GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Events (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Alpha Phi and a racial slur...again??? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=246579)

martha1872 09-25-2019 11:11 AM

Alpha Phi and a racial slur...again???
 
https://oklahoman.com/article/564184...ng-use-of-slur

Isn't this the same chapter that was in national media a few years ago because a member dressed in black face?

PanLove 09-25-2019 11:19 AM

This is horrid. National leadership needs to make sweeping changes in SO many areas of operation.

GoldenAnchor 09-25-2019 12:07 PM

This one feels particularly icky - previous incidents have been single members and snapchat or instagram posts, which you could argue as just a couple of bad eggs that have been removed. However this was two organizations using a slur as a team name in a public charity soccer tournament. Yuck

Jen 09-25-2019 12:35 PM

I just sent a fucking SCATHING letter to EO. I am sick of this fucking bullshit and the silence coming from EO. They need to get off their asses and do something - because obviously there is something in our recruiting, new member or programming that is not only encouraging this, but seeking it out.


I encourage all Alpha Phis to let EO know that you want them to take some harsh action for a change and actually do something - including an internal review of not only our programs (yes, including all their shiny new ones), but also of the people in charge of reviewing these incidents and the entire recruitment team of the organization.


The fact I hear about this on social media and not from EO saying "Hey, this awful thing happened recently and this is how we dealt with it" is gross.


Something is broken.

APhi2KD 09-25-2019 03:09 PM

Bbbut...”Innovation!”

Rod D 09-25-2019 04:55 PM

The article is actually unclear what role Alpha Phi played in the incident.

What? 09-25-2019 05:09 PM

Let’s see if I read this correctly- it was a soccer team comprised of a group of Kappa Sigs and 1 Alpha Phi.
That name is sooooooo clearly, plainly, disgusting racist. I still struggle with condemning the entire chapters for the acts of a few (booting individuals, hell yes).
That said, Jen, I would love to read the scathing letter to EO, as silence is not the appropriate response here and my heart breaks for what you and your sisters have been dealing with with your EO.

GoldenAnchor 09-25-2019 05:29 PM

The article also mentions the event was an Alpha Phi sponsored charity event and it was other students at the event that called for the student conduct investigations. The exact process for naming a team in this event is unclear in the article but the Student Government seems confident that they did the right thing in suspending both organizations and even goes as far as saying the student vote is enough to call for the closure of both chapters if they decline to suspend operations. I donít know how valid that claim is but they do seem to believe it goes beyond just the single member on the team in question.

chi-o_cat 09-25-2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod D (Post 2469959)
The article is actually unclear what role Alpha Phi played in the incident.

The article is kind of a mess. There are 2 separate racist situations being covered. One involves students and the other involves staff.

Jen 09-25-2019 06:42 PM

I basically said I'd like to see a zero tolerance policy, charters yanked, members kicked out etc when this shit happens. Also, that they need to get off their asses and DO something.

I said I don't feel comfortable donating money to the sorority any longer, because I have no idea what I'm supporting. Am I giving a scholarship to a white supremacist? Backing a program that's turning out racists like an assembly line?

I want EO to stop being wishy washy with lame apologies at best and at worst, silence which is complicity. I want them to stand up and DO something. You know ... show some character, which is supposed to be part of the new values programming.

I wrote over 20 recs this year. Three of those recs (so far) have gone Alpha Phi and two of those PNMs are women of colour.

I am terrified of what kind of organization I just recommended them into.

I am so, so angry.

zTaalum 09-25-2019 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen (Post 2469970)
I basically said I'd like to see a zero tolerance policy, charters yanked, members kicked out etc when this shit happens. Also, that they need to get off their asses and DO something.

I said I don't feel comfortable donating money to the sorority any longer, because I have no idea what I'm supporting. Am I giving a scholarship to a white supremacist? Backing a program that's turning out racists like an assembly line?

I want EO to stop being wishy washy with lame apologies at best and at worst, silence which is complicity. I want them to stand up and DO something. You know ... show some character, which is supposed to be part of the new values programming.

I wrote over 20 recs this year. Three of those recs (so far) have gone Alpha Phi and two of those PNMs are women of colour.

I am terrified of what kind of organization I just recommended them into.

I am so, so angry.

It was one Alpha Phi and they picked an inappropriate name for a team. I am not sure why your post is so dramatic? I don't think this very poor judgement call by one individual is akin to white supremacy and nationals supporting one. I honestly think you should have more respect for your national officers and not trash them like this on social media. Sending them an email, calling them personally, volunteering to be on a committee on the national level are all better options than talking like this about your organization on a public forum.

thetalady 09-25-2019 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chi-o_cat (Post 2469966)
The article is kind of a mess. There are 2 separate racist situations being covered. One involves students and the other involves staff.

This article at least discusses only the APhi/ KSig incident. Students involved do not appear to have been disciplined just yet.

https://kfor.com/2019/09/25/ocu-soro...er-tournament/

thetalady 09-25-2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martha1872 (Post 2469938)
Isn't this the same chapter that was in national media a few years ago because a member dressed in black face?

I think you might be remembering a black face incident by a University of Oklahoma DDD member back in January.


Blackface at University Oklahoma

martha1872 09-25-2019 08:30 PM

https://okcfox.com/news/local/outrag...ensive-costume

Jen 09-25-2019 08:30 PM

No, in 2015 a member dressed as Jay-Z in blackface at a party.

ETA: Beat me to it!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.