GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   UCSB Sorority Recrutiment-4 Chapters on Interium Suspension affecting recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=247938)

TLLK 09-20-2021 04:00 PM

UCSB Sorority Recrutiment-4 Chapters on Interium Suspension affecting recruitment
 
The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life has shared the following information about chapters that are currently on interim suspension. The four NPC chapters listed will not be able to participate in formal recruitment which begins today. The NPC chapters are Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Phi, Kappa Alpha Theta and Pi Beta Phi. In addition, Sigma Nu fraternity is also on the list. The remaining chapters considered to be in good standing and will participate: Alpha Delta Pi, Delta Gamma, Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Kappa Gamma. Phi Sigma Rho is the affiliate sorority which conducts its own recruitment.

https://osl.sa.ucsb.edu/fraternities...H0SLYFAfZ73Agw


Quote:

The following organizations are recognized, but the Dean of Student Life has placed them on an interim suspension status as a precaution in case allegations of behavioral misconduct prove to be true. This precaution is implemented on a case-by-case basis in order to limit further injury to community members and further liability to organization officers. Interim Suspension Status is not implemented as a punitive measure. Following the completion of an investigation, organizations will either be placed on Probation/Suspension Status (below) or returned to Recognized and In Good Standing Status (above).
The information that affects formal recruitment.

Quote:

Recognized fraternities and sororities are prohibited from engaging in organizational events (formal or informal, regardless of location) with organizations on interim suspension status.
I am the parent of a UCSB student who is not involved in Greek Life, but I am aware of this through the school's Facebook Parents' Forum. I am currently unaware of any details as to why the fraternity and the four NPC sororities were placed on interim suspension status. I feel badly for all who are affected by this decision, but it would appear that the allegations were of a nature that required this type of action and on the eve of formal recruitment. I am wondering how this will impact the number of PNMs who will choose to continue with recruitment knowing that four groups are not participating and who will receive bids.

33girl 09-20-2021 04:15 PM

I believe they can still rush informally. It’s a freedom of association issue if they are still considered recognized. It says recognized fraternities and sororities can’t associate with orgs on suspension - not that non-Greeks can’t.

But seeing as most chapters know about as much about informal rushing as they do operating a kerosene lamp, the point is probably moot.

PGD-GRAD 09-20-2021 06:11 PM

Wow…this must have shaken up the whole campus!

So does this mean quota will be HUGE for the remaining houses?

Titchou 09-20-2021 08:37 PM

Typically they are allowed to recruit but no other group events. Since it doesn't specifically mention recruitment, I'm wondering if we are jumping to conclusions.

AZTheta 09-20-2021 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2487037)
Typically they are allowed to recruit but no other group events. Since it doesn't specifically mention recruitment, I'm wondering if we are jumping to conclusions.

What my friend said. READ carefully - and remember that NPC has something to say about preventing chapters from recruiting. Sorry I can't pull up relevant documents at this time.

This is my campus and my Theta initiation chapter. No I don't have any inside information at this time.

ETA: getting all kinds of crazy messages about what's happening. Rumors, UGH. The timing is definitely horrible for the four chapters named.

TLLK 09-20-2021 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2487037)
Typically they are allowed to recruit but no other group events. Since it doesn't specifically mention recruitment, I'm wondering if we are jumping to conclusions.


Based upon what I'm reading on the parents' forum and what PNMs were told by their Rho Chis yesterday, the four NPC groups on interim suspension will not be participating in formal recruitment as of today.



AZTheta-Ugh is the right word to describe the situation. I feel badly for all involved. The members who have spent hours preparing as well as PNMs who were looking forward to recruitment. The timing is really awful.

Cookiez17 09-20-2021 11:46 PM

This is insane. Hopefully more comes out so we can get the full picture. I feel so bad for the actives and PNMs.

Titchou 09-21-2021 08:03 AM

From the NPC Green Book: Sanctions shall not:
• Forbid primary recruitment or continuous open bidding activities or the observance
of an inter/national sorority event such as an educational program, ritual ceremony or
historical celebration.
• Affect a sorority chapter’s quota or total.
• Affect the time of new member acceptance and/or initiation.
• Forbid the right of an NPC sorority to vote in College Panhellenic meetings

PGD-GRAD 09-21-2021 08:14 AM

I’m thinking of a few years ago when the Indiana University Chi Omega chapter got into trouble with both IU and their Hdqtrs. Their recruitment was stopped MID-WAY. They had to quit immediately and did not take a pledge class; the PNMs still rushing were allowed
to make new choices.

So it has been done…right or wrong.

Titchou 09-21-2021 08:30 AM

But didn't their national shut them down after this? National doing it is one thing - the U, another

PGD-GRAD 09-21-2021 09:47 AM

Tichou: Yes they did—good point!

But it still really upended recruitment for the whole campus. We had a friend whose granddaughter was going through as a 3 generation Chi O legacy; it threw her family into a turmoil. (She finished recruitment and did choose to pledge another house.)

FSUZeta 09-21-2021 10:34 AM

Thanks to those who pointed out that sanctions may not include school enforced rush restrictions-I thought I remembered that. Perhaps UCSB Greek Life office should read the Green Book, or the area NPC rep. should be in contact with UCSB.

ForeverRoses 09-21-2021 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2487053)
But didn't their national shut them down after this? National doing it is one thing - the U, another

Actually, no Chi Omega National did not shut down the chapter at IU. The chapter went through an internal review process and then the following fall held informal recruitment events where they took a fairly large group of sophomore and junior women to rebuild the chapter.

navane 09-21-2021 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 2487055)
Thanks to those who pointed out that sanctions may not include school enforced rush restrictions-I thought I remembered that. Perhaps UCSB Greek Life office should read the Green Book, or the area NPC rep. should be in contact with UCSB.

A university is under no obligation to abide by the wishes of an outside organization. If the university suspends a chapter(s) for what they believe is just cause, then I don't see what the NPC Green Book has to do with any of this.

oncegreek 09-21-2021 02:52 PM

UCSB has seen many chapters come and go over the years. I was Greek at UCSB in the early eighties, and at that time many girls would rush, but then drop out if they if they were not invited back to a select few houses that were regarded as highly desirable. This attitude, I think contributed to the closure of so many chapters. Off topic, sorry.... some chapters have "satellite houses" that seniors live in... I wonder if activities occurred in those spaces that led to these suspensions. I have never heard of any other campus having these.

ASTalumna06 09-21-2021 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navane (Post 2487059)
A university is under no obligation to abide by the wishes of an outside organization. If the university suspends a chapter(s) for what they believe is just cause, then I don't see what the NPC Green Book has to do with any of this.

This is what I was thinking, as well.

Is the Green Book referring to sanctions from a school or sanctions from an NPC sorority/college Panhellenic? I am admittedly not an expert on the Green Book.

Low D Flat 09-21-2021 03:00 PM

There are informal off-campus satellite houses at a number of other schools. Seniors pass the leases down. For example, I've heard of this at Washington & Lee.

Cookiez17 09-21-2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oncegreek (Post 2487060)
UCSB has seen many chapters come and go over the years. I was Greek at UCSB in the early eighties, and at that time many girls would rush, but then drop out if they if they were not invited back to a select few houses that were regarded as highly desirable. This attitude, I think contributed to the closure of so many chapters. Off topic, sorry.... some chapters have "satellite houses" that seniors live in... I wonder if activities occurred in those spaces that led to these suspensions. I have never heard of any other campus having these.

This might lead to the PNMs to be more open about where they end up rather than focusing on rank. Maybe someone was dead set on ABC and if ABC is out of recruitment she might rethink her choices.

But someone mentioned that COB/informal could occur if the investigation doesn't yield anything significant, so the houses can probably put together a NMC.

AZTheta 09-21-2021 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cookiez17 (Post 2487063)
This might lead to the PNMs to be more open about where they end up rather than focusing on rank. Maybe someone was dead set on ABC and if ABC is out of recruitment she might rethink her choices.

But someone mentioned that COB/informal could occur if the investigation doesn't yield anything significant, so the houses can probably put together a NMC.

No. No. No. Sigh. No.

oncegreek, TLLK & I are very familiar with UCSB & we have had private convos about the greek system there. Their opinions are valid. I happen to agree with them.

And I've had convos w/ AZ-Alpha Xi about what my other Panhellenic sisters here have shared vis-a-vis the Green Book and this situation.

Again UGH UGH UGH.

oncegreek 09-21-2021 05:19 PM

Az Theta is right. Greek life is not as popular as it is at say, USC, or even UCLA. Girls would rather not join if they are not invited to their perceived favorite houses.

dukedg 09-21-2021 06:16 PM

I'm the Regional Collegiate Recruitment Specialist for DG in California and this whole situation has been chaotic from the onset on Sunday morning. My understanding is that none of this is going through Panhel in anyway and is all coming from the University admin directly to the groups. The numbers of PNMs didn't decline as much as we expected after news of this got out so we shall see if we end up dividing all the PNMs over the four remaining orgs.

The University told us (originally when only three orgs were involved) that it would take most of the quarter for them to complete their investigations since they are understaffed in that office?!?

TLLK 09-21-2021 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukedg (Post 2487068)
I'm the Regional Collegiate Recruitment Specialist for DG in California and this whole situation has been chaotic from the onset on Sunday morning. My understanding is that none of this is going through Panhel in anyway and is all coming from the University admin directly to the groups. The numbers of PNMs didn't decline as much as we expected after news of this got out so we shall see if we end up dividing all the PNMs over the four remaining orgs.

The University told us (originally when only three orgs were involved) that it would take most of the quarter for them to complete their investigations since they are understaffed in that office?!?


Hi dukedg-First of all thank you for all of the work that you do for the Region especially during this very busy time of the year. :)

Thank you for sharing the information that you have heard in regards to the very unfortunate situation at UCSB.



Glad to hear that the number of PNMs didn't decline as much as it was expected.

TLLK 09-21-2021 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oncegreek (Post 2487060)
UCSB has seen many chapters come and go over the years. I was Greek at UCSB in the early eighties, and at that time many girls would rush, but then drop out if they if they were not invited back to a select few houses that were regarded as highly desirable. This attitude, I think contributed to the closure of so many chapters. Off topic, sorry.... some chapters have "satellite houses" that seniors live in... I wonder if activities occurred in those spaces that led to these suspensions. I have never heard of any other campus having these.


Yes I understand that the "satellite houses" are still ongoing in 2021. Considering the housing crisis that the university has had and is currently experiencing, these types of houses are still needed.

Cheerio 09-21-2021 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukedg (Post 2487068)
I'm the Regional Collegiate Recruitment Specialist for DG in California and this whole situation has been chaotic from the onset on Sunday morning. My understanding is that none of this is going through Panhel in anyway and is all coming from the University admin directly to the groups. The numbers of PNMs didn't decline as much as we expected after news of this got out so we shall see if we end up dividing all the PNMs over the four remaining orgs.

The University told us (originally when only three orgs were involved) that it would take most of the quarter for them to complete their investigations since they are understaffed in that office?!?

How grueling to suddenly have much larger PNM groups coming thru recruitment, due to half the houses no longer recruiting.

33girl 09-22-2021 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navane (Post 2487059)
A university is under no obligation to abide by the wishes of an outside organization. If the university suspends a chapter(s) for what they believe is just cause, then I don't see what the NPC Green Book has to do with any of this.

Again, it is a freedom of association issue. Our Alpha chapter sued over something like this and it was determined they were allowed to recruit informally.

If they don’t want to back up the NPC rules, then they need to derecognize that college’s chapter of Panhellenic.

And this is an interim suspension, not something meant to stick.

honeychile 09-22-2021 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2487050)
From the NPC Green Book: Sanctions shall not:
• Forbid primary recruitment or continuous open bidding activities or the observance
of an inter/national sorority event such as an educational program, ritual ceremony or
historical celebration.
• Affect a sorority chapter’s quota or total.
• Affect the time of new member acceptance and/or initiation.
• Forbid the right of an NPC sorority to vote in College Panhellenic meetings

This is how I remembered it as well.

TLLK 09-23-2021 09:52 PM

Article in the University newspaper.


https://dailynexus.com/2021-09-23/fo...g-allegations/


Quote:

According to UCSB spokesperson Andrea Estrada, “multiple Greek organization houses were placed on suspension recently in connection with allegations related to hazing.” Estrada did not specify the specific nature of the alleged hazing.
“Issuing an interim suspension is the campus’s protocol when hazing allegations meet the threshold of a charge against the Student Conduct Code. It is done as a precautionary, protective measure while the investigation and adjudication process takes place,” Estrada said in a statement to the Nexus.
UCSB Panhellenic President Sophia Lake declined to comment on the hazing allegations against the four sororities.


PGD-GRAD 09-25-2021 08:30 PM

I think I read that UCSB’s recruitment ended sometime this weekend—not sure when BID DAY is.
Does anybody know how many girls had originally signed for recruitment, stayed in and then pledged one of the FOUR eligible groups?

Cookiez17 09-25-2021 11:02 PM

Bid day was today actually. I only caught a glimpse of Delta Gamma's pledge class on instagram and it looked pretty big.

NYCMS 09-26-2021 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cookiez17 (Post 2487141)
Bid day was today actually. I only caught a glimpse of Delta Gamma's pledge class on instagram and it looked pretty big.

Cookiez17, can you clarify where you saw that? I looked at DG's UCSB's Insta page and saw nothing - only a picture from a day or two ago of two sisters. I also checked out Gamma Phi's UCSB Instagram page (they also participated in rush) and no Bid Day pics either.

I'm thinking maybe you saw this on Facebook? Curious to see, thanks.

Cookiez17 09-26-2021 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCMS (Post 2487146)
Cookiez17, can you clarify where you saw that? I looked at DG's UCSB's Insta page and saw nothing - only a picture from a day or two ago of two sisters. I also checked out Gamma Phi's UCSB Instagram page (they also participated in rush) and no Bid Day pics either.

I'm thinking maybe you saw this on Facebook? Curious to see, thanks.

This was on their instagram story, as they had posted several videos of their new pledge class.

TLLK 09-26-2021 08:34 PM

Just saw on Facebook that quota was 72 for this year.
Delta Gamma took 75 new members.



Congrats to all of the new members who found a sisterhood with the UCSB Panhellenic sororities.

TLLK 11-13-2021 11:03 AM

Here are the updates for three of the NPC sororities at UCSB.
https://osl.sa.ucsb.edu/fraternities...-status-report



Alpha Chi Omega, Kappa Alpha Theta and Pi Beta Phi are on social probation until December 10, 2021 which is the end of the fall quarter.
Quote:

PROBATION OR SUSPENSION STATUS (SANCTION)
The following organizations are recognized, but the Dean of Student Life has sanctioned them with a temporary change in status, which includes loss of privileges and/or additional requirements, as a result violating University policies that apply to recognized social fraternities and sororities. Activities may be permitted for organizations on a probation status; see the terms of the specific sanction listed.

  • Alpha Chi Omega Sorority on probation status with loss of social privileges until December 10, 2021
  • Kappa Alpha Theta Sorority on probation status with loss of social privileges until December 10, 2021
  • Pi Beta Phi Sorority on probation status with loss of social privileges until December 10, 2021


Alpha Phi remains on interim suspension.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.