GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment Stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Rush at UCSC (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=10264)

wishinhopin 09-23-2001 09:52 PM

Rush at UCSC

Rush starts tomorrow night here at the relatively non Greek campus of UC Santa Cruz, and I'm so excited! My school has one non ethnic interest national sorority, and one non ethnic interest national fraternity. So, I'm going to be rushing Gamma Phi Beta. I know they're international but you all know what I mean. There's one multicultural sorority that is local but I don't know a whole lot about them. Point being, I've hung out with lots of the Gamma Phi girls and I totally feel comfy and happy to be with them. I'm not super close with many of them but I feel like this is going to work for me. As some of you may know, I rushed last spring and didn't get in, but I was encouraged to rush again this year. My friend in Gamma Phi told me it was because not enough of the girls got to know me well enough. So, I know what to work on this time around and I hope all goes well. I'm super nervous. I don't know what to wear, and I'm just in general freakin out! Here's the agenda:
Monday night: Info night, get to know the girls, etc
Tuesday night: Sisterhood social night, make something special with the girls, I'm guessing it's something for the philanthropy.
Wednesday night: Olympics. Hanging out with Delta Omega Chi (that's the local frat, and Theta Chi is the national one) for fun and games.
Thursday and Friday are to be announced....I know Friday is only if you get in, so hopefully this Friday will be a busy night for me! Any last minute tips or advice? I'm going to be so terribly bummed if I don't get in. There's no point in negative thinking though, so I'm going to try to stay cheerful. I'm going to be posting up a storm as soon as things get going, so stay tuned! :p

SparkliiQTMTSU 09-23-2001 10:25 PM

best of luck to you! Have fun! Keep us posted.

Nichole

shadokat 09-23-2001 11:11 PM

Best of luck wishin! You have a local called Delta Omega Chi at UCSC?? We have a local fraternity of the same name at my school in PA! Wonder if either of them know :)

Have fun and keep us posted!

mmcat 09-23-2001 11:39 PM

sweetie

stay in touch...
you are in our thoughts..
cheers
mmcat
:>

:rolleyes:

Honey77484 09-24-2001 01:15 AM

GOOD LUCK!!!! I just visited UC Santa Cruz, it's very pretty! Wow, I didn't realize there were so many CA rushees on GC!! How awesome! Best of luck sweetie!

TechAPhi 09-24-2001 01:46 AM

Best Wishes!!

Good luck to you! I think it is wonderful that you are giving it a second chance. My best advice is:

* Smile
* Relax
* Be yourself
* Have fun

I'll be anxiously awaiting your recruitment story. I am wishing you all the best (and more)...

Jen :)

CutiePie2000 09-24-2001 03:23 AM

Wooo! Go Banana Slugs!!

Best of luck with Rush at Gamma Phi Beta.
They are a fine sorority!

wishinhopin 09-24-2001 03:41 AM

So this is something that has been nagging at the back of my mind for a while now...if I get into Gamma Phi, am I still going to have time for school, a job, and my non Greek friends? I am so completely positively sure I want to go greek except for that one doubt, and I want to go into this experience with 100% of my energy behind it. Have you all managed to balance it ok? One of the girls I met in rush last year told me that she just couldn't find the time to hang out with any of her friends that weren't in Gamma Phi, and I don't want to do that to myself or any of my absolutely amazing friends. Maybe I just have cold feet....I dunno I dunno! I'm trying not to stress about a problem that I might not even need to deal with. Thanks for reading everyone, I'll keep you updated.

AOIIAngel 09-24-2001 09:18 AM

I will tell you this much, I had two jobs, one in a restuarant and one in a doctors office, took 12 hours and still had time for my sisters and my two best non-greek friends. Believe it or not, you dont spend every waking second with your sisters, but you will have plenty of time for everything you need to do! Just don't stress out about it, cause that is what makes it worse. And as long as your friends and sisters understand everthing going on in your life, they will help out too! Best of luck!

PenguinTrax 09-24-2001 09:20 AM

Wishinhopin,

You will have plenty of time for outside activities, especially academics. Don't worry. Greek life stresses the importance of balancing commitments.

wishinhopin 09-24-2001 03:48 PM

Thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone! I'm going to go out there and hope for the best, I'm sure things will work out like they're supposed to. I got an email from my friend in Gamma Phi and she said things in it like "I really hope you're coming out to rush this week" and "I'll put in lots of good words for you". So that was encouraging. More later this evening!

maggieaxid 09-24-2001 04:32 PM

You will have time for everything and everyone. I ended up making more friends in other organizations, doing better in school, and held down a job waitressing. It is all very possible and you will look back and miss every minute of it!
Good luck!
Smile, and let it be fun!

aephi alum 09-24-2001 07:29 PM

Good luck with rush! :)

You will have time for everything. During my senior year I managed to juggle a VERY demanding academic program, my sorority, Panhel (I was my sorority's rep), a singing group, my fiance, and I know I'm missing something... but I still had time to hang out with my friends that weren't in my sorority. If it's important to you, you will find the time. :)

mmcat 09-24-2001 08:22 PM

have a ball

relax and let it happen.
you should be genius.
have a blast.
mmcat
:p

wishinhopin 09-25-2001 01:37 AM

So about an hour ago I got back from the info night for Gamma Phi. It was really nice , and I had a good time. All the girls were super sweet and I feel like I got to know alot of them better than last time. With some of them I felt really insecure though, so I'm a little worried about that. I just don't want to be a part of a group where I feel not as good as everyone else you know? I think I'm just insecure because things aren't going well at all with my crush. It's very frustrating, but that is another story altogether. I saw my friend who emailed me and she gave me a huge hug and then was like, "oops, I'm not supposed to do that, because we're supposed to treat all of the girls the same!" But I was happy to see her nontheless. I wore a knee length black skirt, a maroon nice top from the gap, a black cardigan, and a long black coat also from the gap. Oh, and my Steve Madden mary jane heels. I looked super cute except that it started pouring halfway there! We saw a skit where it was like the dating game with all these Greek goddess's for Hercules to choose from, and of course he chose the Gamma girl! It was silly but fun. And then there was a slide show and some talk about the philanthropy and socials, etc etc. And ohmygosh they had the best snacks ever, I had to restrain myself from eating alot! Alot of girls said they were really happy to see me again, so that made me happy. More tomorrow night after we have the sisterhood social.