard of this before. If she did so, it was done in dishonesty and she'll get caught. Let me ask you this, when you say she "pledged" Zeta, was it something unofficial, or did she actually complete the MIP process for Zeta Phi Beta, and then complete the MIP for DST?

AKAtude 05-23-2000 11:50 AM

I've never heard of this happening before, but I suppose it is possible. However, I'm sure that the dishonest deed will eventually catch up to them. If you know about it, then there is no telling who else knows about it as well. Remember the saying: Loose lips sink ships.

PositivelyAKA 05-26-2000 01:41 PM

that is so crazy, but it goes to show that some are in it for less then noble reasons and shouldn't be greek at all.

Ghostface-Killah 05-27-2000 01:13 AM

All I can say is DAMN!!!!!!!

prettygyrl 05-28-2000 02:27 AM

I am not greek although I am going to attempt it during the new school year. I also know that I have known my sorority of choice for over two years now. I absoulutely do not beleive that you could go through the entire process of becoming a part of one org and then decide it is not right for you. If that is what she is telling you then she is nuts! I beleive that a woman develops a deep love and respect (at least I have) for her org. even before she pledges. If this is true then know matter what school you go to you will always have these feelings. This girl is not only untrue to these orgs. she is untrue to herself. It pains me to know that people are doing this. Most of the greeks that are in their orgs. worked hard to get where they are and even harder to maintain their memberships and keep their orgs. actively involved in the community and I think for someone to come along and play games or attempt to make a mockery of them is ignorant ass hell and I hope she gets caught. I wish everyone would do their research and and make sure that they are picking the right org. You have to love your org. and stand by it no matter what. If I am chosen to be a part of my org. of choice...... I could transfer to fifty schools in fifty different countries and it will always be the right one for me! I am sure most feel that way! Someones need to to school that girl on love, respect, and loyalty. If someone EVER told me they did something like that I would do anything I could to aid in her getting caught. Sisterhood an Service is not a game it is a serious lifetime commitment.

Finer Woman10-A-91 06-03-2000 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PositivelyAKA:
that is so crazy, but it goes to show that some are in it for less then noble reasons and shouldn't be greek at all.

AGREED!!!!!
It also makes you wonder about the motives of someone who would actually post such detailed information about an ISOLATED incident that is CLEARLY (unless you are sleeping under a rock) illegal.

http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif OF COURSE ITS NOT LEGAL...AND TO BE PERFECTLY STRAIGHT FORWARD ITS AN ACT OF COWARDICE, AND THE ACT OF A PERSON WHO HAS MAJOR IDENTITY AND SELF ESTEEM ISSUES...TO COMMIT SUCH A HEINOUS AND SELFISH ACT.

I AM FAMILIAR WITH THE INCIDENT OF DISCUSSION AND YES...THIS POOR LOST SOUL WAS EXPELLED FROM BOTH ORGANIZATIONS.

Another spin on this, in the 50's one of my elder Sorors told stories of how girls from other sororities at Howard would come and beg to be initiated into Zeta because their sorors treated them so bad. Personally, I think it's SICK. And I am GLAD that Pan-hell has STRICT rules against such practices today.

~too bad flogging is NOT legal~

[This message has been edited by Finer Woman10-A-91 (edited June 03, 2000).]

OneLove 06-04-2000 11:48 PM

I actually had a friend who decided to pledge a sorority because she thought one of the girls she met in this particular sorority was "cool". So she went online and while she was online she decided that this particular sorority wasn't for her, she wanted to pledge another sorority REALLY BAD, but was way in to deep to change her mind(information in all). Well her sorors found out because she told a couple of people on campus that she really didnt want to pledge the sorority she was online for after the probate show. By that time both sororities didnt want her. Her new found sorors would not talk to her and wouldn't invite her to any of their trips, stepshows, etc. and she was so scared to wear her letters in fear that she would be stripped of them. To make a long story short, her sorors accepted her mistake and she is working hard in this sorority now to make things better. This was going on for a year but her sorors are cool now, or so they seem.

QUEEN 06-06-2000 03:52 PM

DO WHAT YOU WILL WITH THEM, WE ALL MUST SEPARATE THE WEAK FROM THE STRONG, BUT IN THIS CASE IT IS JUST PLAIN GREED!!!!!!!

PandaBear 06-10-2000 05:40 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by prettygyrl:
[B]I am not greek although I am going to attempt it during the new school year. I also know that I have known my sorority of choice for over two years now.

Prettygyrl, it is good that you've done you're research on the greek org's at your school, but be careful - I went to my school for a year before pledging and thought I knew where I wanted to be. It turns out that I did a 180 and I chose and was chosen by a completely different organization! I'm glad you are setting your goals, but remember that it's not just what you want - they have to want you! I'm not trying to sound bad so please don't take offense...just wanted to let you know that God has a funny way of leading you down the right path when you least expect it!

This doesn't just happen in BGLO's - one of the org's on our campus pledged a girl all the way up to initiation, but the week of, when they processed her paperwork for membership, whoops - her SS# popped upon a sister list of another GLO not represented on campus!!! She has yet to show her face on campus again!!! She's probably in yet another organization somewhere using a fake # this time. Anyway its sad to see people do this and I hope that someone doesn't try this with my group!

PandaBear 06-10-2000 05:44 PM

It turns out that I did a 180 and I chose and was chosen by a completely different organization!

I guess I worded that wrong...what I meant was that I ended up choosing (and also being chosen by) another org! I didn't want that to sound like I put down ABC and XYZ chose me. Rather that while I thought I had wanted to be an ABC I ended up going XYZ! I'm so confusing sometimes http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/redface.gif

prettygyrl 06-11-2000 01:08 AM

Thanks Panda Bear! I appreciate your comments!

snazzylady 06-11-2000 07:58 AM

Your acquaitance needs to be expelled from both organizations. She had to lie to become a Delta because the questionnaire asks if you are a member of another NPHC organization OR if you ever pledged another NPHC org. Worst, she has broken her sacred vows to Zeta. She belongs to neither in my book.
I am a diehard AKA my mom is Zeta and most of my family is either Zeta or Delta, should they be allowed to switch so we can keep it in the family. I think not.
You can't try before you buy, then return it because it was not to your liking.
Prospectives need to choose carefully and wisely, this is a lifelong committment not a collegiate activity.

SapphireSensation 06-11-2000 10:24 AM

Ladies,
personally, I've always been one to check on my interests. When I was an undergrad, I had a solid rapport with the AKAs, Deltas and SGRhos on my campus and we would keep an eye out for such activity. If someone feels that they have joined the wrong sisterhood for them, they should either try to make the best of it and turn things around for the betterment of the organization or submit a letter of resignation (a turning in of the letters, if you will). I've always had the type of attitude, whereas, if something isn't going your way, don't sit on your tail and complain about it, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!
In any event, anyone who tries to get over and become a member of two Sororities, simultaneously should be shot! Seriously, they should be expelled from both organizations and her photo should be sent to all of Pan-Hel..so that she'll be black-balled for life.

txdiva 06-12-2000 07:37 PM

Let's say that you submit an application for ABC, but the line was dropped due to discrepancies within the chapter and all packets were returned. You feel there's another organization that appeal to you more than the first, XYZ. Is it possible that you can apply to XYZ since you never really undergone a process with ABC? I have heard about many people who have done this.

GammaSigPrez 06-14-2000 11:09 PM

I am not affiliated with any NPHC org. but I was wondering what happens if someone was in for ex. Zeta Phi Beta at one school and transfered to a school were there was not a chapter of ZPB? Then could that person join another NPHC sorority like Alpha Kappa Alpha or Delta Sigma Theta?
I was just curious...

12dn94dst 06-14-2000 11:43 PM

The NPHC Sororities are lifetime commitments and lifetime memberships. If a Zeta (or AKA, Delta, SGRho) attends a school where there is no chapter she could join a local Alumnae chapter, be a member at large or, if an interest for her organization is there, charter a new chapter.

[This message has been edited by 12dn94dst (edited June 14, 2000).]

DigitalAngel126 06-12-2003 02:42 PM

About three years late with this one...But interesting!! I did know a girl in a NPC GLO that wanted to go NPHC after she transferred schools...Heh.

JustThinking 06-20-2009 06:50 PM

EXPELLED???

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkPanther08 (Post 1532)
SKEEEEEEE WEEEEEEE to my Pretty in Pink Sorors!

I know of a situation where this happened. A young woman became a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha and when she transferred to another school in a different state she became a member of zeta! When she was found out the chapter of AKA sent a photo of her stepping with AKA and both or the sororities kicked her out and had her expelled!

Anyone who would do this is just weak.

I don;t think that expulsion was called for. That is not something the school should play a part in. Kicking someone out of NPHC is one thing, but school??? RIDUCULOUS. :mad:

knight_shadow 06-20-2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustThinking (Post 1818294)
I don;t think that expulsion was called for. That is not something the school should play a part in. Kicking someone out of NPHC is one thing, but school??? RIDUCULOUS. :mad:

I'm guessing she meant expelled from the sororities, not the school.

But we can't check that because the post is nine years old.

moe.ron 06-22-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight_shadow (Post 1818315)
I'm guessing she meant expelled from the sororities, not the school.

But we can't check that because the post is nine years old.

Hehe, seriously, what up with people bumping old threads?

33girl 06-22-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moe.ron (Post 1818585)
Hehe, seriously, what up with people bumping old threads?

JustThinking....isn't.

JustThinking 06-26-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1818622)
JustThinking....isn't.

Ugh :(

Xidelt 06-26-2009 11:26 PM

BA ity?

XODUS1914 07-10-2009 02:14 PM

In the NPHC world there is only one scenario that this can legally exsist. A guy joins Iota Phi Theta in undergrad prior to 1997. He then gets out of college and decides to join a NPHC frat because there is no IPT precense in his area, also prior to 1997. 1997 rolls around, IPT becomes a NPHC member and wham! this guy is officially part of two NPHC orgs.
I know this happened at least once.

rhoyaltempest 07-10-2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XODUS1914 (Post 1824915)
In the NPHC world there is only one scenario that this can legally exsist. A guy joins Iota Phi Theta in undergrad prior to 1997. He then gets out of college and decides to join a NPHC frat because there is no IPT precense in his area, also prior to 1997. 1997 rolls around, IPT becomes a NPHC member and wham! this guy is officially part of two NPHC orgs.

This is not "legal" since (and I think all the NPHC orgs have this rule; written or not) once you initiate into a general/social GLO (doesn't have to be NPHC), you are not permitted to join an NPHC org.

On the other hand, you can maintain dual membership in an NPHC org and a service, professional, or honors org.

So in this scenario that you know of, the person most likely lied to that NPHC org about being a member of another general/social GLO.

DrPhil 07-10-2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XODUS1914 (Post 1824915)

No.

If you know of this happening it is only because he slipped through the cracks. He should be stripped of his letters.

SensativAF 07-11-2009 02:09 PM

My question is what if the person withdrew from XYZ org and tries to pledge ABC org? Is there any rule against that? I know a person who was online with XYZ org and decided it was not for her. She is now trying to join ABC org. Any thoughts?

Psi U MC Vito 07-11-2009 02:21 PM

She was inline, but did she cross? That's the key question, because if she did she's out of luck.

rhoyaltempest 07-12-2009 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensativAF (Post 1825148)
My question is what if the person withdrew from XYZ org and tries to pledge ABC org? Is there any rule against that? I know a person who was online with XYZ org and decided it was not for her. She is now trying to join ABC org. Any thoughts?

If this person was not initiated into the organization, she is not a member and is free to seek membership in another org although the other org may not extend membership to her because she was trying to pledge a different org. This is totally up to the members how they choose to handle this. On the other hand, if someone has been initiated into a general/social glo, they cannot then change their mind and seek membership in an NPHC org and it doesn't matter if a person denounces or even officially leaves their first organization. If they were initiated into a general/social org, they are not permitted to join an NPHC org.

mccoyred 07-12-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest (Post 1825268)
If this person was not initiated into the organization, she is not a member and is free to seek membership in another org although the other org may not extend membership to her because she was trying to pledge a different org. This is totally up to the members how they choose to handle this. On the other hand, if someone has been initiated into a general/social glo, they cannot then change their mind and seek membership in an NPHC org and it doesn't matter if a person denounces or even officially leaves their first organization. If they were initiated into a general/social org, they are not permitted to join an NPHC org.

Please keep saying this until it sinks in!

aishaelle 08-14-2017 09:05 PM

Wow that's beyond belief! I knew this girl I was in college with she was so rotten, a very horrible person. She tried pledging AKA at Grambling State and was blackballed for one reason or the other. From that point, she moved to another campus and was fabricating stories about her parents being D9 ( neither of them ever went to college) she lied and said she had an older sister that died being hazed while pledging AKA and everything! Anything to try to make herself appeasing in some way. It was absolutely nuts. But I still don't think she ever went as far as actually pledging. I think the AKAs at GSU made sure no one in any D9 sorority would 3ver pledge her.