GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Academics (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Accredited masters w/o taking GRE/GMAT (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=114170)

belle_phoenix 06-08-2010 04:59 PM

Accredited masters w/o taking GRE/GMAT

Need help finding an accredited program that does not require taking the GRE or GMAT. Would prefer campus site, but on-line is acceptable. :o

knight_shadow 06-08-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belle_phoenix (Post 1940708)
Need help finding an accredited program that does not require taking the GRE or GMAT. Would prefer campus site, but on-line is acceptable. :o

Google :)

Honestly, though, do you think the quality of the degree is going to be worth it?

Kevin 06-08-2010 05:10 PM

Spam answer to come...

Protip: Spamming for a crappy-shouldn't-be-accredited Master's program is only marginally convincing when you at least pretend to be looking for a particular sort of program.

ColdInCanada11 06-08-2010 05:15 PM

FWIW, almost no Canadian universities (or any of the European universities I've been looking at for that matter) require the GRE. However, from what I've read almost every American university requires them. It also depends on your field of study. If everyone else in your field has taken them, why would you want to be the only one that hasn't?

als463 06-08-2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight_shadow (Post 1940709)
Google :)

Honestly, though, do you think the quality of the degree is going to be worth it?

Hey don't say that. Almost ALL MSW programs, nationwide, don't require GRE/ GMAT scores. Also, I received my Master's in Education from Penn State University and I never took the GRE/ GMAT because if your GPA is high enough, some schools don't expect you to take those tests, either.

knight_shadow 06-08-2010 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by als463 (Post 1940750)
Hey don't say that. Almost ALL MSW programs, nationwide, don't require GRE/ GMAT scores. Also, I received my Master's in Education from Penn State University and I never took the GRE/ GMAT because if your GPA is high enough, some schools don't expect you to take those tests, either.

Well, no MSW program should require the GMAT, but I get what you're saying.

If the OP was in your situation (high enough GPA), though, s/he would already know about the test waivers.

libramunoz 06-08-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by als463 (Post 1940750)

Don't know what MSW program YOU'RE talking about because ALMOST IF NOT ALL DO REQUIRE a GRE score if they are accredited by the CSWE. Sorry to burst that bubble, but unless you are in this field and HAVE GONE to grad school for an MSW, leave it to those WHO HAVE.

DrPhil 06-08-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by libramunoz (Post 1940755)
Don't know what MSW program YOU'RE talking about because ALMOST IF NOT ALL DO REQUIRE a GRE score if they are accredited by the CSWE. Sorry to burst that bubble, but unless you are in this field and HAVE GONE to grad school for an MSW, leave it to those WHO HAVE.

:)

It's a good thing that you and als463 both said "almost" because it isn't "all" on either side. LOL. Some MSW programs that are CSWE accredited (including a few at Research I institutions) only require a GRE or MAT score if the GPA is below a 3.0.

UPenn is one such institution (however, they don't mention a GPA requirement) and it isn't the only institution:
http://www.sp2.upenn.edu/programs/msw/index.html
http://www.sp2.upenn.edu/programs/msw/faq.html

als463 06-08-2010 08:31 PM

What do I know?

Quote:

Originally Posted by libramunoz (Post 1940755)

That's funny. I AM in the field and I am planning on getting my MSW, even though I hold an M.Ed. from Penn State. What's even funnier is that according to many WELL-KNOWN and RESPECTABLE schools, the GRE is NOT required. I listed the top 5 schools for you in the MSW program that do NOT require the GRE. What do they know, though-right?

I mean...they are ONLY the TOP programs in the nation for MSW...huh? Because I am originally from PA, I felt the need to throw in some from PA and Syracuse University because I am living in the 'Cuse. Once again...NO GRE NEEDED.

I guess they can't POSSIBLY be accredited or respected...I mean, all the schools I listed (I couldn't list them all or I'd be on here all night) are JUST some of the BEST DAMN SCHOOLS in the NATION. What do they know? What do I know? I guess if an interested person has basic literacy skills, they could find the same information I've already known and pointed out. But, hey...What do I know? :rolleyes:

Washington University in St. Louis (ranked #1)
University of Michigan (ranked #2)
University of Chicago (ranked #3)
Columbia University (ranked #4)
University of Washington (ranked #5)

University of Pittsburgh (ranked #14)
NYU (ranked #22)-Does NOT mention the GRE exam
Indiana University (ranked #26)
Ohio State University (ranked #30)-GRE ONLY REQUIRED if less than a 3.0 GPA
Syracuse University (ranked #60)
WVU (ranked #82)-GRE ONLY REQUIRED if less than a 3.0 GPA

DrPhil 06-08-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by als463 (Post 1940767)
NYU (ranked #22)-Does NOT mention the GRE exam

They don't require it. Always check the FAQ. ;) The GRE (or MAT) is only required for the PhD in SW. http://www.nyu.edu/socialwork/faqs/

alum 06-08-2010 08:44 PM

Schools offering MA/MS/MBA programs at the Ed Centers on military bases usually do not require the GRE or GMAT especially if they are members of the Servicemembers Opportunity Council. SOC schools that deal with the undergraduate degrees on posts don't require the SAT.

The 3 graduate schools at my nearest installation's Ed Ctr are all SOC schools, all are AACSB-accredited, of course are all regionally accredited. None require standardized test scores. That being said, they are not Wharton or HBS.

libramunoz 06-08-2010 09:01 PM

However, what you are saying and implying is that Almost if not ALL MSW programs don't require one to take a GRE. That's simply NOT true.

My only point is and was that MANY of these schools do REQUIRE a GRE test score in order to attend.

DrPhil 06-08-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by libramunoz (Post 1940777)
However, what you are saying and implying is that Almost if not ALL MSW programs don't require one to take a GRE. That's simply NOT true.

My only point is and was that MANY of these schools do REQUIRE a GRE test score in order to attend.

Actually, your point was that ALMOST IF NOT ALL (emphasis yours) require the GRE. Both of you were incorrect in your exaggerations. :)

33girl 06-08-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belle_phoenix (Post 1940708)

Give it up and be a prostitute.

als463 06-09-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPhil (Post 1940778)
Actually, your point was that ALMOST IF NOT ALL (emphasis yours) require the GRE. Both of you were incorrect in your exaggerations. :)

Thank you for correcting that about NYU. I didn't feel like looking through all the FAQ sections of the various schools. Some of the programs didn't mention GRE scores but, their sites were particularly tough to navigate if you are not used to how their school does something (I'm talking to YOU Michigan State and Indiana).

I would say that I am not incorrect in my "exaggeration" because I gave her a list of schools that were top of the line and best in the field. I have always known that MSW programs generally do NOT expect or require GRE scores (some only if you have a horrible GPA).

As far as libramunoz...How does that humble pie taste considering you were wrong and then tried to back track so you didn't look like you were trying to be a complete dick who was off the mark when if fact you were?