GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Iota Phi Theta (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=147)
-   -   Have you heard of Progressive Black Men, Inc (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=77623)

InquisitiveOne 04-24-2006 04:42 AM

Have you heard of Progressive Black Men, Inc

The mission statement of Progressive Black Men, Inc is to eradicate negative stereotypes placed on those of African descent, especially men, through academic excellence, communal support, and the fellowship of our brothers

In the summer of 1989 on the campus of Florida State University in Tallahassee , Florida , a group of friends were formed through a summer enrichment program for minorities at the institution. During the fall semester the gentlemen established academics as their foundation; however, their participation in community service and campus activities created a bond much stronger than friendship. The twelve gentlemen made a proposition to create an organization that fostered service, student enrichment, and genuine brotherhood. Thus on November 27, 1989 , the birth of Progressive Black Men was established!

From their website: www.progressiveblackmen.com/index_home.htm

What do you guys think of this organization?

IPTTranquilizer 06-22-2006 03:40 PM

I actually have heard of PBM three of my frat brothers at zeta delta are actually apart of this organization and one was a founding member of it on our campus. overall my opinion of the organization is good they have a positive take on the position of african americans in education.

BuffaloIOTA 06-24-2006 12:52 AM

I have never heard of the Progressive Black Men, Inc. I have checked out the website and they seem to be a very interesting group.

Ace_of_Diam0nds 06-24-2006 01:34 AM

Uplift both or nothing will change...

I have never heard of this organization and I reside in both Washington, DC and Connecticut. However, I must ask why did they choose to make it Progressive Black Men, Incorporated? Why not Progressive Black People or Persons? There seem to be a lot of organizations that are already devoted to the same goals that cater to men only. Did they feel as if women could not help them in their pursuit 'to eradicate negative stereotypes placed on those of African descent'? This job seems important enough for the organization to have expanded their sights and include women seeing as there are plenty of negative stereotypes for Black women and, throughout history, the voice/ accomplishments of the Black man has echoed over the voice/ accomplishments of Black women. My Black history classes have always been overshadowed with the pursuits of Black men. Are they actually attempting to rid of stereotypes or are they just furthering the stereotype that BEHIND (not to the side of) every Black man is a Black woman. That Black women will simply go along with whatever justification they come up with for the stereotypes of their female counterparts. Did they feel as if having women included in their brotherhood would somehow make the organization less effective? Are they progressive Black men or regressive black men? If they were as progressive as they believe they are, they would realize it takes a whole village to accomplish great change.

starang21 06-24-2006 10:47 AM

it's down in florida, from what i've seen. didn't have it at my school.

BuffaloIOTA 06-24-2006 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace_of_Diam0nds
If they were as progressive as they believe they are, they would realize it takes a whole village to accomplish great change.

I truly believe this, but I believe that these men felt that it was time for men to take a stand for themselves. I also agree with your statement of joining other organizations that are for the uplift of the African-American male, but maybe they felt that the vision of these organizations did not conform to some of their ideals.

starang21 06-24-2006 10:08 PM

Quote:

I have never heard of this organization and I reside in both Washington, DC and Connecticut. However, I must ask why did they choose to make it Progressive Black Men, Incorporated? Why not Progressive Black People or Persons? There seem to be a lot of organizations that are already devoted to the same goals that cater to men only. Did they feel as if women could not help them in their pursuit 'to eradicate negative stereotypes placed on those of African descent'? This job seems important enough for the organization to have expanded their sights and include women seeing as there are plenty of negative stereotypes for Black women and, throughout history, the voice/ accomplishments of the Black man has echoed over the voice/ accomplishments of Black women. My Black history classes have always been overshadowed with the pursuits of Black men. Are they actually attempting to rid of stereotypes or are they just furthering the stereotype that BEHIND (not to the side of) every Black man is a Black woman. That Black women will simply go along with whatever justification they come up with for the stereotypes of their female counterparts. Did they feel as if having women included in their brotherhood would somehow make the organization less effective? Are they progressive Black men or regressive black men? If they were as progressive as they believe they are, they would realize it takes a whole village to accomplish great change.

their sister organization is S.I.S.T.U.H.S. or something like that.

http://www.sistuhs.org/

Ace_of_Diam0nds 06-24-2006 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starang21
their sister organization is S.I.S.T.U.H.S. or something like that.

http://www.sistuhs.org/

My point was not to solely say that there needed to be a female group like this. My point was to establish the fact that the Black community should be bonding together to make social change occur. Create it as a co- ed group instead of just breaking into a brotherhood and sisterhood. Strengthen both at once instead of making it appear that our community is making us choose which to strenghten. Also, if one group succeeds more than the other, it uplifts that sex without the other instead of uplifting everyone. I guess it is easier that way, but whoever said great achievements were easy?

starang21 06-24-2006 11:22 PM

Quote:

Create it as a co- ed group instead of just breaking into a brotherhood and sisterhood.

there are other organizations that do that as well.

Ace_of_Diam0nds 06-25-2006 01:21 AM

Either way...

Quote:

Originally Posted by starang21
there are other organizations that do that as well.

Do these organizations have the same exact purpose? If so, why would they bother to create another organization instead of strengthening the organizations already created? Either way there was really no point in having this type of organization. Either it is ineffective because it neglects to include the opposite sex in the organization (regardless of them having a sisterhood connected. It is still not the same as having a group with women actually in it as members.) or it is not needed because there are already organizations that exist. What exactly makes this organization so special to have people join it over another organization like it? Especially seeing as they could be spending their time making sure the organizations that are already like it continue to gain members and strive.

starang21 06-25-2006 09:18 AM

Quote:

If so, why would they bother to create another organization instead of strengthening the organizations already created?

using that line of thinking what's the point of having any fraternity or sorority outside of the alphas or the akas? and who's to say that membership in this organization requires that members do NOT join other organizations like it? not to defend them or even justify their existence....but hey, if they like it, i love it.

mhoodjulien 12-21-2007 01:39 AM

I understand your reasoning behind that, but Progressive Black Men, Inc was developed to further the reaches of the african-american male. As a member myself, I've seen this organization operate to serve the community at its best. It's true that several of fraternities and sororities resemble this same-sex alienation, but there are a couple reasons for that.

Progressive Black Men, Inc had the intention of fostering educated, goal-oriented black men, who shared the same alturistic view of bettering the community. Everyone knows that there are more black men in jail than there are in higher education, so Progressive Black Men, Inc wanted to distinguish themselves as being a product of men that were going places (which is why PBM is a professional, service organization as it doesn't follow many of the distractions of greek life).

The other thing is despite its name, PBM actually doesn't discriminate on race or gender. So in reality, a woman COULD be in Progressive Black Men, Inc. Will it ever happen...I doubt it.

http://www.hbcunetwork.com/modules/L...veblackmen.cfm

LITTLEMISSDREAM 10-26-2008 02:46 AM

from a SISTUH

Quote:

Originally Posted by starang21 (Post 1270872)
using that line of thinking what's the point of having any fraternity or sorority outside of the alphas or the akas? and who's to say that membership in this organization requires that members do NOT join other organizations like it? not to defend them or even justify their existence....but hey, if they like it, i love it.

I am a member of SISTUHS Inc., FAMU Chapter. Members of PBM and SISTUHS are allowed to join other organizations. We encourage community involvement, scholastic achievement as well as the uplifting of the African American community without any regards to gender. Our organizations however, respectively, promote different principles that are necessary components in building character as young men and women among our members. Many of our members have gone on to pledge DST, AKA, AND ZETA as well as join the NAACP and NCNW. We are dedicated to being active and having a voice. Many members of both organizations are on the SGA.The difference between SISTUHS and sororities is that we may not offer the same experience. We don't pledge!!!!! There is however a process that we go through. We do not haze, overtly nor covertly. There is no need to. It is fun. I love my SISTUHS and my bruhs. :)

PHIsts of Phury 12-08-2008 12:59 AM

From a Bruh...

OW OW! and CKES!

Here's another perspective, as well as some exciting news!

First, the latter, Progressive Black Men, Inc. has just chartered another chapter at Howard University, moving the org out of Florida! CKES!

Okay, to the first part. PBM is primarily a community service based organization with a strong emphasis on academic excellence, brotherhood, and community service. While we embody a lot of the same ideals of a fraternity, and we are indeed fraternal, we are not, nor do we pretend to be a fraternity. And yes, members of PBM are able to move on and join other organizations while still being active in PBM.

In response to some of the other comments on here... there are other organizations on our campus that reach out to the men and women of the African American Community, like the Black Student Union on FSU's campus. The male/female split between PBM and SISTUHS is the same as any organization that is following the laws of Title 9. The organizations are comparable, and we very often work together to accomplish different services. And while the MEN part of PBM has yet to be challenged, the BLACK is not necessarily a requirement. As a white male inductee in Class 9 of Florida State's Chapter, I am living proof that so long as PROGRESSION is there, then you can be a member.

And as with LITTLEMISSDREAM's comment about joining other orgs, I am an active member of PBM as well as an OWTLAW of the Epsilon Nu Chapter of Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc. So I can certainly state that the organizations are both awesome, but offer different collegiate experiences. I'm very satisfied with my membership in both families.

L.I.P.T.T.D.I.D. and CKES!

Love ya SISTUHS!

ABM07 05-13-2011 03:53 PM

are white people allowed to join? as a student at fsu it is hard to get involved with good service projects and i see pbm and other predominantly black organizations have that deep service devotion.