GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Parties for PNR's (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=140323)

RollTideMom 03-25-2014 09:11 AM

Parties for PNR's

My daughter got an invite via email thru the school email account to a party at a sorority. I don't want to say name of sorority or type, but it's on a Saturday from 6-9. Is it normal for sororities to have parties for Prospective New Recruites? If so, do they all have them and how important is it to go to these? We live 8 hrs away, so it's not exactly close by. And I did email the Greek office asking them about this, but haven't heard back yet. My daughter's future roommate got an invite too to another sorority party similar to this but on another weekend. I do know after May 1st no contact is allowed between the PNR's and the sorority, so maybe this is just a one time get to know you type party. Which is what I think it may be. What should she wear? d

AZTheta 03-25-2014 11:30 AM

Good morning! FYI, it is Potential New Member (abbreviated PNM), not "Recruite".

That's all I can say about this; letting those who know about this comment (or not).

AnchorAlumna 03-25-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollTideMom (Post 2267028)
My daughter got an invite via email thru the school email account to a party at a sorority. I don't want to say name of sorority or type, but it's on a Saturday from 6-9. Is it normal for sororities to have parties for Prospective New Recruites? If so, do they all have them and how important is it to go to these? We live 8 hrs away, so it's not exactly close by. And I did email the Greek office asking them about this, but haven't heard back yet. My daughter's future roommate got an invite too to another sorority party similar to this but on another weekend. I do know after May 1st no contact is allowed between the PNR's and the sorority, so maybe this is just a one time get to know you type party. Which is what I think it may be. What should she wear? d

Relax, RTMom. You probably haven't gotten a reply from Greek Affairs because they're on spring break this week. One day, they may get a job in the real world and find out that not everybody gets a spring break!

These spring parties are peculiar to the University of Alabama. They are invitation-only parties that the sororities may choose to host on certain dates only - I think on just those two weekends. Your daughter may (but probably won't) get invitations to all 16 participating sororities. Other girls may only get a few. I'm pretty sure all the sororities are participating, but it's optional for them, too.
The PNMs do NOT have to go, and if they live too far away or have other obligations, it will NOT affect them during recruitment in August. It's, as you say, an informal way to get better acquainted with the PNMs before "silence" begins. They know that high school senior years are busy.

I've heard "casual" attire, but a cute casual spring dress with flats would be appropriate, I think. Unless it's freezing, which it could be! In that case, the collegiate uniform of skinny jeans and tall boots would apply.

In the past, sororities would host parties at alums' homes all around the state during the summer....never mind that they've almost always been "illegal" and not according to UA Panhellenic rules. And high school girls would be invited to come spend the weekend during the school year, in the house, with accompanying fraternity parties. All that is now forbidden, and these parties (plus some around the state at Christmas) are allowed.

Maman 03-25-2014 12:56 PM

A good read for the OP:
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=135221

Do the PNMs wear name tags? I would think a little extra contact with the sororities could possibly be an advantage.

OOS PNMs do receive bids at Alabama. Check the bid lists for the last few years to see if anyone from your hometown is on the list.

Full disclosure: My daughter went through a competitive recruitment at a non-SEC school where legacies and in-state PNMs dominated the applicant pool.

RollTideMom 03-25-2014 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTheta (Post 2267046)
Good morning! FYI, it is Potential New Member (abbreviated PNM), not "Recruite".

That's all I can say about this; letting those who know about this comment (or not).

ooops, my bad, I'm new to this. Just learning the ropes:)

RollTideMom 03-25-2014 01:50 PM

I thought theirs was last week. Got an email about their offices being closed due to spring break last week, but maybe they meant this week.

I did remember the "silence" time which is after May 1st. Whew, glad about that, as I don't know if my daughter can squeeze in to attend anymore "get to know you" parties. May is just too busy for seniors!

She does have a collection of cute outfits, so I am sure she will come up with something. and of course skinny jeans and tall boots.

Thank you, I will keep this in mind! We live in a very small town and we don't know anyone else going to or who is already attending UA. We decided for our daughter to attend this party. At least maybe it will get her foot in the door a little bit. Last month she got some Valentine cards from some sororities and she sent thank you cards back with her senior pic on the front.

I did read that link of that post and though it was good information, I think it was pretty biased by saying it is all in who you know. Since she doesn't know anyone,, though her roommate does, maybe that will help. Like I said, we live in a small town and so no one that we know of goes to UA. We will just have to do the best we can. She does have an excellent academic and achievement base and a high GPA. Plus she is very personable and loves meeting new people, so hopefully that will help as well.

Thank you for your help and info, I really do appreciate it.

FSUZeta 03-25-2014 04:02 PM

RTMom, I know several girls from out of state who all received bids at Bama. They did not know anyone prior to recruitment, except that they all did attend the panhellenic weekend in the spring of their senior year. Did they receive their first choice? I really don't know, but they are all happy, active members. A couple were legacies, but did not join their legacy chapters.

Forgot to add: They all had recs. to every chapter

AnchorAlumna 03-25-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollTideMom (Post 2267073)
I thought theirs was last week. Got an email about their offices being closed due to spring break last week, but maybe they meant this week.

I did remember the "silence" time which is after May 1st. Whew, glad about that, as I don't know if my daughter can squeeze in to attend anymore "get to know you" parties. May is just too busy for seniors!

She does have a collection of cute outfits, so I am sure she will come up with something. and of course skinny jeans and tall boots.

Thank you, I will keep this in mind! We live in a very small town and we don't know anyone else going to or who is already attending UA. We decided for our daughter to attend this party. At least maybe it will get her foot in the door a little bit. Last month she got some Valentine cards from some sororities and she sent thank you cards back with her senior pic on the front.

I did read that link of that post and though it was good information, I think it was pretty biased by saying it is all in who you know. Since she doesn't know anyone,, though her roommate does, maybe that will help. Like I said, we live in a small town and so no one that we know of goes to UA. We will just have to do the best we can. She does have an excellent academic and achievement base and a high GPA. Plus she is very personable and loves meeting new people, so hopefully that will help as well.

Thank you for your help and info, I really do appreciate it.

Yes, spring break began last weekend but in reality some took off on Thursday! They'll be back this coming Sunday night.

Sounds like your daughter is already on their radar, so that's great! Well, just about everything in life is about who you know, but we all start out knowing very few people and build from there! About 60% of last year's new sorority members were from out of state, and the majority of the student population is from out of state, so she has PLENTY of company in that. There is absolutely no sorority that shuns out of state PNMs, even the ones you hear are "old row, blue-blood"...they may have a slight majority of in-state new member classes, but every group does take OOS girls.

ree-Xi 03-26-2014 11:33 AM

Just wondering, is it common for a student to have a campus email address so many months before school starts?

33girl 03-26-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ree-Xi (Post 2267199)
Just wondering, is it common for a student to have a campus email address so many months before school starts?

I think most places give them out as soon as the student accepts. It makes it a lot easier to send out info.

ree-Xi 03-29-2014 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2267204)
I think most places give them out as soon as the student accepts. It makes it a lot easier to send out info.

thank you!

als463 03-29-2014 04:52 PM

Why were previous posts from regular posters erased from this thread?

AnchorAlumna 03-29-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ree-Xi (Post 2267199)

I believe that at Alabama, they get an e-mail address as soon as they're accepted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by als463 (Post 2267718)

I don't think any posts have been erased from this thread. Maybe you're thinking of another thread?

etadrisophila 03-29-2014 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by als463 (Post 2267718)

There was another thread started by the OP to the effect of "can you believe this" about letters of reference but that thread is no longer visible.

als463 03-29-2014 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etadrisophila (Post 2267742)
There was another thread started by the OP to the effect of "can you believe this" about letters of reference but that thread is no longer visible.

You may be right about that. Thanks.