GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Community Service / Philanthropy (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Service Incentive Program (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=140168)

AlphaGlamma 03-16-2014 10:45 PM

Service Incentive Program

Hey guys! So my chapter has been really struggling to attend the other philanthropy events of other chapters and those chapters are starting to notice. I'm the Philanthropy Chair and I would really like to see more of the girls at events. We were thinking about doing an incentive program for those events (which we could possibly extend to include/reward service hours). Have any of you done any incentive programs for philanthropy events that have worked? I am preferably looking for something cheap or free (I was considering a reward of a Designated Driver for three nights in the upcoming semester since I could do that for free, for instance).

Let me know if you have any ideas!

ASTalumna06 03-16-2014 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaGlamma (Post 2265900)
Hey guys! So my chapter has been really struggling to attend the other philanthropy events of other chapters and those chapters are starting to notice. I'm the Philanthropy Chair and I would really like to see more of the girls at events. We were thinking about doing an incentive program for those events (which we could possibly extend to include/reward service hours). Have any of you done any incentive programs for philanthropy events that have worked? I am preferably looking for something cheap or free (I was considering a reward of a Designated Driver for three nights in the upcoming semester since I could do that for free, for instance).

Let me know if you have any ideas!

I wouldn't do a designated driver service, as aside from the obvious problems, that might not be something that every sister would want. If there are any sisters who rarely or never drink, a DD program won't motivate them to get involved.

I don't know that I've heard of chapters making it a requirement to attend other fraternity/sorority philanthropy events, but you could put it to a vote that every sister has to attend at least one event per semester.

ETA: By the way, you only have to post your question in one forum.

Xidelt 03-16-2014 11:08 PM

I'm so not a fan of Sober Sister/DD programs. There is such a huge risk in these. Please check with your risk management policy before you move forward with that idea. It may not cover these kinds of activities.

AZTheta 03-16-2014 11:18 PM

Before you take on a "designated driver" program, check with your HQ/insurance provider. It might not be something that is permitted under your risk management policies or insurance policies, especially if alcohol is involved.

AZTheta 03-16-2014 11:19 PM

Xidelt: jinx! buy me a coke!

Xidelt 03-16-2014 11:22 PM

I'm sending you a Coke right now!

AGDee 03-16-2014 11:28 PM

AlphaGlamma- Designated Drivers are not in line with our Risk Management policies so that is not a good incentive. Your Philanthropy Coordinator should have just received or will very soon receive a communication from their Philanthropy Committee member assigned to your Province/Area. She should reach out to that committee member with her questions. She'll find she is a valuable resource.

AlphaGlamma 03-17-2014 04:50 PM

I really didn't want to do the DD program. My roommate just mentioned it as an example of something free. Another idea was a "freebie" red event they could be excused from if they attend 90% of other philanthropy events or something.

ASTalumna06 03-17-2014 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaGlamma (Post 2265979)
I really didn't want to do the DD program. My roommate just mentioned it as an example of something free. Another idea was a "freebie" red event they could be excused from if they attend 90% of other philanthropy events or something.

90%? Is it just me, or does that sound like a lot?

How many sisters do you have? How many other fraternity/sorority chapters are on your campus? Keep in mind that if there are 10 other chapters, and each one has 1 philanthropy event per semester, that means each sister would need to attend 9 events. That's a lot, in addition to all of your own chapter events each sister has to attend.

You need to be realistic about this. How much presence do other chapters have at these events? Knowing numbers will help.

DoctorD 03-17-2014 06:48 PM

I'm going to echo AGDee and encourage you to reach out to the Volunteer Service Team members who support your chapter - they are a phenomenal resource that is at your fingertips. If you need assistance figuring out who that might be, don't hesitate to private message either one of us.

whiteviolet 03-17-2014 09:02 PM

Do you have a points system? You could assign points to the events. Or you could require a certain number of events per semester and fine those who do not attend.