GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment Stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   LIVE RECRUITMENT STORY! Fruity Frenzy (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=135595)

GreekGoer 08-20-2013 10:57 PM

LIVE RECRUITMENT STORY! Fruity Frenzy

Hey guys! SO I started Recruitment! Yesterday was the first day. I am sooo excited, but super tired so I am going to make this quick. I go to a school with 12 sororities. One of them is re-colonizing. I was super excited all summer and cannot believe rush is finally here! I thought I was going to come up with some super awesome theme but I am just too tired. Yesterday went really well and was way less nerve racking than what I've been building it up to be for myself. I know all the "tent talk" about the houses but I am doing a good job at keeping an open mind through out the experience so far. I really like houses I initially thought I wouldn't. I'm going to try to keep my identity hidden so I won't reveal too much info but just enough to give you guys an idea of how my time went for the first day...

* means I have a rec letter.

Banana *
Raspberry
Orange *
Strawberry
Kiwi
Mango
Blueberry *
Apple
Pear *
Peach *
Watermelon *

Yesterday I visited 6 out of 12 chapters for open house. They were Mango, Raspberry, Strawberry, Apple, Blueberry and Peach.

Mango I was totally not knowing what to expect when I was about to enter this house. The outside was cute. I was too tired from moving in the day before and waking up bright and early to have any emotion haha. HOWEVER, as soon as the doors opened to their house I could not stop but giggle and smile! It was so exciting seeing all of the ladies bouncing and singing! I loved it so much. The whole house was shaking and it was definitely the loudest house of the day which I liked. It went super well. It was hard to hear but I just said "I'm sorry, what?" and leaned in if I didn't hear something right. I barely remember the convos but I really liked this house. It was one of my favorites of the day. I felt really comfortable here despite the "tent talk" and the girls seemed easy to get along with. The second girl however that bumped me was a little hard to read. She seemed a little rude or like she didn't care or something but maybe it's because she just isn't as bubbly and hyper as the other girls.

Next was Raspberry. This house was really cute! I felt bad for the first girl who talked to me. I could tell she was really nervous. She almost seemed like she was the one trying too hard to impress me and I feel like it should have been the other way around if at all. The second girl was just really shy or something. She wasn't too good at making conversation. I don't really know what else to say but I felt awkward. The third girl who bumped me even felt the awkwardness! She had to kind of shove her way into the conversation and tell the other girl "Alright well I am going to talk to her now..." because the other girl just wasn't saying anything. The third girl was really really sweet! Our conversation flowed and was really nice. I feel bad because I really liked her but just did not feel a connection to the other two girls which makes this a least favorite house...

Third was Strawberry. I really liked this house also despite all of tent talk however I felt like I wasn't engaging myself enough in the conversation. I was soooo tired and was dazing off. The girls were SUPER sweet and bubbly and I think they liked me even though I feel like I did not do as well as I did in the other houses with my energy. One of the girls actually complimented me on my energy saying she could tell I was really positive and excited about the rush experience. So maybe that is a good thing, I don't know. All of the girls in my group loved this house though. It was seriously so pretty!! I hope I get invited back just because I feel like I could really connect with them if I got the chance.

Fourth was Apple I am not sure yet. The girl I talked to was AWESOME! We had the same name and she was so sweet!! I don't know if I'm interest in being a founder yet though. I want to wait and see what happens over the rest of the week.

Fifth was Blueberry this is one of the houses all the girls want to be in. I really liked all the girls I talked to. They were super sweet. One of the girls complained a little about other PNMs not being able to hold conversation which came off a little weird but she was still super nice. I really liked their song too!! The house is really cute. I hope I get invited back. I think I had the best conversations with these girls.

Last but not least was Peach The girls in this house were all super nice and talkative. I am a legacy to this house which I think they really liked. One of the girls seemed really excited about me and I feel like she really likes me. I cannot see myself at this house though. I felt like I was being fake when I was talking to the girls and I don't like that too much. I will probably keep this house high enough on my ranks though because I am a legacy.

Order of my favorites were:

Blueberry
Mango
Strawberry
Peach
Apple
Raspberry

I'm going to type up today right now!!

collegemom1 08-20-2013 11:10 PM

I'm enjoying your story! Can't wait to hear how today went for you. I love your honesty and candor. Good luck through the rest of the process! Thanks for sharing.

GreekGoer 08-21-2013 12:56 AM

So today I visited the remaining six houses!! It went a lot faster than yesterday!! Lots of fun. :) So I'll get right into it...!!!

Orange I really LOVED this house! The song was so cute! The girls were all so pretty and the conversations flowed really well. I feel like they really liked me too. It's kind of hard to tell though because I know they are supposed to be nice to everyone and make everyone feel welcome! I just feel like I would really comfortable in this house.

Pomegranate This house was kind of off to me. I did not feel like I would fit in here. I actually saw a girl I knew from high school who is now a part of the chapter! She was really sweet. The girls just seemed like kind of nervous and I had to like almost reassure them I feel like! They were nice and seemed down to earth but I felt kind of bored. I don't know, we shall see! I feel like I need another chance to get to know them.

Banana I had a lot of high expectations for this house!! I was actually really surprised with how down to earth they were. They were really pretty and seem like an awesome and diverse group of girls. All pretty and well rounded. I feel like they were really easy to talk to and I didn't have to be someone I'm not to impress them. I really hope I get invited back here. I want to get to know them better!

Kiwi I really liked some of the girls who rushed me. The first girl was really cute and sweet and the last girl loved to talk! haha she actually made sure we were the last ones out of the house. I did not mind though. The second girl was kind of hard to connect with. She was really nice but did not show a lot of emotion. I could not read her too well. They seemed really proud of their chapter and like they loved it. I don't know if I could see myself here though.

Pear This house is definitely full of a lot of smart girls!!! They were really nice but I don't know if I was able to get a connection. I felt like I had to try hard to seem smarter than I am to impress them. I did not feel as comfortable here as I did at some of the other houses. Their house is really cool looking though and it is full of a good mix of girls for sure.

Lastly was Watermelon A lot of girls loooove this house!!! Despite the tent talk I think they will have a good rush! I loved this house myself!! I had a ton in common with the girls and they were all really silly and fun. I love being goofy so it was cool to see a house that didn't stay in character and try to be as professional as the others. They let their silly side shine through which helped me feel more comfortable. I could see myself here too!!!

So at my school you pick your top 8 and then pick the 3 you'd rather not go back to.

My top 8:
Banana
Orange
Strawberry
Mango
Blueberry
Apple
Pear
Watermelon
Pomegranate

My bottom 3:
Raspberry
Kiwi
Peach

Tomorrow morning bright and early I see who my invites are! Wish me luck!!

UNFPNM 08-21-2013 01:19 AM

Good luck! I feel like recrutiment can be so stressful when you have so many sororites to go to, but it sounds like you're being very bubbly and outgoing!

littlesquirrel 08-21-2013 03:19 AM

I think it's good that you are trying to look past the tent talk. Good luck with recruitment!

AXOrushadvisor 08-21-2013 09:31 AM

I think I know what university this is. You didn't mention whether you have grades or not. I know 2 women who are going through right now and both have a 2.8 from HS. They both received letters saying that they would not have a successful recruitment with that GPA. They also told me the first night they talked about it a lot and a lot of women dropped out of the process. These two decided to go ahead and go through the process. I'm worried they will get completely released.

GreekGoer 08-21-2013 10:59 AM

I got a full schedule!! I am excited but sooo nervous I am like shaking. Haha. Wish me luck!! Yes lots of girls are supposed to get heavy cuts because of grades but I'm not asking anyone. I know some sophomores are rushing again because of grade cuts last year. I'll update you guys tonight!

MaryPoppins 08-21-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreekGoer (Post 2232817)
I got a full schedule!! I am excited but sooo nervous I am like shaking. Haha. Wish me luck!! Yes lots of girls are supposed to get heavy cuts because of grades but I'm not asking anyone. I know some sophomores are rushing again because of grade cuts last year. I'll update you guys tonight!

Best wishes!

Sciencewoman 08-21-2013 01:07 PM

Have fun, and keep an open mind!

littlesquirrel 08-21-2013 04:10 PM

Congrats on your schedule! Look forward to your update.

collegemom1 08-21-2013 07:47 PM

That is a wonderful start! Can't wait to hear how your day went today. I know it must have been a long day with 8 or 9 parties.

ASUADPi 08-21-2013 08:02 PM

For once I think I know the school.

Good luck with recruitment!

aephi alum 08-22-2013 12:14 AM

I'm confused. You listed 9 sororities in your "top 8". You mentioned that one sorority was re-colonizing - did they participate in round 1 and intend to hold their own recruitment later - and if so, which one?

Good luck!

GreekGoer 08-22-2013 01:53 AM

Ooops! Yes, I made a mistake and put Apple in my top 8 on here so it looks like I picked 9. I picked 8 and apple was not one of them. Apple does not participate in formal recruitment and we will not be going to their house anymore after the first day.

TODAY!! So, as I updated.. I got a full schedule!!

Orange
Strawberry
Mango
Blueberry
Pear
Peach
Watermelon
Pomegranate

So the only house I did not get invited back to from my top 8 was Banana. Which I am totally fine with. I went into rush thinking they would be my favorite and left the house feeling completely wrong about what I had thought I'd feel like when I went in. I knew they were not a match for me. The girls were all pretty and sweet but I feel like I did not speak with as many girls as some of the others and I just did not click. So, I was okay! I got my legacy house instead which I was happily surprised!

First was Peach, my legacy house. I really want to like this house and feel like I belong here but it just has not happened yet. The girls are really sweet and cute but I feel like it's not easy for me to engage in conversation here. I just do not feel like I fit in too well. Fitting and trying to build a strong relationship with the girls here I feel like would not come easy for me.

Next was Mango. I really enjoyed this house the first day!! Today was not quite the same but I still really liked it. The girls seem really passionate about their sorority and philanthropy. I like that. The last girl I had a really good long talk with about philanthropy and how being involved in greek life extends so far out of college and is truly a bond that is shared between sisters forever. I really liked her! They always have really cute songs here. Haha. We also met their house mother and she was ADORABLE. I am still not sure though about this one. It does not feel quite as right as some of the others.

Third was Pear and I know I don't want to be in this house. This house is full of a lot of smart and really involved girls and they should be so so so so proud because that is awesome! I am really striving for good grades and am looking forward to joining lots of clubs!! I can see why they would like to tell all of the PNMs about their accomplishments but it kind of intimidated me a little bit. I feel like they excel at so much and I would feel like I could never reach their standards. Not that they have them, but that's what it feels like. Also, I think every girl I had forgot to bring up their Philanthropy which I only realized once I had left the house and wished I had asked. I can see why so many girls love this house though. However, it is just not for me.

Fourth was Watermelon. Ohh my goodness do I love these girls!! Their outfits were by far the cutest today and their house may just be my favorite. The first girl I talked to I really could not read so I was starting to feel like she did not like me but the next three girls were awesome. Also, one of the girls who talked to me during set one recognized me and said hi and new my name! She was so sweet and I really had loved talking to her the first time at their house. I'm really liking this one and I could see myself here.

Fifth was Orange. Okay this house is officially my favorite! All of the girls are so pretty and sweet. They seem like they have so much fun. Their songs are so catchy and I really love their philanthropy! Their house is so pretty. Both of the times I have been to this house I have felt really good about my conversations. I really hope that I see them on my invite list tomorrow morning. It's hard getting attached to a house because of the possibility of disappointment... I just love them so much!!

Sixth was Strawberry and I definitely got a better feel for them so I am glad I got a second chance with them. The girls were all really nice and seemed excited to see me. This house is okay but I'm unsure about it. It's tied with Mango. Everyone is really sweet and everything but I feel not as excited about this one as some of the others. It just doesn't hit me as much as some of the others!! We shall see. I could see it growing on me though.

Pomegranate was seventh and all of the girls are really cute and seem like lots of fun and seem like they all have a good sisterhood with each other. This is another one I don' t think I fit in though. I don't really know what else to say it's just the connection is not there.

LASTTTTT but not LEASSSST was Blueberry! This house is my second favorite. It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cuteee!!!! The girls are really laid back and down to earth so I feel so comfortable here! I know this would be a great one to be a part of. There is so much diversity but an overwhelming sense of acceptance. The last couple of girls I talked to were awesome. The first girl it was really hard to hear each other which bummed me out because it's kind of an unfair situation not being able to hear the person rushing you and having to try and be engaging and conversational. I hope I see them on my invites tomorrow though!!!

So my rankings went....

Top 5:
Orange
Strawberry
Mango
Blueberry
Watermelon

Bottom 3:
Peach
Pear
Pomegranate

sigmagirl2000 08-22-2013 07:38 AM