GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Social (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Greek Members Dating Non-Greek Members (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=246459)

sta3535 08-28-2019 04:23 PM

Greek Members Dating Non-Greek Members

I recently heard that a girl who isn't a part of Greek life is currently dating one of our fraternity's President.

So, would they automatically receive special permission to attend parties/private events, or would they draw the line because they're technically not apart of Greek Life, depending on the organization? A possible little sister role within the fraternity?

Now, I've heard of stories in which couples received special permission just because they were dating a brother or sister, for parties at least.

On an extra note, I guess it all depends on who you know & how close they are with certain people in & outside of Greek Life.

33girl 08-28-2019 05:20 PM

Greeks and non Greeks date all the time. And no you don’t become a little sister or little brother just by dating someone (LSs and LBs are actually not allowed any longer but that’s another thread)

I don’t think you understand what a “private” party is. It just means there’s a guest list. You don’t have to be Greek to go there, just know someone in the fraternity who will put you on the list.

If fraternity ABC and sorority XYZ are having a mixer or swap, non Greeks cannot attend - but neither can members of sorority EFG or fraternity MNO. A mixer is a party just for those two groups.

If Greek membership is still something you want, you’re really focusing on all the wrong things. Get to know fraternity members in your classes and extracurriculars. And for the love of all that’s holy, talk about something other than parties.

thetalady 08-28-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sta3535 (Post 2469017)
I recently heard that a girl who isn't a part of Greek life is currently dating one of our fraternity's President.

So, would they automatically receive special permission to attend parties/private events, or would they draw the line because they're technically not apart of Greek Life, depending on the organization? A possible little sister role within the fraternity?

Now, I've heard of stories in which couples received special permission just because they were dating a brother or sister, for parties at least.

On an extra note, I guess it all depends on who you know & how close they are with certain people in & outside of Greek Life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sta3535 (Post 2468388)
Now, I'm not apart of Greek Life at all, but I have some experiences/questions that I'd like to share/ask. I also have some friends/connections here & there with Greek Life at my college.

Since you are NOT in any fraternity, not even the one whose president is dating a non-Greek woman, how about maybe butting out? It is none of your business. They do not owe you an explanation or justification of who attends parties and who does not.

anongreek 09-11-2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sta3535 (Post 2469017)

To add to what 33girl said about "private" parties just means that there is a guest list...at my university it was fairly easy to get on a frat party guest list, if you knew or were friends with anyone in the fraternity or if say, one of your best friends was in a sorority and put in a good word for you to get on the guest list. Several of the frat guys I knew in college were dating non-greeks, and they were around the fraternity houses all of the time, and at every party I ever attended. I wouldn't say they got "special" treatment of any kind, or that they necessarily got to reap all of the benefits of being Greek, because they definitely did not. Socially - I guess for the most part you could say they benefitted? If that is what you want to call it, because they did get to obviously attend most of the fraternity events, including their formals (as a date to their boyfriend), but when it came to swaps and socials between the frat and another sorority --they were definitely not allowed to attend. Not for any reason other than it was a strictly greek event between 2 greek orgs, and non-members were not allowed to attend.

Disclaimer: I am not saying this is how it works at EVERY University, or with every greek org, and it is possible rules/regs have changed since then. But, as for the school I went to, this was how things typically went!

Hope this helps!