GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Encourage someone to rush? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=98067)

LucyKKG 07-23-2008 01:54 PM

Encourage someone to rush?

Ok, I'd like to apologize because I'm SURE this thread has been done before. It's just ridiculously hard to search for (even when using Google).

My sister is going to a CA state school in the fall, and I'm trying to subtly encourage her to go Greek. I know, I know, everyone has to make their own decisions. However, she's a stubborn person, and I can totally see her changing her mind (as she's done with other things in the past). I feel like she (and a lot of people) don't see the benefits of going Greek and don't get what it's really all about.

Does anyone have any tips? I'm thinking that explaining all of the great things I've gotten out of Kappa would be helpful. (Btw, they don't have a Kappa chapter there, so no legacy pressure.)

ETA: I wouldn't be shocked if she changes her mind sophomore year. Hey, that's what I (essentially) did.

Fleur de Lis 07-23-2008 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LucyKKG (Post 1685286)
I wouldn't be shocked if she changes her mind sophomore year. Hey, that's what I (essentially) did.

Sometimes it takes actually getting out of the house and doing your own thing before you decide going greek is for you. My cousin was totally against joining a sorority her freshman year. I tried to bring it up and even wrote her a rec just in case she decided to go through recruitment at the last minute, but no luck. Then a bunch of her friends went through recruitment and she saw what a great way it was to meet people and have fun. Now she is ready to sign up and even wants Kappa!

I don't think you can talk someone into it, you just have to let them see all the positives and let them make their decision. Maybe just have one good talk with her about national connections, higher-than-average gpas, date parties (whatever her thing is!) and hope for the best. :rolleyes:

GeekyPenguin 07-23-2008 03:18 PM

I'd tell her to go through recruitment because even if she thinks it's dumb, it's a great way to meet a lot more people on campus.

basket96 07-23-2008 03:26 PM

I agree with GeekyPenguin. If she goes through now, she does not have to pledge, but she WILL meet TONS of ladies on campus! She may decide to pledge and may not, but at least she will have many familiar faces on campus when school begins!

Also mention scholarships, leadership opportunities, study groups, networking + career advice, etc. Plus, many employers look for prior greek leadership in job candidates and it can help set you apart from others you may be competing against for that dream job one day.

LucyKKG 07-23-2008 03:36 PM

See, this is why I love GC. An hour and a half later and I already have tons of helpful suggestions. Thankssss!

Oh, and she's at summer orientation right now (til tomorrow). I'm so excited for her!

dgdramadawg 07-23-2008 05:42 PM

I was actually talking to a former student about recruitment today and it really fits in with this thread! So funny!

The main points I tried to hit with her since I have known her throughout her high school years were:
- People she knows who are rushing who might not be "typical rushees" (It always surprises me how "so-and-so" rushing can make another girl want to)
- People she knows who are Greek who might not be "stereotypical Greeks"
- Positives that sororities offer than can't be offered through a non-Greek group
- How Greek life in general can vary from campus to campus and from chapter to chapter, so it can offer every girl something different

I also always tell girls who are unsure about recruitment that it's a great way to meet people and it's also a great way to figure out whether Greek life is a fit. If you never go through recruitment, how do you know for sure that none of the chapters are a fit? But if you give it a shot, at least you'll know... whether it means you are joining or not. :)

FSUZeta 07-23-2008 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeekyPenguin (Post 1685334)
I'd tell her to go through recruitment because even if she thinks it's dumb, it's a great way to meet a lot more people on campus.

you could even emphasize that she does not have to join, but at least by participating she has the option.

Zillini 07-23-2008 07:34 PM

Another "selling point" is that it's a ready made support system for a freshman who is away from home for the very first time ever. While some may find leaving the nest as an exciting adventure, others find it very intimidating. Even those who are excited can still be apprehensive and eventually homesick. Having a way to make friends can help.

Kansas City 07-24-2008 03:01 PM

If she can sit in on the first few days just to figure out if it's something she may want to do, she could withdraw at any time (no obligation). Let her know that by meeting new people, it might make it easier for her to get a bid during an informal recruitment or make her name known for recruitment the following year if she later changes her mind. If your situation allows, you might even pay her recruitment registration fees as a family "gift". I assume this would be acceptable since the Legacy thing apparently isn't an issue.

LucyKKG 07-25-2008 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas City (Post 1685902)
If your situation allows, you might even pay her recruitment registration fees as a family "gift". I assume this would be acceptable since the Legacy thing apparently isn't an issue.

Oh definitely. If she says she's even considering it, I'd offer right away.

I'm going to talk to her about orientation when I see her in a few days and tell her what I've been thinking about all of this. After that, I'll leave it alone til sophomore year. :) Thanks for all of your help!