GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Plegdes wearing letters??? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=1320)

pirate00 04-25-2001 10:18 AM

Plegdes wearing letters???

I have noticed on my campus that some fraternities let their pledges wear stitched letters. This is strictly prohibited in Alpha Phi Omega, where pledges only wear a pin and a pledge jersey with a screen-printed reproduction of our letters. Once initiated, they have earned the right to wear stitched letters, use, and own APO paraphernalia (such as our crest). Does your GLO allow pledges to wear stitched letters prior to initiation?

-pirate00
Alpha Phi Omega www.apo.org
Kappa Upsilon www.geocities.com/apoku_99
East Carolina Univ. www.ecu.edu

Be a leader, be a friend, be of service!

[This message has been edited by pirate00 (edited April 30, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by pirate00 (edited May 06, 2001).]

dzrose93 04-25-2001 10:37 AM

Our girls can wear DZ letters, but cannot wear the Delta Zeta crest in any way until after initiation. Not on a lavaliere, hat, car, shirt, etc.

Turtlegirl 04-25-2001 10:39 AM

My chapter of Delta Zeta lets new members (we don't call them pledges) wear any kind of DZ letters or 'nalia except the crest. I have heard that other chapters on our campus have rules similar to those that you are talking about.

sigmagrrl 04-25-2001 10:49 AM

All Sigma Sigma Sigma new members are allowed to wear letters, but not allowed to own anything with the crest on it, if I am not mistaken.

PenguinTrax 04-25-2001 10:58 AM

ZTA new members can wear letters but are prohibited from wearing the crest in any form.

Barbara

hillarypbf1723 04-25-2001 11:04 AM

We don't let our pledges wear their block letters or stiched letters until they are initiated. They can wear screened tee-shirts with our name or letters on it, and they are allowed to wear their lavalier and anything else. We are the only sorority to really do that on our campus, all the others seem to let their girls wear block letters once they get them from their big.

------------------
Hillary
Pi Phi love and mine

finest_alum 04-25-2001 11:33 AM

ADPi Alpha's (pledges) are allowed to wear letters, but not allowed to possess anything with the crest until initiated.

shadokat 04-25-2001 01:33 PM

As the others said, Delta Phi Epsilon new members may wear letters in any form, but they may not wear the crest or a sister badge before they are initiated.

James 04-25-2001 02:13 PM

Nationally Kappa Sigma's policy is that pledges may wear letters but nothing with the symbols of the fraternity, the crest or star and crescent. No doubt some of the policy is designed to help colonies.

Local chapters definitely differ with the general trend that I have seen being no lettters for pledges.

Interesting enough, when we colonized we had members go out and buy letters the very next day . . . but when we recieved our charter these same people were the ones who voted against pledges wearing letters until initiated. Odd hypocracy.

[This message has been edited by James (edited April 25, 2001).]

dzrose93 04-25-2001 02:44 PM

Hey James,

I guess it varies from campus to campus, because I can remember going to buy a Kappa Sig hat for one of my friends who was a pledge at the time. The hat had "Kappa Sigma" on the front, and then small Greek letters KS on the back. He had to actually cover up the KS with masking tape if he wanted to wear it.

The rules on my campus for the Kappa Sig chapter was that pledges could wear the name "Kappa Sigma" spelled out completely, but they couldn't wear the letters themselves (or star and crescent, etc.) until after initiation. That was in 1993, so maybe things have changed since then?

pirate00 04-25-2001 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dzrose93:
The rules on my campus for the Kappa Sig chapter was that pledges could wear the name "Kappa Sigma" spelled out completely, but they couldn't wear the letters themselves (or star and crescent, etc.) until after initiation. That was in 1993, so maybe things have changed since then?
Yeah, something similar with our chapter. When we get our semiformal shirts with "Alpha Phi Omega" spelled out on the front, Pledges can wear them because there is no crest on it.

-pirate00

bucutie02 04-25-2001 03:50 PM

At Baylor, the Pi Beta Phi pledges are not allowed to wear anything with their entire sorority name on it. For example, they can wear tshirts with "Pi Phi" on it, but not "Pi Beta Phi". I remember this girl that was pledging and she was wearing a hat that said Pi Beta Phi but had taped up the "Beta" part of her hat and said that she cant wear the hat without the tape on it until after initiation. I thought that was interesting.

Billy Optimist 04-25-2001 04:57 PM

James, were you initiated when you joined the colony, or did you have to wait untill you were chartered.
At my school, most fraternities have pledge shirts with the fraternity letters on the upper left of the chest, over the heart, or there abouts. These letters are like maybe, an inch high. Little ones. And sometimes the pledge letters or chapter letters are on the sleves.

Katey Alpha Gam 04-25-2001 07:10 PM

With AGD, we are not allowed to wear the coat of arms or the badge until initiated. The way our bigs and littles work is that we our big the second we become a pledge and usually the first gift you recieve that night are a new set of stitched letters

------------------
Katey, ZA chapter of AGD
"Could I have been anyone other than me?"-Dave Matthews

AOX81 04-25-2001 08:05 PM

In my sorority you are not allowed to wear letters until you are initiated. The only things, sorority related, that they are allowed to wear are party t-shirts, their pledge pins, and anything with the name of our sorority spelled out. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

33girl 04-25-2001 08:13 PM

In A Phi O and in my sorority, pledges could wear any kind of letters but not the crest. The stitched letters thing wasn't an issue because waaaaaaaaaaaay back when I pledged on the prairie http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif we couldn't get the stitched letters.

AOX81, a local sorority on my campus had the same rule that they could only wear the words, not the Greek letters. I lived w/ one of their pledges and on one of her colors days, she borrowed my Derby Daze shirt because it was the same color. Ooops, it's got her sorority letters on it... http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/redface.gif

[This message has been edited by 33girl (edited April 25, 2001).]

Miami1839 04-25-2001 08:32 PM

DZRose93, thats exactly how we did it with my chapter. Pledges couldnt wear letters or event tshirts. But they could wear shirts with BETA spelled out. Pledges couldnt wear hats either.

Kevin
Beta Theta Pi Alum
Epsilon Mu

[This message has been edited by Miami1839 (edited April 25, 2001).]

naraht 04-25-2001 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pirate00:
Quote:

Originally posted by naraht:
This varies from chapter to chapter. I've seen chapters do everything from nothing but the pledge pin, to gifts from bigs during the pledge period that can be just about anything.

The only policies that go beyond the chapter are those for Petitioning Groups (Colonies) where the region determines the policy.

Yeah, you've got a point there. I can only speak for my chapter. Once initiated, we do something called a paddle-letter exchange where the a little brother gives his big the paddle in exchange for their letters and other gifts. It's a tradition we've had since our chapter was founded in 1953.

Sounds like a very cool tradition! My chapter didn't do paddles, but did do gifts to littles at inititation.

------------------
Naraht
Alpha Phi Omega Alumni Volunteer

USCourtney 04-25-2001 10:17 PM

as for kappa alpha theta, as pledges we are not allowed to wear anything that has our letters... on lavaliers, shirts, sweatshirts, backpacks... nothing. the only thing that national lets us have is the word THETA along with our pledge pins.

KSig RC 04-25-2001 11:13 PM

To go along w/ what James has said, our chapter does not allow pledges to wear letters (under the reasoning that they don't know what they mean in any respect [words or feeling], so it's sort of a moot point). Some others around here do, though - a few allow only the words spelled out, and two allow anything but the badge/crest. Interesting how differences work, especially b/w chapters even in the same district.

Unregistered- 04-25-2001 11:58 PM

To add on to my AGD sister's post above,

As new members, they are encouraged to wear the letters! Again, the only things they are prohibited from wearing are the crest and badge...simply because they haven't yet learned the entire meaning and sacredness of those two symbols.

As a sister-daughter one of the first gifts I received from my sister-mom was my very first AGD sweatshirt. For 8 weeks I wore those letters proudly, and I was even prouder when I was initiated!

------------------
"Talk doesn't cook rice."--Someone smart

Visit Alpha Gamma Delta-Delta Sigma chapter and help some sisters out!

AlphaXiGirl 04-26-2001 12:02 AM

We do allow new members to wear letters of any style or stitching. In fact, many times big sisters will give little sisters jerseys with letters as a gift.

I read a post one time about a group that only allows new members to wear shirts with iron-on letters and when they are initiated, they can wear stitched letters. From what I remember, the rationale was that iron-on letters were "temporary" and could be stripped if need be... but stitched letters imply permanance.

I guess the way I see it, it seems like "temporary letters" imply that someone may not be initiated.

We assume that every woman that pledges will be initiated... that's not to say that 100% of the women that we pledge are initiated but we wouldn't have given a bid to someone that we didn't think was going to be a permanent member of our sisterhood.

Pirate00, I'm not implying that what you guys do is wrong. Or even that the reason above is why you don't allow new members to wear stitched letters. That's not for me to say. I think it's maybe just a different way of thinking about the new member (pledge) period.

[This message has been edited by AlphaXiGirl (edited April 25, 2001).]

naraht 04-26-2001 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by pirate00:
I have noticed on my campus that some fraternities let their pledges wear stitched letters. This is strictly prohibited in Alpha Phi Omega, where pledges only wear a pin and a pledge jersey with a screen-printed reproduction of our letters. Once initiated, they have earned the right to wear stitched letters and own APO paraphernalia. Does your GLO allow pledges to wear stitched letters prior to initiation?
This varies from chapter to chapter. I've seen chapters do everything from nothing but the pledge pin, to gifts from bigs during the pledge period that can be just about anything.

The only policies that go beyond the chapter are those for Petitioning Groups (Colonies) where the region determines the policy.

------------------
Naraht
Alpha Phi Omega Alumni Volunteer

pirate00 04-26-2001 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by naraht:

Yeah, you've got a point there. I can only speak for my chapter. Once initiated, we do something called a paddle-letter exchange where the a little brother gives his big the paddle in exchange for their letters and other gifts. It's a tradition we've had since our chapter was founded in 1953.

-pirate00

pikeks109 04-26-2001 03:47 AM

Wow thats really interesting, I didn't know that other organizations allowed their new memembers to wear letters (iron-on or stitched) The way it is on my campus, is that pledges aren't allowed to wear the letters because out of respect and because they did not know what they symbolized.

Harmony 04-26-2001 04:54 AM

In my chapter, new members are not generally "supposed to" wear full frontals. Bigs often hand them down during big/little week, but the tradition seems to be that "pledges" are asked not to wear them around until they get initiated. Of course, noone informed my pledge class, but oh well!

James 04-26-2001 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Billy Optimist:
James, were you initiated when you joined the colony, or did you have to wait untill you were chartered.
At my school, most fraternities have pledge shirts with the fraternity letters on the upper left of the chest, over the heart, or there abouts. These letters are like maybe, an inch high. Little ones. And sometimes the pledge letters or chapter letters are on the sleves.

Colony status was synonomous with being a pledge. Getting chartered happened after Ritual initiation . . . and the check clearing . . . not sure which was more important http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif

UNFSigmaChi 04-26-2001 09:24 AM

Pledges aren't allowed to wear letters just anything that has Sigma Chi written out. The only fraternity that does that here at my school is Pi Kappa Phi and they blanket bid so they don't really have much of a brotherhood. You can tell they don't appreciate their letters cause they've been able to wear them since day one. The sororities here are allowed to wear their letters though when they are new members.

zete_boy 04-26-2001 04:41 PM

Hey,
here i think excpet for Alpha gam on my campus (dalhousie university) pledges are not allowed to wear letters in no way shape or form, they can wear pledge pins, that's it, until they are initiated they havn't proven themselves worthy http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Edgar A. Hartling
Zulu and Constitution Contact
Zeta Psi Fraternity of North America - Alpha Mu Chapter
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia

PinkStar17 04-26-2001 06:02 PM

At my school in Miami, our "Phi's" aren't allowed to wear stiched on letters until they are innitiated. We were allowed to wear any kind of iron on letters of any colors and any patterns as long as they were ironed on.. my pledge class got creative with cute fabrics and iron on stuff from a craft store, they were unique and alot of fun to make..
But the honor of being innitiated and "earning" the letters you wear was so much fun. I love my stich ons now http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif
Most chapters on my campus have the same kind of rule. Iron ons can be taken off.. stich ons are stuck for life http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif
thats just how it is here..

------------------
Love, Honor, Truth

KSigkid 04-26-2001 06:49 PM

The Kappa Sigma national standard is that pledges can wear letters, but they can't wear the crest or the letters AEKDB (our secret motto) My chapter doesn't allow pledges to wear letters or Kappa Sigma at all.

LexiKD 04-26-2001 09:52 PM

We allow are New Members to wear letters and use stickers and such, but they cannot use the crest/badge, mostly because they have no idea what they mean. But I think allowing New Members to wear letters shows that they are part of the group and just working towards the good stuff!
Can anyone explian why New Members shouldn't wear letters or the reason behind your policies/chapter tadition?

zete_boy 04-26-2001 11:10 PM

ecukd,

It's not the fact that we don't want our pledges to feel a part of us, it's that the letters mean something to us and stand for something. Pledges don't know what they mean, so it's not fair for them to wear them. Also, not letting them wear letters till they are brothers, gives them more pride the first time they are allowed to wear them, gives them a sense of acomplishment and that they truly earned to be here and wear them.

------------------
Edgar A. Hartling
Zulu and Constitution Contact
Zeta Psi Fraternity of North America - Alpha Mu Chapter
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia

LexiKD 04-27-2001 12:19 AM

I understand the concept, it's the same as our New Members not wearing a badge or our crest, but how does anyone know who is a new member in your organization?
I guess why I cannot fully understand is at ECU we have Panhellenic events and Greek info sessions where our entire organization, including new and old wear letters to promote each chapter. Also we have letter day each week. I felt as a new member it was awesome to look cute in my letters once a week and it did make me feel like part of the group before I was a real KD. I guess my situation was diferent beacuse we were KD new members from April until November...we were a colony and came on to campus in April, but did not colonize until after Formal Recruitment, so if I couldn't have worn letters I would have felt very lost. But I assume most normal new member periods are 6-8weeks then it really may not be an issue!
Thanks for the insight!

------------------
Lexi Hasapis

KSig RC 04-27-2001 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ecukd:
I understand the concept, it's the same as our New Members not wearing a badge or our crest, but how does anyone know who is a new member in your organization?

Pledge pin - most are pretty easy to recognize (ie SAE is pretty different from Chi Phi and from ours), so that's how pledges are associated with their organization here. Hope this helps!

Rob

juniorgrrl 04-27-2001 03:48 PM

At LSU, all the sororities give out stitched letters on Bid Day. The only exceptions are Theta (who just wears "Theta") and Pi Beta Phi (who just wears "Pi Phi").

LexiKD 04-27-2001 11:38 PM

The majority of our Fraternity chapters do not use pins, that I see. Unless they are dressed up or dressed alike, then it's pretty easy. Sororities ususally wear colored ribbons, except KD, ZTA, and Alpha phi, so we know who is who.
ECU is small enough that everyone knows who everyone else is, so it's easy for us to tell who is in what, but I was just curious about other schools!
Thanks!

------------------
Lexi

Miami1839 04-28-2001 06:23 PM

I think its just different for guys than it is for girls. In many respects. When it comes to new members wearing letters or even recruitment. I guess it is difficult to tell on the weekends or when your out whos a pledge and whos a brother. Unless your in class and they're wearing their pins. My Fraternity pin has three stars. I suppose if you hang out with a particular fraternity or sorority everyone gets to know everyone else. So the people that are new sort of stick out and you can tell if they are brothers or not.

PiBetaPhi 04-28-2001 08:35 PM

as pi phi-you can only wear words during your pledgeship. once you go through initiation, then you can wear whatever you want to. the reason behind this is that as pledges you don't know the true meaning of the letters. once you know the true meaning then you may wear pi phi letters. it makes it more special!!

kappagirl00 04-29-2001 02:52 AM

While we're on the subject of letters, I've been wondering something. At my school, only one NPC sorority wears stitch on letters, and none of the IFC frats do. I'm not sure about the other GLO's because many of them don't wear letters often in any way, shape, or form. I guess stitch ons just aren't popular here -- any other campuses like mine?