GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Careers & Employment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   LinkedIn. Do you use it? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=133165)

NinjaPoodle 03-21-2013 12:38 PM

LinkedIn. Do you use it?

So, I'm on it and looking to get work via the site. Those of you on it, have you found it useful, do you use the tools, etc.,. What are your thoughts?

lovespink88 03-21-2013 12:42 PM

I don't know if there's just a shortage of media planners in the world, but I am constantly getting HR people and recruiters reaching out to me about job opportunities. I love it for that reason alone! About 2 weeks ago, I had 3 reach out in the span of about 2 weeks.

When I was in the job hunt, I had not used it at that time, but when I begin the hunt again in a few months, I will use it. I have already started looking at a few agencies in Denver--I've been looking through people who work at these agencies to see if we have any friends in common to see if I can make a connection some how. There's also a decent job search function there.

knight_shadow 03-21-2013 01:09 PM

I use it all the time (logged in right now, as a matter of fact).

When I was job hunting, I used my connections to find open opportunities. Now, I use it to keep up on industry news/events and to fine-tune job descriptions for my team and get tips for keeping my resume fresh.

Kevin 03-21-2013 01:17 PM

I have an account. I log in maybe a few times a year to accept requests. I don't use it to communicate.

adpiucf 03-21-2013 01:28 PM

I use to it make contacts, reach out to recruiters, apply for jobs, the group discussions, etc. It's useful for networking and connecting others, or to see if someone I know may know someone I want to be put in touch with.

lovespink88 03-21-2013 01:41 PM

I almost forgot--I use it to see where co-workers went to school and if they are Greek ;)

NinjaPoodle 03-21-2013 01:48 PM

I was curious what membership level do you have? I'm still on the free/basic. Do you think it matters? I'm thinking if I can get a job for free, that's great. But if the paid memberships are worth it, then why not.

knight_shadow 03-21-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle (Post 2209266)
I was curious what membership level do you have? I'm still on the free/basic. Do you think it matters? I'm thinking if I can get a job for free, that's great. But if the paid memberships are worth it, then why not.

I use the free version and it works for me.

Most of the people in my network who have the paid version use it for recruiting or sales leads.

PhiMu_Lindz 03-21-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight_shadow (Post 2209273)
Most of the people in my network who have the paid version use it for recruiting or sales leads.

I completely agree with this. I work for a recruiting agency and even in my office, only a few people have the paid version. There are some added benefits, but it isn't worth the money in my opinion.

SilverTurtle 03-21-2013 03:42 PM

I have it and seldom use it myself, but, my employeer has recently set up all of our recruiters nationwide with paid accounts and they're really starting to push them to utilize it as a recruitment tool. I would guess this is becoming more common with larger companies, at least, who have the money for it. So if you're job hunting I'd guess it's pretty useful right now.

Tulip86 03-21-2013 07:05 PM

I have it but my main reason for having a profile is for recruiters to be able to find me.

I update once every few months, but accept requests frequently.

IrishLake 03-21-2013 07:09 PM

I log in once every few weeks. I also get contacted by recruiters via LinkdIn. I don't utilize it much though.

Xidelt 03-21-2013 07:31 PM

I only use it when I'm feeling nosy and want to spy on people.

pinksequins 03-21-2013 07:36 PM

It may depend on the field in which you work. I receive alot of requests, and I use it to learn more about people with whom I engaging on a transaction.

However, as a recruiting tool (in either direction) I sometimes think it operates just as a big ole electronic Rolodex to the same effect where only a handful of the "business cards" are ever terribly useful and some you wonder, "Who?" or "Why?"

I have a friend who has the proverbial zillion links, but it hasn't helped alot in her job search as a lawyer. What has helped her are the personal contacts she made while in practice.

I obtain more useful (to me) information on my field from other tailored sites.

33girl 03-21-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2209257)
I have an account. I log in maybe a few times a year to accept requests. I don't use it to communicate.

Ditto.