GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Can I both a professional fraternity and a social fraternity? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=129567)

Cookieraider 09-18-2012 06:50 PM

Can I both a professional fraternity and a social fraternity?

I was looking at joining a professnal aviation fraternity, alpha eta rho. However, next semester, I would like to join a social fraternity like alpha tau omega or phi delta theta. Will it be possible to join one of those social fraternities next semester if i am already a member of alpha eta rho, a professional fraternity?

NutBrnHair 09-18-2012 07:00 PM

Sure, yes.

trisigma212 09-18-2012 07:00 PM

Technically, you can't be a fraternity.

But for your question, yes you can be in both.

adpiucf 09-18-2012 07:00 PM

Yes.

You can be a member of both a pre-professional or service fraternity AND a social fraternity. You can't join two social fraternities.

Example: So while you can be a member of both Sigma Chi (social) and Alpha Phi Omega (service), you can't join both Sigma Chi (social) and Alpha Tau Omega (social).

LouisaMay 09-18-2012 07:02 PM

In most cases, yes, you may. However, you'll want to make sure there are no prohibitions against dual membership for either organization. Additionally, you will need to assess the time obligations for both. In some cases, professional fraternities require a great amount of time only intermittently (certain times of year) but leave plenty of room for additional activities such as a social Greek organization or club. In other situations, the professional org will keep you hopping throughout the year, so an additional membership will really tax you. .

I am a member of a professional organization in education, and we were CRAZY BUSY in the spring as we prepared for initiation and conferences. The rest of the year our activities were well spaced and required minimal time, so I just needed to be careful how I scheduled things during the busy times.

Good luck. Enjoy your experience.

knight_shadow 09-18-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisaMay (Post 2179487)
In most cases, yes, you may. However, you'll want to make sure there are no prohibitions against dual membership for either organization. Additionally, you will need to assess the time obligations for both.

Quoted for emphasis.

Ktduke 08-28-2016 11:11 AM

No, some have rules that you cannot be in both. You need to ask the specific organization. My daughter wanted to be in both and was told by Sigma Alpha (professional) that if she attended Formal Rush and accepted a bid she could not join them. Strange thing about them was they did not participate in Panhellenic rush they had a recruitment week the following week. My daughter choose the social route but her roommate choose the Professional thinking it would help her later on. She went though Rush but turned down her bid to my daughter house. The next week she went to Sigma Alpha events. She was told she had to attend 2 events of 4 and because of classes she missed one event. She then didn't receive a bid and was devastated! She had given up a top tier house to be turned down by a group of 25 girls. No idea who as she had a high GPA and in Honors, very involved professionally and had recieved numerous leadership and professional scholarships. The only had 3 girls they didn't give bids to. So be aware you can think something is a sure thing and it not turn out.

AnchorAlumna 08-29-2016 12:13 AM

You seem to be hung up on "top tier."
Hmm.

thetalady 08-29-2016 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ktduke (Post 2417372)
No, some have rules that you cannot be in both. You need to ask the specific organization. My daughter wanted to be in both and was told by Sigma Alpha (professional) that if she attended Formal Rush and accepted a bid she could not join them. Strange thing about them was they did not participate in Panhellenic rush they had a recruitment week the following week. My daughter choose the social route but her roommate choose the Professional thinking it would help her later on. She went though Rush but turned down her bid to my daughter house. The next week she went to Sigma Alpha events. She was told she had to attend 2 events of 4 and because of classes she missed one event. She then didn't receive a bid and was devastated! She had given up a top tier house to be turned down by a group of 25 girls. No idea who as she had a high GPA and in Honors, very involved professionally and had recieved numerous leadership and professional scholarships. The only had 3 girls they didn't give bids to. So be aware you can think something is a sure thing and it not turn out.

So very, very little in life is "a sure thing".