GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Favorite memories from your active days (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=244468)

NYCMS 08-06-2018 07:22 PM

Favorite memories from your active days

Reading all the posts about rush beginning has brought back so many memories of my days as an active so thought I'd start a thread on some favorite memories. Here's just a few of mine:

1) Storming out of the house screaming our rush songs at the top of our lungs.

2) Candlelights! I don't know if a lot of girls get engaged (or pinned - do they even get pinned any more?) in college now, but it was so exciting when a candle, surrounded by flowers, arrived at our formal dinners and we'd sing our song and wait with anticipation for the pinned or engaged sister to blow out the candle.

3) My chapter house had a large fountain out front and at the end of the pref party, the active would walk the rushee - who had been given a carnation (our flower) at the door - to the fountain and tell them to make a wish and throw the flower in the fountain. It was such a special moment as a rushee and an active and from a visual perspective, it was beautiful.

4) Being a Rho Chi - gave me appreciation for every house on campus. Loved watching the process through the rushees' eyes. Enjoyed getting to know the Rho Chi's from other houses. (edited since I had forgotten it was RHO Chi and I had put Gamma Chi, LOL).

5) Doing silly things in groups. My college had a movie theater on campus and every December they showed the Olivia Hussey 'scary movie" called "Silent Night, Evil Night" which was about a sorority house whose members were being stalked - the guy got in through the basement. A crew of us went every year. We had a basement in our house where everyone stored their luggage. I remember many of us going down there together to get our bags after seeing that movie, LOL.

6) Lanz flannel nightgowns. For whatever reason, everyone wore them backwards (back of gown buttons worn in front).

7) My Bid Day. I preffed two great houses, would have been happy in either, but it was clear after the pref party which one was home. I remember opening my bid card in the Student Union and the thrill I felt learning that the house I wanted also wanted me.

There are so many more, of course. What are some of your favorites?

GreekOne 08-06-2018 09:12 PM

Candle lights were a big deal, as you said. We would love to see who got lavaliered, pinned or engaged. It seemed so incredibly romantic and glorious that we shared in the excitement of the event.

On my campus for Bid Day, we sat in our dorm rooms and the sororities came around cheering in groups to each door and knocked. You had no idea which chapter was coming for you. So, we watched out our window on the street below while all the chapters marched by chanting, eagerly anticipating the knock on our door that would seal our future.

I, too, was a Rho Chi (which is what we called our rush counselors). I loved that role. I also loved being "pledge Mom". So exciting to support the newest members in their path to sisterhood.

Our Homecoming was formal where we dressed up in suits and wore mums on our lapels, riding a float during the parade route. Planning and building the floats was a really big deal.

Our meetings were so much fun. We shared "sister seconds" where we would recap silly stuff others had done during the weekend. Everyone was laughing so hard that we all cried.

NYCMS 08-06-2018 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreekOne (Post 2458672)
I, too, was a Rho Chi (which is what we called our rush counselors). I loved that role. I also loved being "pledge Mom". So exciting to support the newest members in their path to sisterhood.

I think we were called Rho Chi's too now that I think about it since the RC translated to Rush Counselor. And we were called Pledge Mom and Pledge Daughter as well! Most schools I've known about used Big Sister / Little Sister (from where family/friends were Greek), hearing Mom/Daughter was new to me.

Edited to add: what a fun way to get your bid!

aephi alum 08-06-2018 10:52 PM

Candlelights for sure. It was fun watching and waiting to see who had gotten lavaliered, pinned, or engaged - especially when you realized someone had gotten engaged!

I, too, was a rho chi. It was a mixed bag. Since this thread is about favorite memories, I'll share just the positive side. I enjoyed watching my PNM group go through rush, and I loved seeing their eyes light up when they got their bids (PNMs got their invite lists and bids at one-on-one meetings with their PXs).

My favorite, though, has to be our after-pref IHOP runs. I only got to participate in two of them, of course (I was a PNM freshman year and a rho chi senior year). But it was a relief to know that rush was over and tomorrow we'd be welcoming our new members. And it was rather amusing watching all the heads turn when a bunch of women in black dresses, heels, updos, and full makeup walked into IHOP at midnight and took over a couple of tables and began wolfing down chocolate chip pancakes!