GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Can I leave a mgc frat and join an ifc frat? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=146475)

ihavetheanswers 03-09-2015 04:31 PM

Can I leave a mgc frat and join an ifc frat?

Is it possible for me to pledge or even join an ifc fraternity if I leave a mgc(multicultural) one? I've been in this mgc fraternity for a year and actually chartered it. However, I really have no connection or really like any of the guys that I'm with because they turned out to be different people after the pledge process was over. I didn't know what I was getting into before I pledged because I knew nothing about greek life at all and had no chance to rush for any other fraternity. With that being said, joining this fraternity is probably the biggest regret I have so far in my college life. After we crossed and were initiated, the reality was no one really puts in the effort in the organization I'm in at the moment besides me and 2 or 3 others, we are getting less members each semester, and we've been on academic probation our first 2 and only 2 semesters due to grades of some people in my class that were extremely low. Frankly, we are probably going to die in the next few semesters since we really haven't done anything of significance at all since we got established in fall 2013. I realized that the org I helped chartered on to the campus at my school wasn't really for me, but I don't know if I'm still allowed to pledge/rush for an ifc frat if I quit this mgc one since it is different councils at my school.

TLDR: Chartered a failing fraternity because less than 1/3 of the guys puts in the work and I want to actually experience greek life in an actually established setting instead of sitting around and doing nothing in my current organization and wasting my college years away.

Kevin 03-09-2015 04:43 PM

You'd have to ask that individual fraternity. For most of us, I'd say no. Also, there's no national IFC affiliation. That's through NIC, but many orgs in your IFC are not in NIC, and even some MCGLOs are NIC along with a few of the NPHC.

Sen's Revenge 03-09-2015 04:59 PM

Which MGC frat? It may depend.

ihavetheanswers 03-09-2015 05:03 PM

Pi alpha phi and also who should I talk to at my school about this?

Sen's Revenge 03-09-2015 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihavetheanswers (Post 2309882)
Pi alpha phi and also who should I talk to at my school about this?

I suppose your Greek life or student affairs coordinator.

PiKA2001 03-11-2015 12:47 AM

If your current fraternity isn't in the NIC then yes, theoretically you are able to join an NIC fraternity. I'd ask the specific fraternity you were wanting to join or ask the Greek life advisor if your school has a structured formal fraternity Rush.

tld221 03-11-2015 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihavetheanswers (Post 2309871)
Is it possible for me to pledge or even join an ifc fraternity if I leave a mgc(multicultural) one? I've been in this mgc fraternity for a year and actually chartered it. However, I really have no connection or really like any of the guys that I'm with because they turned out to be different people after the pledge process was over. I didn't know what I was getting into before I pledged because I knew nothing about greek life at all and had no chance to rush for any other fraternity. With that being said, joining this fraternity is probably the biggest regret I have so far in my college life. After we crossed and were initiated, the reality was no one really puts in the effort in the organization I'm in at the moment besides me and 2 or 3 others, we are getting less members each semester, and we've been on academic probation our first 2 and only 2 semesters due to grades of some people in my class that were extremely low. Frankly, we are probably going to die in the next few semesters since we really haven't done anything of significance at all since we got established in fall 2013. I realized that the org I helped chartered on to the campus at my school wasn't really for me, but I don't know if I'm still allowed to pledge/rush for an ifc frat if I quit this mgc one since it is different councils at my school.

TLDR: Chartered a failing fraternity because less than 1/3 of the guys puts in the work and I want to actually experience greek life in an actually established setting instead of sitting around and doing nothing in my current organization and wasting my college years away.

Fine, I'll QFP.

chi-o_cat 03-11-2015 09:02 AM

I don't know WHY, but every time I see this thread, I want to read it as "Can I leave a Magic Hat and join an IFC Frat?"

SWTXBelle 03-11-2015 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chi-o_cat (Post 2310023)
I don't know WHY, but every time I see this thread, I want to read it as "Can I leave a Magic Hat and join an IFC Frat?"

Me, too. That's a much more interesting thread.