GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Chapter Operations (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   Managing storage of many old composites? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=145293)

Ducks 01-09-2015 06:04 PM

Managing storage of many old composites?

The Chapter I advise has 25+ years worth of old chapter composites,still framed, stored in our smallish basement.

Collegians and alums are all in agreement that we need to find a balance between honoring the chapter's past and having more useable space for current chapter operations.

Options already suggested: Rent a storage unit. (pricey)
Remove the composites from their frames and continue to store.
Take a digital photo of each composite and then respectfully dispose of them entirely. (Most recent 4 years of composites are always on display in House)

Would love to hear how others manage this.

Thank-you.

DubaiSis 01-09-2015 06:06 PM

I would scan and dispose. Keep the database in multiple locations (cloud and external hard drive), and maybe offer to have them all turned into a book, maybe for a fundraiser. Then see if you can re-use the frames since they are crazy expensive.

SoCalGirl 01-09-2015 06:14 PM

Reach out to the chapter alums to see if any have a want/need for them. Some may have an emotional melt down if they find out a composite was respectfully disposed. Check with your HQ if they have any guidance.

sigmagirl10 01-09-2015 06:44 PM

A couple of ideas

1) Some chapters rotate old composites in and out--it's fun to look t that 80s hair!
2) Is there a room/area with lots of empty wall space where more composites could be displayed? Casual dining area, a boring back hallway, study room, etc?

If those aren't possibilities, the opportunity should DEFINITELY be opened up to chapter alumnae who would like the composites. If that doesn't solve the problem (it might...) does your HQ have an archive? I know some do.

I'm imagining one of those things they use when the sell posters--mounts on the wall and you can flip through it but when it's not active it goes flat against the wall, sticking out only maybe 6 inches--but with composites in it. My all-girls high school had 50 years worth of all-school composites displayed that way in the library and girls loved to look through it.

als463 01-09-2015 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalGirl (Post 2304025)
Reach out to the chapter alums to see if any have a want/need for them. Some may have an emotional melt down if they find out a composite was respectfully disposed. Check with your HQ if they have any guidance.

Yeah. I feel like I would have an emotional melt down if my chapter said they disposed of our composites. Okay, maybe I wouldn't have a melt down but, I'd be pretty bummed out.

Cheerio 01-09-2015 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigmagirl10 (Post 2304027)
A couple of ideas:

1) Some chapters rotate old composites in and out--it's fun to look at that 80s hair!

2) Is there a room/area with lots of empty wall space where more composites could be displayed? Casual dining area, a boring back hallway, study room, etc?

If those aren't possibilities, the opportunity should DEFINITELY be opened up to chapter alumnae who would like the composites. If that doesn't solve the problem (it might...) does your HQ have an archive? I know some do.

I'm imagining one of those things they use when they sell posters--mounts on the wall and you can flip through it but when it's not active it goes flat against the wall, sticking out only maybe 6 inches--but with composites in it. My all-girls high school had 50 years worth of all-school composites displayed that way in the library and girls loved to look through it.

Do you know the name of the company who makes these? And you DO mean that only the COMPOSITE goes into the sleeve (as a poster would) NOT the heavy frame, right?!

Does the company make an item for composites to be displayed so one does not have to look at them sideways? Most composites I've seen are wider than tall, with most poster-holders taller than wide.

Thank you for any help you can give!

honeychile 01-09-2015 08:31 PM

When I was the Advisor, we took most of the composites out of their frames, kept only four extra frames, and sold the rest. That way, the composites could be shown at Homecoming etc, without taking up so much room. I have no idea if they still do that, though.

33girl 01-09-2015 08:56 PM

Absolutely do not dispose of them. Just get rid of the frames.

Still BLUTANG 01-09-2015 09:22 PM

Definitely check with your HQ to see if they offer any archiving solutions. You may also want to contact your university library/ campus archive to see if they have any interest.

This could also be a fundraising opportunity if you absolutely MUST get rid of the composite. Maybe have an online auction geared to chapter alumni to "rescue" each sheet.

DGTess 01-09-2015 10:16 PM

Do not dispose, please.

I visited our chapter house a couple of years ago. To see the composites in which I was pictured - even though in a 3rd floor hallway - tickled me.

(I do not have a copy. I've asked a couple of times for someone to scan or photograph and send to me, but it hasn't happened yet.)

sigmagirl10 01-09-2015 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheerio (Post 2304034)
Do you know the name of the company who makes these? And you DO mean that only the COMPOSITE goes into the sleeve (as a poster would) NOT the heavy frame, right?!

Does the company make an item for composites to be displayed so one does not have to look at them sideways? Most composites I've seen are wider than tall, with most poster-holders taller than wide.

Thank you for any help you can give!

My cursory brainstorming and googling says that this thing is called a swinging panel poster display. Looks like you can get them in a variety of sizes, so I bet you'd be able to find one that works for those giant composites.
Here are a couple of links I found.
http://www.displays4sale.com/StoreMo...s-Art-Displays
http://www.swingpanels.com/

honeychile 01-11-2015 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGTess (Post 2304046)

(I do not have a copy. I've asked a couple of times for someone to scan or photograph and send to me, but it hasn't happened yet.)

This is a chance for sororities to make a few bucks, too. Scan the old composites, and make the images available to alumnae. I'd buy one!

DGTess 01-11-2015 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 2304134)
This is a chance for sororities to make a few bucks, too. Scan the old composites, and make the images available to alumnae. I'd buy one!

I do love that idea, but have not made the suggestion to my organization because I simply don't know what copyright laws on those old composites are. They *may* be subject to copyright still, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to know.

But yes, I would buy one from at least each of my four years.

JB5387 11-14-2016 03:32 PM

Old composites

Hey, I'm not sure how old this thread is but I was looking for my Grandfathers composites and contacted the company that did them (in the '40s) and they were able to pull them from their archives. As long as Vantine's did your composites you can always call and they will replace yours at a reasonable price. They were super nice about it too.

honeychile 11-14-2016 05:53 PM

^^This made me seriously LOL!! When I was in school, our college panhellenic engaged in the "Vantine Wars". I don't remember the details, but it had something to do with how many years Vantine tried to lock in on composites and not being flexible about the style. Just hearing the name made me giggle a little!