GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Risk Management - Hazing & etc. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Ex-Baylor frat president indicted on 4 counts of sex assault won't go to prison (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=245684)

NinjaPoodle 01-06-2019 07:56 PM

Ex-Baylor frat president indicted on 4 counts of sex assault won't go to prison

:mad:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/11/us/ba....html?ofs=fbia

Tom Earp 01-08-2019 12:35 PM

WRONG IN SO MANY WAYS!:mad::mad:

Kevin 01-08-2019 01:02 PM

The prosecutor's explanation is such bullcrap. She states she lost a jury trial against a similarly situated defendant, so she gave this one a sweetheart plea deal. That sends a message to everyone in Waco that it is open season for innocent-looking men to commit rapes. This prosecutor needs to be taken off of sex crimes. She lost a jury trial. I lost a jury trial last year where I had them cold on the facts, I had a much better dog and pony show than the defense, I had the better experts, I had great cross examinations of their experts. I would change nothing about how I handled it. The jury deliberated 5 hours (that's long on a civil case) and came back with a defense verdict and multiple jurors in tears.

Sometimes you lose. You just have to get back up there and try again. If you can't do that as a trial lawyer, there's always document review work.

PhilTau 01-08-2019 01:56 PM

Baylor still has this fraternity listed on its IFC website as "Status: Suspension, available to return Spring 2019." Considering the nature of the allegations and recent history at Baylor, this is somewhat surprising. Anyone really think this chapter will come back this spring?

Agree with Kevin that plea bargain rationale sounds a bit fishy.

Kevin 01-08-2019 03:15 PM

Given recent Baylor history, I wouldn't call this surprising, I'd call it par for the course.

PhilTau 01-08-2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2463609)
Given recent Baylor history, I wouldn't call this surprising, I'd call it par for the course.

To clarify - what I meant is that it is surprising that Baylor still had them listed as an IFC member and have not yet deleted them. I'm sure they will catch this soon.

LaneSig 01-08-2019 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilTau (Post 2463610)
To clarify - what I meant is that it is surprising that Baylor still had them listed as an IFC member and have not yet deleted them. I'm sure they will catch this soon.

Whenever Baylor suspends a chapter, they will usually have a specific date set for them to come back. Their Greek Life admin will keep the organization on their site with the possible return date. They did it with two other groups that returned in the last couple of years.

Also, Phi Delt is showing as not returning until spring 2020; not 2019.

PhilTau 01-08-2019 08:53 PM

Then someone at Baylor just changed it from 2019 to 2020 because I supercopied what the IFC website said yesterday onto my post. Frankly, given the charges laid out in the indictment (and the pending civil case), I don't see how they could ever come back to Baylor.

ASTalumna06 01-08-2019 11:34 PM

While I had heard about this decision and plea a month ago, I hadn't read all the details the victim gave about what happened. How horrific.

And how terrible that the criminal justice system failed her.

But good for her for telling everyone, including the scumbag who did this to her, to basically go F themselves.

And people still ask why women don't, or hesitate to immediately, report a rape...

APhi2KD 01-09-2019 12:25 AM

Judge? Baylor
District Attorney? Baylor
Prosecutor? Baylor

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/bayl...tion-plea-deal

PhilTau 01-09-2019 02:20 AM

Thanks. Good article. Waco isn't called "Whack-O" for no reason.

Tom Earp 01-09-2019 12:58 PM

Remember one thing, this is Texas!:rolleyes:

They do it their way and the hell with the rest of the world! Men are men and women are second class citizens and should be in the bed room or the kitchen!;)

2 things to do in Texas, make babies and play foot ball!:D

Baylor has had many years of this type of thing and seems has not changed has it?:( The Climate there has not changed one bit, it is a jungle and WOMEN beware!!:mad:

Oh Guess what, it is a Religious orientated Univ!! Tells us something today doesn't it?:mad:

Kevin 01-09-2019 03:11 PM

Texas is a big place. This is a McLennan County problem more than a Texas problem. Specifically, you have an Assistant D.A. who unless we have more information showing serious doubt that this took place, shouldn't be trying anything more serious than speeding tickets. We also have a judge here who didn't have to accept this plea. The fault here lies with individuals--and individuals can be replaced.

navane 01-09-2019 03:53 PM

Kevin, is there a point at which some "authorities" would be able to step in and question the way a case like this went down? In other words, maybe the victim could file a complaint with the state bar association regarding the appropriateness of the DA, prosecutor and judge's positions on this case (for some kind of "negligence" in completing their duties). Maybe the victim could sue the DA? Or is it really down to simply not re-electing those individuals? I have a hard time believing that the people in this county would shake up their system by not re-electing those individuals.

Kevin 01-09-2019 04:04 PM

District Attorneys are almost never held accountable by their Bar Associations. Judges are very rarely disciplined. The victim cannot sue the D.A., prosecuting attorneys are immune to civil suits. McLennan County's voters have to hold these individuals accountable. I keep coming back to this A.D.A.'s rationale here. Totally unacceptable. If she loses her next murder trial, is she going to plead all of her murders out as simple assault?