GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Miss America 2019 (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=243562)

APhi4Ever 09-09-2018 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celebcj (Post 2457839)
Miss Nevada is an Alpha Phi from USD (San Diego), who later transferred to UNLV, not sure if she re-affiliated.

We do not have a chapter at UNLV.

Sciencewoman 09-09-2018 10:24 PM

I'm liking the Irish dancing!

Does anyone have a favorite? There are no Gamma Phis and Miss Michigan is out, so I have no irons in the fire.

thetalady 09-09-2018 10:48 PM

"I don't have the luxury of walking away from my child...." so fathers should raise their own kids. Sorry I can't remember the entire statement. My brain froze after the "luxury" part.

Oh my, not a winning answer.

unarose 09-09-2018 10:54 PM

Miss New York was flipping fantastic singing “Quando m’en vo”

Sister Havana 09-09-2018 10:56 PM

I'm DVRing but it sounds like they finally got rid of the way they'd call the finalist's name and that person had to do their talent right away. GOOD.

unarose 09-09-2018 10:56 PM

4th - Massachusetts
3rd - Florida
2nd - Louisiana
1st - Connecticut
Miss America 2019 - New York!

unarose 09-09-2018 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sister Havana (Post 2460323)
I'm DVRing but it sounds like they finally got rid of the way they'd call the finalist's name and that person had to do their talent right away. GOOD.

Yes, Iím glad they didnít do that, also. I started watching right near the beginning of Talent, so I missed most of the new stuff. Hope I can find a way to watch it later (maybe itíll be on the ABC app, which usually only requires a provider to watch live stuff) so I can see how they actually did it.

Sciencewoman 09-09-2018 11:06 PM

Not such a great year for Greek women, but the two finalists were both amazing, in talent and in their question responses.

AGDee 09-10-2018 07:27 PM

And that Alpha Gam from Michigan sure has her name out there :). How I love those Alpha Gams!! Our water situation is getting worse and a lot of it hasn't been on national news yet!

Cheerio 09-11-2018 06:22 PM

Not a big fan of the editorializing by co-hostess Carrie Ann Inaba after some contestants (not all) made their presentations/answered their questions. Hope her comments weren't swaying the judges.

Also not a fan of generally calling contestants by the name of their state (Louisiana, please ask Massachusetts her question...). At least SOME of the contestants called one another by their given first names during the first question competition.

Does anyone here think pageant bigwigs will eventually do away with a competition involving one contestant from each state, instead opening-up the process to a group of thirty to fifty specifically-chosen women from anywhere in the USA? Nothing against Miss Vermont, but she's never been a final ten contestant (nor final fifteen, nor twenty) and there are nearly twenty states that have never won the competition.

Other than that, I continue to enjoy the Miss America tradition and look forward to their 100th anniversary in a few years.

Titchou 09-11-2018 09:53 PM

The state pageants are licensed by Miss America....and they have to drum up their own scholarship donors, etc. so am not sure how an open competition would work...probably too much control by HQ

ChioLu 09-11-2018 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGDee (Post 2460372)
And that Alpha Gam from Michigan sure has her name out there :). How I love those Alpha Gams!! Our water situation is getting worse and a lot of it hasn't been on national news yet!

She was on ďAll In with Chris HayesĒ on msnbc tonight and did a fantastic interview.

UVASquirrel 09-12-2018 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGDee (Post 2460372)

She was amazing!! I saw an online article about her intro going viral on Monday...I think it was People. The people who commented on it were all outraged that she didn't make the top 15! And, our Miss Arkansas won some "Quality of Life" award...not sure what that's for. :-)