GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   Re-rushing at a different school after transferring (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=234402)

Halkg 09-05-2017 05:00 PM

Re-rushing at a different school after transferring

So i know this has been asked probably 1000000 times but im really trying to get to the bottom of this because to me, the rule against re rushing after being initatited especially when you tranferred schools seems down right unfair. I understand the whole ceremonial aspect of initation but every chapter at every school is different and the whole process of mutual selection is defeated when you are told you MUST affiliate with you previous sorority even if you tranfer. All chapters are completely different and can differ a lot from the values your previous chapter was based on. Hence, here i am asking for advice on how to go about challenging or finding a loophole around this. I have heard such things about being "released" from my current sorority and then seeking re reushing in which i can affiliate with another NPC sorority but not initiate which is fine by me, I supposed i wouldnt pay national dues, but would pay all the other ones. I am wondering if i need to go to panhellenic in request for the permission to re rush or if i am just free to do so despite that it is frowned upon after i drop my current sorority. Looking for advice because i know this has been done before but im just not sure how to go about it. Please let me know if you have any information regarding this, thanks.

DGTess 09-05-2017 05:28 PM

THERE.
IS.
NO.
LOOPHOLE.

You didn't initiate into your chapter, but into your sorority.

tinydancer 09-05-2017 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGTess (Post 2440677)
THERE.
IS.
NO.
LOOPHOLE.

^^THIS!
(Please forgive my shouting)

33girl 09-05-2017 06:04 PM

Maybe once upon a time there was such a thing as a "social member" but insurance liability makes that completely impossible nowadays.

Have you attempted to get to know the women of the chapter at your new school? Or are you just making a snap judgement based on what you see online?

FSUZeta 09-05-2017 06:15 PM

Yes. Go to Panhellenic. Contact the NPC. They will all tell you what we have told everyone who has asked your question before. IF YOU ARE INITIATED, YOU ARE DONE. YOU MAY NOT join another sorority. No matter what reason you come up with. Your situation is not unique. You may not join a different sorority because you have gone through an initiation, where I believe no matter which one, you pledged to honor your sacred oath.

AZTheta 09-05-2017 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halkg (Post 2440675)
So i know this has been asked probably 1000000 times but im really trying to get to the bottom of this because to me, the rule against re rushing after being initatited especially when you tranferred schools seems down right unfair. I understand the whole ceremonial aspect of initation but every chapter at every school is different and the whole process of mutual selection is defeated when you are told you MUST affiliate with you previous sorority even if you tranfer. All chapters are completely different and can differ a lot from the values your previous chapter was based on. Hence, here i am asking for advice on how to go about challenging or finding a loophole around this. I have heard such things about being "released" from my current sorority and then seeking re reushing in which i can affiliate with another NPC sorority but not initiate which is fine by me, I supposed i wouldnt pay national dues, but would pay all the other ones. I am wondering if i need to go to panhellenic in request for the permission to re rush or if i am just free to do so despite that it is frowned upon after i drop my current sorority. Looking for advice because i know this has been done before but im just not sure how to go about it. Please let me know if you have any information regarding this, thanks.

re: the bolded. What? I don't think so. This is untrue.

The only "release" is when new members are released from an NPC sorority prior to initiation, such as when a chapter is closed for one reason or another. Those new members have not been initiated. They are released and are free to join other chapters.

You're initiated: one and done. Period.

Would love to know specifics as to your claim that "I know this has been done before".

dukedg 09-05-2017 06:51 PM

Quote:

I understand the whole ceremonial aspect of initation but every chapter at every school is different and the whole process of mutual selection is defeated when you are told you MUST affiliate with you previous sorority even if you tranfer. All chapters are completely different and can differ a lot from the values your previous chapter was based on.

Delta Gamma does not require a member to affiliate with another DG chapter if she transfers; she can remain a DG alumna on that new campus. Are you sure you're required to affiliate?

You can't join another NPC no matter what. Period. This was more about the affiliation section of your post.

carnation 09-05-2017 06:54 PM

Quote:

understand the whole ceremonial aspect of initation but every chapter at every school is different and the whole process of mutual selection is defeated when you are told you MUST affiliate with you previous sorority even if you tranfer.

Nobody demands that you affiliate with your group on the new campus. They might even vote not to let you affiliate.

Someone asked recently why we keep getting this question. I think it's like Dear Abby's "Yale student" problem back in the day--they kept creating fake letters to try to get a rise out of her.

thetalady 09-05-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

I understand the whole ceremonial aspect of initation but every chapter at every school is different and the whole process of mutual selection is defeated when you are told you MUST affiliate with you previous sorority even if you tranfer.

WHAT?? If anyone told you that you MUST affiliate with your sorority after transfer, they are completely wrong. You are absolutely not required to join the chapter of your initiated sorority after transferring. You may remain unaffiliated if you choose and will become an alumna when you graduate.

You may not ever, under any circumstance, no matter what kind of unique and never before anticipated situation you are in, join a different NPC sorority.

Your choices are to request affiliation with your current GLO or forgo Greek life after transferring. There is no third option.

"Ceremonial aspect" of initiation? Oh my, I am afraid that you missed the whole meaning of that process entirely. Sorority membership is not simply ceremonial. It has meaning and you made a commitment, kind of like a marriage vow.

Titchou 09-05-2017 07:18 PM

STOP! Why do we keep getting variations on this question? There is no such thing as a unique situation that will give you a "get out of jail free" card. As my dear Panhellenic sister AZTheta said -it's one and done. why drop out of your current group if you are transfering? Just be an alum. Sorry, that's your best option.

AZTheta 09-05-2017 07:30 PM

I think carnation is on to something. We get these types of posts; go check the public profile, the OP never comes back and logs on after stirring the pot or even responds.

Whatever.

ASTalumna06 09-05-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

So i know this has been asked probably 1000000 times but im really trying to get to the bottom of this because to me, the rule against re rushing after being initatited especially when you tranferred schools seems down right unfair.

:rolleyes:

Quote:

I understand the whole ceremonial aspect of initation but every chapter at every school is different and the whole process of mutual selection is defeated when you are told you MUST affiliate with you previous sorority even if you tranfer. All chapters are completely different and can differ a lot from the values your previous chapter was based on.
So your philosophy is that women should be able to jump from campus to campus, drop the sorority they made a commitment to, and join another? What about alumnae chapters? They're all different, too. So what, you graduate, move to a new town, and you should be able to drop your sorority and join another through alumnae initiation because.. people are different, and it's all so unfair?

Quote:

Hence, here i am asking for advice on how to go about challenging or finding a loophole around this.
You're asking lifelong sorority members for advice on how you can cheat the system?

Quote:

I have heard such things about being "released" from my current sorority and then seeking re reushing in which i can affiliate with another NPC sorority but not initiate which is fine by me, I supposed i wouldnt pay national dues, but would pay all the other ones.
So you want to drop out of your current sorority, re-rush, but only to hang out with the new sorority, not initiate, and get all the benefits of membership without paying or taking on any responsibilities that go along with being a member?

Double :rolleyes:

Quote:

I am wondering if i need to go to panhellenic in request for the permission to re rush or if i am just free to do so despite that it is frowned upon after i drop my current sorority. Looking for advice because i know this has been done before but im just not sure how to go about it. Please let me know if you have any information regarding this, thanks.
I just... I just can't anymore.

ladybug12 09-05-2017 07:57 PM

My opinion:

Millennial Snowflake.

33girl 09-05-2017 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukedg (Post 2440686)
Delta Gamma does not require a member to affiliate with another DG chapter if she transfers; she can remain a DG alumna on that new campus. Are you sure you're required to affiliate?

You can't join another NPC no matter what. Period. This was more about the affiliation section of your post.

I am not trying to add fuel to the OPs fire, but I could have sworn that several years ago, we were talking about a particular NPC that if you transferred, you HAD to affiliate with the chapter at your new school or your membership was revoked. Key words are "several years ago."

clemsongirl 09-05-2017 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2440695)
I am not trying to add fuel to the OPs fire, but I could have sworn that several years ago, we were talking about a particular NPC that if you transferred, you HAD to affiliate with the chapter at your new school or your membership was revoked. Key words are "several years ago."

I do feel like I remember discussing this as well, that some people were wary about counseling students to transfer because if they did so and couldn't afford it or didn't mesh with the chapter their only option was to resign their membership entirely. DeltaBetaBaby might have been involved? I don't want to use the GC search to find it but I think it happened too.