GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Interesting New Reality show called Sorority Girls (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=122578)

BetaGirl 10-18-2011 03:04 PM

Interesting New Reality show called Sorority Girls

I was browsing sorority life online and I came across this link for this new show in the UK called Sorority Girls. Apparently it is airing in November over there on one of their biggest channels E4 which is were Skins airs and our big popular shows over here (in the US) air on there too.

I am really intrigued have you all seen anything here about it? I can only find some stuff right now?

I found some tweets about it on this twitter account as well!
http://twitter.com/#!/12Yard

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/sorority-girls

I'm kind of really excited/intrigued/hope it portrays us in a positive light. It sounds different then the stereotypical movies out there that don't.

LaneSig 10-18-2011 03:09 PM

The girls compete to become members of an all new sorority in Leeds?

I doubt any of the NPC chapters are in on this.

Mevara 10-18-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Reality series in which female students in Leeds compete to become members of an all new American sorority
I wonder which org is doing this? I checked out all the groups from the leeds website and don't see any glos listed.

Mevara 10-18-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaneSig (Post 2100876)
The girls compete to become members of an all new sorority in Leeds?

I doubt any of the NPC chapters are in on this.

Does any of the NPC groups have chapters in the UK? I am only aware of alumnae associations.

BetaGirl 10-18-2011 03:17 PM

I'm not sure, but it doesn't look like there is any official press stuff out yet on the show from e4- I found another link on it, but it looks like it's just the production companies stuff so far.

http://mip.itvstudios.com/programmes...sorority-girls

MysticCat 10-18-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BetaGirl (Post 2100875)
I'm kind of really excited/intrigued/hope it portrays us in a positive light.

I have little doubt that you will be sorely disappointed.

BetaGirl 10-18-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticCat (Post 2100880)

I know I was just hoping -.- I wish there was more information on it.

Mevara 10-18-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

It is a US institution which is now heading to Europe! Meet the Sorority Girls who want to bring their unique traditions of exclusivity and glamour across the Atlantic to the UK.

Follow the five Sorority ‘Sisters’ who are planning to establish the first chapter of a US sorority at a British university. They are quickly inundated with eager candidates desperate to enjoy the luxury and advantages of sorority life but getting into the select society is not easy. Can the potential members live up to the demands and dedication needed to conform to the strict rules, behave in the correct manner and always look their best no matter how humiliating the initiation process? What will the American girls make of the British students as cultures clash, and the bitching and tantrums start? Will the concept of sisterhood prevail or will the sorority be pulled apart?
From that alone I can tell it is going to bad all around

AlphaFrog 10-18-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticCat (Post 2100880)

Yep. The show can EITHER be interesting/entertaining OR show sorority life in a good light. Probably not both.

Let's face it, watching a group of people do volunteer work, participate in study hours, and conduct a chapter business meeting just doesn't make for compelling TV. Even if one of those activities were shown, it would probably be from the POV of someone who doesn't want to be there and is therefore causing drama.

BetaGirl 10-18-2011 03:33 PM

It would be neat though if it is about those things. I could see it being interesting if they have girls who are into philanthropy and then contestants who aren't I guess. Using my sorority skills I found those five girl's twitters on that 12 yard twitter. The one's suppose to be the 5 American girls and they seem nice.

Shellfish 10-18-2011 03:36 PM

I would watch this for the hilarious awfulness. They just won't get it though they think they do.

Love this part from one press release found online: "where membership means living in luxury and gaining access to the hottest parties and people." I know I went to school ages ago, but the Greek houses on our campus were far from even the late-1970s/early-1980s version of luxury. Even now, it's still the same fairly small old houses, hopefully a bit updated.

KKGCaroline 10-18-2011 03:52 PM

/facepalm

I saw the advert for this yesterday.

I'm pretty sure its going to live upto every single stereotype that greek women face:

"oh mi god, i saw legally blonde/sorority row/greek/other random movie, and its inspired me to try to become a sorority girl!"

I agree with Alphafrog, study hours/volunteering does not make good tv, this is going to be bitching, drama, parties and boys!

I might, however, watch the first episode just so i can report back to you all!

/endfacepalm

BetaGirl 10-18-2011 03:53 PM

haha that sounds like a good plan- Were did you see an advert? I'm really curious to see a video or something on it?

KKGCaroline 10-18-2011 04:09 PM

I live in England, and have E4 as part of my cable tv package...

It was more of a teaser trailer, it was a quickflash of some girls in letters (too quick to see what the letters were), a very blonde girl saying "lets get some great girls", and a few excited girls cheering and thats honestly about it.

E4 is a bit like the CW, lots of youth programming, they air shows like Big Bang Theory, Smallville, Greek, One Tree Hill, Scrubs, How I Met Your Mother etc..

Alot of their home grown shows are a little weak, and unfortunately i'm not expecting this to be any different,

Mevara 10-18-2011 04:09 PM

Looks like it is a UK chapter of the Sigma Gamma sorority. I have never heard of them and can't find anything on the interwebz.