GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   2007 UGA Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=89398)

hollywin 08-15-2007 10:15 PM

another girl lost in the shuffle

My daughter went through rush this week and eventually dropped out. I too got the dreaded late night phone call from my sorority that they had released my daughter. The thing that was very disheartening was that my daughter was a 4 time legacy at this house with 3 of them being from the UGA chapter. I think my parents paid for half the house in 4 years of dues for 3 girl's !! She had recs at many houses. What I think happened was that we are from out of state and she did not really know anyone in a sorority. My daughter is a pretty, intelligent and loving girl. I am not sure how she could have done better when she only spent a total of 30 minutes at each house. I also believe that the houses where she had recs saw that she was a quadruple XYZ legacy and cut her because they assumed she would pledge XYZ. It has been the hardest thing for her. I am not sure of any other situation where 18 year old girls are rejected by so many groups of girls. She did put in for open bid and I am praying she will get one.

GPhiBLtColonel 08-15-2007 10:44 PM

Prefs at UGA

I went up to Athens to help with prefs at my Gamma Phi Beta chapter and was shocked to discover that each pref party had 70-75 girls attending!:eek:
I figure quota may be in the high 60's!:eek:
On a personal note, I was thrilled to find out that at least 4 of the 14 girls I wrote recs for preffed Gamma Phi! :p yay!

psp10085 08-15-2007 11:00 PM

I am new to this. Please help!! My daughter only picked 2 of the 3 she visited today for prefs. Does that mean she now can't go through winter recruitment if neither gives her a bid? To top it off, she didn't have recs for any of them. I was clueless....now I am really nervous.

P.S. She does know several girls at her top pick and they all assured her that she was "in". Is that "what they all say"? Can they get a rec on her if they really want her?

Oh this will be a fun, sleepless night (eye roll)

Thanks for helping

Titchou 08-15-2007 11:01 PM

Quota is 55....

Titchou 08-15-2007 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psp10085 (Post 1503032)
I am new to this. Please help!! My daughter only picked 2 of the 3 she visited today for prefs. Does that mean she now can't go through winter recruitment if neither gives her a bid? To top it off, she didn't have recs for any of them. I was clueless....now I am really nervous.

P.S. She does know several girls at her top pick and they all assured her that she was "in". Is that "what they all say"? Can they get a rec on her if they really want her?

Thanks for helping

If she doesn't get a bid, she can do COR (continuous open recruitment) now or wait for winter recruitment. If she gets a bid from either and doesn't accept it, she has to sit out a year till next August.

hollywin 08-15-2007 11:08 PM

I think we all need to find out what they mean by Spring Rush. If most of the sororities make their quota , then what would be the need for them to do a rush in the spring.

notmanhattan 08-15-2007 11:09 PM

no, quota is 52.

melongirl 08-15-2007 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywin (Post 1503039)
I think we all need to find out what they mean by Spring Rush. If most of the sororities make their quota , then what would be the need for them to do a rush in the spring.

Very good question.

There is fall rush quota. And there is house total.

Only the sororities that are still below house total participate in Spring Rush at UGA. (its only participated in by a couple houses at the most, if ever)

kathykd2005 08-15-2007 11:29 PM

Quote:

P.S. She does know several girls at her top pick and they all assured her that she was "in". Is that "what they all say"? Can they get a rec on her if they really want her

They shouldn't be saying she is "in" at all, because they don't really know what will happen--at most schools, this is considered a recruitment infraction, and the chapter could be fined for this. If, however, one lady simply said, "I could see you here," then that's a little bit different. Any time a house guarantees that someone is "in," I would be a bit wary. To answer your question, that is NOT "what they all say," it's what should never be said to a PNM during recruitment.

GPhiBLtColonel 08-15-2007 11:31 PM

Quote:

Thanks for helping

The girls should NOT be saying your daughter is in.....:( the girls who told her that are not the only ones voting. How would your daughter feel if she did not get in after being told that she was in?

kathykd2005 08-15-2007 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPhiBLtColonel (Post 1503055)
The girls should NOT be saying your daughter is in.....:( the girls who told her that are not the only ones voting. How would your daughter feel if she did not get in after being told that she was in?

I'm SO glad someone else noticed this!!!

cluelessUGAmom 08-15-2007 11:41 PM

OMG

Quote:

Originally Posted by notmanhattan (Post 1503040)
no, quota is 52.

So 1/3 of the girls attending a pref will have to be eliminated from being offered a bid?

I guess I'm still confused on this process tomorrow or tonight.

PNM puts
#1 as A
#2 as B
#3 as C

"A" has PNM on list as #53 with quota at 53
B has PNM on list as 54
C has PNM on list as 20 (or anything above 52)

Does PNM automatically get the bid for C that she listed as #3 and if she doesn't accept cannot go into COB hoping for her # 1 or # 2 or snap?

hollywin 08-16-2007 12:04 AM

snap ??

You would think from being a UGA soority alum I would know this..please someone explain "snap"

dgdramadawg 08-16-2007 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywin (Post 1503073)
You would think from being a UGA soority alum I would know this..please someone explain "snap"

A sorority that does not make quota can "snap" bid girls the morning of bid day. These can be girls who mismatched or girls who were released earlier in the process. The girls who are "snapped" join the pledge class on bid day night as though they got their bids with everyone else, as opposed to getting a COB later in the semester. Chapters can also "snap" to total if they are under total.

Example: If quota is 52 and your chapter only gets 50, you can call a few girls on the morning of bid day to "snap" your pledge class up to quota.

Buttonz 08-16-2007 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluelessUGAmom (Post 1503061)
So 1/3 of the girls attending a pref will have to be eliminated from being offered a bid?

I guess I'm still confused on this process tomorrow or tonight.

PNM puts
#1 as A
#2 as B
#3 as C

"A" has PNM on list as #53 with quota at 53
B has PNM on list as 54
C has PNM on list as 20 (or anything above 52)

Does PNM automatically get the bid for C that she listed as #3 and if she doesn't accept cannot go into COB hoping for her # 1 or # 2 or snap?

I could be wrong but I think in this situation she would match with A because A has PNM on their A list and A is ranked first on PNM list. If A had her listed as 54 (or later) then I'm not sure.

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?