GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Mystery! (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=99572)

WCsweet<3 09-14-2008 11:46 PM

Mystery!

The case: My mother's mother (aka Grandmother Davis) died when my mother was 14. I obviously never knew her. As I began to talk about sorority recruitment, my mother went "OH Grandmother Davis was in a sorority. Here is her pin!" The pin is for Alpha Delta Pi ( http://orgs.unt.edu/ADP/images/pin.gif minus the black on the points). She would have gone to college around the years 1936-1941. The only problem is... there was no Alpha Delta Pi sorority in the state. Also, while going through her college yearbooks (talk about dusty) I find she was in a sorority named Sigma Epsilon. I can't find any trace of this sorority...

Anyone have ideas to help me figure out what is going on?

fantASTic 09-15-2008 12:43 AM

Now..the pin actually has the ADPi letters on it? Or is it just like that without the letters?

Xidelt 09-15-2008 12:58 AM

Sigma epsilon may have been a local that later became a chapter of a d pi. Your grandmother and other alumnae may have chosen to affiliate with the national. Does your grandmothers college later have a chapter of a d pi?

WCsweet<3 09-15-2008 01:03 AM

It has the actual letters.

No, it does not have ADPi on the campus.

Now that I take a closer look at the greek webpage. there is the blerb that says "We have sororities..." and then lastly it names Sigma Epsilon. There is no further information about SE unlike the other organizations.

tinydancer 09-15-2008 03:35 AM

Perhaps Baird's Manual of American College Fraternities would help. An older edition would probablly have some of the more "obscure" sororities in it. Check and see if you local public library has a copy, or your university library should have one.

Good luck - let us know if you solve your mystery.

Titchou 09-15-2008 07:03 AM

I would contact ADPi's national offices and give them this information along with her full maiden name. They can do a search and tell you if she was ever a member, they took over a local at that college, etc.

Leslie Anne 09-15-2008 12:29 PM

There is a local sorority listed in the 13th edition of Baird's named Sigma Epsilon. It was founded at the University of Oklahoma in 1931. ADPi doesn't currently have a chapter there but might have in the past.

There's another Sigma Epsilon listed at Beloit. I'll try to find more info.

violetpretty 09-15-2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 (Post 1717816)
No, it does not have ADPi on the campus.

Just because ADPi is not on the campus currently doesn't mean there wasn't ever a chapter there. Maybe Sigma Epsilon was absorbed by ADPi and the chapter closed sometime later?

Are there any engravings on the back of the pin? Initials, date of initiation, chapter designation?

Leslie Anne 09-15-2008 12:51 PM

Okay, ixnay on the U of Oklahoma. Further research showed it to be a men's fraternity.

What state are we talking about here? I have a line on a Sigma Epsilon local that became a chapter of Phi Delta that probably became a chapter of something else from there.

honeychile 09-15-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Anne (Post 1718000)
There is a local sorority listed in the 13th edition of Baird's named Sigma Epsilon. It was founded at the University of Oklahoma in 1931. ADPi doesn't currently have a chapter there but might have in the past.

There's another Sigma Epsilon listed at Beloit. I'll try to find more info.

There's a 13th edition of Baird's? What year did it come out?

There is an ADPi chapter at Oklahoma State - is that where Grandmother Davis went to school?

Leslie Anne 09-15-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 1718014)
There's a 13th edition of Baird's? What year did it come out?

WCsweet<3 09-15-2008 01:38 PM

I can't check for engravings right now since I'm at work. I will give you an update on that around 4pm pacific time.

She went to College of Idaho. The name was changed back this year to College of Idaho from Albertson College.

Thank you everyone for your help! My mom and I have been going through the yearbooks we had. The college was smaller than my high school and that is saying something!

honeychile 09-15-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Anne (Post 1718015)

My bad. I have the 1991 edition, and for some reason, I thought it was the 11th edition. *blush*

polarpi 09-15-2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 (Post 1718044)
She went to College of Idaho. The name was changed back this year to College of Idaho from Albertson College.

According to our chapter roll, we have never had a chapter within the state of Idaho.

The *only* thing I can thing of is if she was an alumna initiate (I'm not entirely sure when our program was in place). WCsweet<3, I'd be willing to try and do a search through our records, if you send me a PM I can talk to you more about it! :)

VandalSquirrel 09-15-2008 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 (Post 1718044)
I can't check for engravings right now since I'm at work. I will give you an update on that around 4pm pacific time.

Thank you everyone for your help! My mom and I have been going through the yearbooks we had. The college was smaller than my high school and that is saying something!

Where's skylark? I haven't seen her lately, but she'd probably know as she's a Kappa from there.

All I can glean from a quick search is that Sigma Epsilon has been active at College of Idaho/Albertson since at least the 1930s, and is still active as a local today. I think Miss Idaho from 2 or so years ago is an alumna of SE.