GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   The sorority cost/money/financial thread. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=135229)

SoCalGirl 08-22-2014 02:32 PM

I wouldn't really worry about telling a freshman PNM that in 5 years she may have annual alumnae dues that cost less than a Costco membership.

unarose 08-22-2014 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OPhiAGinger (Post 2287268)
Given all the upthread posts about alumnae dues, I wonder if any PNM financial information includes details about that, too. The ones I've seen only list New Member and Active financial obligations. If not, how and when do you inform your members about their financial obligations as an alumna?

I would think most groups would address it during the New Member period at some point and then refresh them their senior year when it's time to think about their Senior Commitment (or whatever your group calls it).

PersistentDST 08-22-2014 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OPhiAGinger (Post 2287268)
Given all the upthread posts about alumnae dues, I wonder if any PNM financial information includes details about that, too. The ones I've seen only list New Member and Active financial obligations. If not, how and when do you inform your members about their financial obligations as an alumna?

Speaking from the standpoint of an NPHC sorority, we have programs in place to help our college seniors transition to alumnae chapters. I know it has helped some who are relocating, needing to meet new members and it also helps with preparation for dues and fees. I think the same could be applied to NPC organizations.

Titchou 08-22-2014 08:55 PM

Our new members and graduating seniors are informed that they should pay their national per capita dues when they are alums. This amount is tied to an index so it can vary from year to year. Each alumnae group sets their own dues and can change them annually so that specific information is not possible to pass on.

Fifty year members do not have to pay any dues...but certainly may, if they want.

unarose 08-22-2014 09:09 PM

We're not NPC, but our alumnae dues and collegiate dues nationally are both currently the same ($35/year). New Member (MIT) pledging fee is currently $50, and Initiation is $250 and includes the regulation semi-crown pearl vermeil badge. The upgrade to the full-crown 10k badge is $80 extra on the Initiation fee. That upgrade is actually the only new member related thing that has changed in the last three years since my own initiation. It was $50 when I opted for it myself.

As for chapter dues, each chapter (alumnae and collegiate) set their own local dues just like other orgs do. Also, our International Chapter (for sisters who don't live near another active chapter) has its own yearly dues, which are currently $20 a year.

KSUViolet06 08-22-2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalGirl (Post 2287275)
I wouldn't really worry about telling a freshman PNM that in 5 years she may have annual alumnae dues that cost less than a Costco membership.

YES!

When I was told how much alumnae dues were when I graduated, I was like "That's it?"

KSUViolet06 06-23-2015 12:46 AM

Bumping this for Fall 2015!

PNMs, know what this is going to cost you and make sure that you are prepared!

KSUViolet06 07-12-2015 05:22 PM

Bumping.

KSUViolet06 08-13-2016 09:04 PM

Bumping. Because being Greek is not fun if you have to depledge because you "didn't think it was going to be so expensive."

AXiDfromKSU 08-15-2016 03:51 PM

As our chapter's financial advisor, I thank you for putting this out there. Again.

BabyBlue91 08-17-2016 08:38 PM

Another alum here! Other things to consider:
  • Clothes/shoes (may be required for initiation/rituals, events, formals), as well as hair and/or makeup
  • Conferences/retreats above the local level (registration, transportation, hotel, meals)
  • Mandatory training/certification for those seeking leadership positions in the sorority (e.g., background check)

Will add more of these as I think of them. Sorority membership is absolutely a luxury ...

FSUZeta 08-18-2016 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyBlue91 (Post 2416369)
Another alum here! Other things to consider:
  • Clothes/shoes (may be required for initiation/rituals, events, formals), as well as hair and/or makeup
  • Conferences/retreats above the local level (registration, transportation, hotel, meals)
  • Mandatory training/certification for those seeking leadership positions in the sorority (e.g., background check)

Will add more of these as I think of them. Sorority membership is absolutely a luxury ...

Some of the items you listed may be organization or even chapter specific.

HQWest 08-19-2016 09:30 AM

Again, if you have to work to help pay for rent or tuition, maybe sorority life is just not for you? This is something to think long and hard about BEFORE recruitment. Especially if you are on a campus with big houses and higher dues.

There are lots of activities, and it is just no fun if you can never go to them if you have to study or go to work. There are fines if you miss recruitment or workshops or philanthropy events, too.

Some chapters are more friendly about excusing absences for work or for SGA or athletics and some are not. This is something to ask your friends in sororities about BEFORE recruitment.

Finally, if you have to drop because of money, you cannot come to events. You cannot wear letters. Anything you bought with the crest or letters on it, you are supposed to give it back to the chapter. (Although I suppose you could sell it on ebay.)

maconmagnolia 08-20-2016 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HQWest (Post 2416469)
Again, if you have to work to help pay for rent or tuition, maybe sorority life is just not for you? This is something to think long and hard about BEFORE recruitment. Especially if you are on a campus with big houses and higher dues.

)

This. I loved my time in a sorority as an undergrad, but if you are struggling to pay tuition and keep a roof over your head, Greek Life should be your last priority.

clemsongirl 08-20-2016 07:00 PM

And if you KNOW you'll have to work to pay tuition and you KNOW you want to go Greek at some point in your undergraduate career it may be wise to look at sorority costs while deciding on a college. I am not an advocate of going to college just to go Greek but if School 1 is going to cost $10k a year to be in a sorority and School 2 will cost $1000 and they both have the same program you want, that is something to consider.