GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Leaving a fraternity to join another (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=113265)

shadow267 04-30-2010 08:24 PM

Leaving a fraternity to join another

Hey, I'm looking for help for a friend of mine. I don't really know how fraternities work and found this site looking for information. My friend joined a fraternity, however after rethinking things and a fraternity coming back on campus he decided he wants to change but isn't sure how or if its possible. I know I've heard that once your join your stuck for life and can't join another but is it different if he wants to leave an NIC fraternity to join a black fraternity (NPHC). Or are all the rules universal.

ree-Xi 04-30-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow267 (Post 1923595)
Hey, I'm looking for help for a friend of mine. I don't really know how fraternities work and found this site looking for information. My friend joined a fraternity, however after rethinking things and a fraternity coming back on campus he decided he wants to change but isn't sure how or if its possible. I know I've heard that once your join your stuck for life and can't join another but is it different if he wants to leave an NIC fraternity to join a black fraternity (NPHC). Or are all the rules universal.

Tell your "friend" he's "stuck for life".

BTW, for not knowing "how fraternities work," you know a lot about the different councils.

ThetaPrincess24 04-30-2010 08:44 PM

I think he is his "friend."

KSUViolet06 04-30-2010 08:47 PM

LOL @ not knowing anything about fraternities but knowing the appropriate abbreviation for a major council--or really knowing that there are councils PERIOD. My non-Greek friends (with zero interest in Greek pursuits) don't know that.

Psi U MC Vito 04-30-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow267 (Post 1923595)

News flash for you. 4 of the 5 NPHC fraternities are also NIC.

shadow267 04-30-2010 09:02 PM

Well, I'll tell him that then, and I know the terms cause he explained to me the situation and wanted me to help look for an answer to it. Thanks for the help though, unless anyone knows anything else.

Titchou 04-30-2010 10:38 PM

I know 2 men who are members of an NPHC group and an NIC group. It can happen but he'd have to check with the particular groups to find out if they do. (And yes I know which groups my friends are in but I'm not going to post them here.)

knight_shadow 04-30-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 1923631)
I know 2 men who are members of an NPHC group and an NIC group. It can happen but he'd have to check with the particular groups to find out if they do. (And yes I know which groups my friends are in but I'm not going to post them here.)

:confused:

At the same time?

Psi U MC Vito 04-30-2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 1923631)

Is the NPHC group Omega Psi Phi?

ree-Xi 04-30-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow267 (Post 1923606)
Well, I'll tell him that then, and I know the terms cause he explained to me the situation and wanted me to help look for an answer to it. Thanks for the help though, unless anyone knows anything else.

Lol @ perpetuating the "friend" story. Cuz, like, he can't come here himself to ask the question.

Titchou 05-01-2010 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito (Post 1923635)
Is the NPHC group Omega Psi Phi?

I said I wouldn't post them here. I wouldn't do that without asking permission and there really isnt any point as the OP didn't name the groups. And maybe in his area of the country it isn't as common as in others. I'm a member of an NPC group so I don't want to talk about things I know little about. But I will say that the NPHC group and the NIC group are both better known ones.

Psi U MC Vito 05-01-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 1923691)
I said I wouldn't post them here. I wouldn't do that without asking permission and there really isnt any point as the OP didn't name the groups. And maybe in his area of the country it isn't as common as in others. I'm a member of an NPC group so I don't want to talk about things I know little about. But I will say that the NPHC group and the NIC group are both better known ones.

If it isn't Omega, then a big no no is involved. That was why I asked. They are the ONLY NPHC that is not NIC as well.

Titchou 05-01-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito (Post 1923696)
If it isn't Omega, then a big no no is involved. That was why I asked. They are the ONLY NPHC that is not NIC as well.

Just wondering, what about folks who were Alpha's and "XXX's" before they joined NIC? Did they have to give up one membership or the other?

Psi U MC Vito 05-01-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 1923711)
Just wondering, what about folks who were Alpha's and "XXX's" before they joined NIC? Did they have to give up one membership or the other?

That's actually a very good question that I have no idea the answer to. Though of course it doesn't matter for the OP, but that is something I want to find out now lol.

ETA: Though thinking on it now, I wouldn't see somebody being force to forsake their oaths because of something out of their control. So yes I can see that working.

Titchou 05-01-2010 10:52 AM

True, I wouldn't think they would make someone do that. Just sort of curious about the whole thing, though. Does this mean you're going to research it and let me know???(LOL!)