GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Transferring Kappa Kappa Gamma legacy. Please Help! (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=124058)

kkate 01-07-2012 05:56 PM

Transferring Kappa Kappa Gamma legacy. Please Help!

Hi everyone!
I am currently at a community college and I will be transferring to a 4-year institution this fall. Almost all the women in my family have been a member of KKG (My mom, aunt, both grandmothers, and a great-grandmother). I would really like to carry on this tradition, but at the school I am going to KKG has a very strong and selective chapter. I am very involved, have a 3.6 GPA, and I feel like I would fit in with these girls. But will my junior status kill my chances? I don't want to be close-minded, but I would love to be a fourth generation Kappa! Any input or knowledge of legacy procedure in these types of circumstances would be appreciated.

amIblue? 01-07-2012 06:19 PM

I would recommend that you discuss this with your Kappa family members rather than strangers on the internet. If they are not currently involved alums, they probably know someone who is and who can best advise you given your specifics.

Kappa considers a legacy to be a sister, daughter, granddaughter, or great granddaughter. Other relatives (such as your aunt) are considered to have special ties to Kappa, but not legacies.

Since you're not saying (quite wisely), which school you are attending, I can't tell you if junior standing will automatically kill your chances or not. Some schools have separate upperclassmen quotas. Some don't. Some schools have these, but chapters may choose not to give a bid to an upperclassman anyway.

Do you currently know anyone in the chapter where you're transferring? My advice to you at this point would be to develop those friendships and try to get to know other women in the chapter as possible. Keep your grades high, and get your recs in.

ETA: feel free to PM me if you want, but seriously, talk to your family members. They're going to be the most trustworthy source of info for you regarding Kappa and should know people who can help you get the correct info that you need.

I didn't get to join my legacy chapter, and it's worked out great for me. If you don't get a Kappa bid, even if you may be disappointed, I can't encourage you enough to continue in your journey to join an NPC org. I think you'll find that, we have more in common with other NPC groups than not.

BlueOwl 01-09-2012 11:24 PM

While it would be lovely to carry on in the Kappa tradition, you may find that it is not the best fit for you personally. I hope that your family is supportive of you exploring membership in another sorority as well. I am a Kappa, and it is precious to me, but I fully acknowledge the wonderful sisterhoods that ALL NPC groups share. Good Luck!!