GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Careers & Employment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Interview attire? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=70196)

UWOAPhi 09-08-2005 10:35 PM

Interview attire?

Do I need to wear suit to a job interview? I have an upcoming job interview with the Federal government. I would like to wear a navy skirt and striped blouse as my grey suit does not fit and I do not want to splurge on a new one.

ztawinthropgirl 09-09-2005 12:18 AM

An interview with the federal government, I would say yes you need to wear a suit. If the suit you already have does not fit, then, it may be time to splurge on a new one. I would say wear a suit to any interview.

aephi alum 09-09-2005 08:48 AM

Wear a suit. If you don't own a suit that fits, buy a new one. I recommend a suit with a skirt. Don't worry about splurging - you'll find other uses for the suit (other interviews, work attire, etc).

Little E 09-09-2005 09:24 AM

Everyone should always have a suit that fits. Its what you do for job interviews. I'd wear a suit.

There are still many segments of society that do not accept a looser dress code, job interviewing is one. The suit also projects an image (presuming it is neat) that you are serious about the job interview and not just wasting their time. If you are applying to be a store clerk at the Gap, the skirt and button up would be fine, but that isn't what you are doing.

Good Luck with the interview!

valkyrie 09-09-2005 12:20 PM

I think the outfit you've proposed is fine. Dress codes and expectations have relaxed considerably in the past few years, and I think a skirt and blouse would be perfectly appropriate.

I usually wear suits to interviews, but I wear them with open toed shoes, which I was always told was a no-no. I've worn sweater sets also.

33girl 09-09-2005 12:26 PM

if it was someplace else, maybe a skirt & blouse would work - but with the Federal gov't, definitely suit all the way.

valkyrie 09-09-2005 12:37 PM

Y'all must think the feds are all terribly stuffy. I worked for the federal gov't for years and I don't think most people there gave a rat's ass what anybody wore to interviews.

While it may be best to wear suits to interviews, I don't think it's worth knocking yourself out about it, seriously.

EEKappa 09-09-2005 01:37 PM

You can't go wrong with a suit. I do a lot of interviewing for entry level office positions, and I am always more inclined to hire a candidate who is wearing a blazer/jacket/suit. When an interviewee shows up with just a blouse or a shirt and tie, I wonder if he or she understands what it means to "put your best foot forward." I haven't seen much of a correlation between interview attire and job performance, but I will admit to "interviewer bias."

Oh, and be sure send a thank you note too!

Hope that you get the job, if you want it. :)

CarolinaDG 09-09-2005 09:05 PM

I dunno... I mean, I just went through interviewing for an assistant, and you wouldn't believe what little things I cut people on. I would think that if everyone else interviewing for the position wore a suit, and you didn't, that it would be pretty hard to win yourself back. Just my thought.

AChiOAlumna 09-09-2005 10:24 PM

I think you need to consider that environment in which you are interviewing for. Will the interviewer most likely be wearing a 3-piece suit? If so, you need to splurge and buy yourself that new "interview suit." If the office is more a "polo and dockers" environment, then a formal suit for yourself may make yourself more dressed than your environment and may not be appropriate.

I'll give an example. I was interviewing for a counseling position with a city clinic. I wore a skirt and blouse with a plain black jacket, stockings and heels. Can you believe that the gentleman who interviewed me was wearing a short-sleeved shirt and a wrinkled pair of khakis?! I saw employees wearing jeans and polo shirts. I was so overdressed for this environment, that I stuck out like a sore thumb!!

DGMarie 09-10-2005 12:30 AM

Wear a good suit. It does not need to be expensive, but it needs to be nicely cut, a good color (dark blue is always a winner) with a skirt or nice dress slacks, and nice (CLEAN) shoes. You can find something inexpensive at places like Dress Barn, Kohls, any mid priced department store. For Federal Govt this is a must.

I would never dress down for a first interview. We are a business casual office. Even dress jeans and a trendy top are appropriate (marketing for a Fortune 100 company), when someone interviews they wear a suit. Entry level even. It makes a good first impression. When you get the job wear dockers etc, but not for the first interview.

My 2 cents after 13 years in corporate America.

texas*princess 09-11-2005 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by valkyrie
Y'all must think the feds are all terribly stuffy. I worked for the federal gov't for years and I don't think most people there gave a rat's ass what anybody wore to interviews.

While it may be best to wear suits to interviews, I don't think it's worth knocking yourself out about it, seriously.

I totally agree.

I did suits for a bunch of my interviews when I was looking for a job, but it just felt so unnatural.. which probably increased my nervousness.

On interviews that I got a call back from (and ultimately got offers), I wore some nice Express editor pants, a very nice 3/4 button-up collared shirt and cute accessories. I felt way cuter in that then in a suit, and I was more comfortable, which increased my confidence (suits make me feel like a little kid playing dressup with clothes from a mom's closet :p)