PDA

View Full Version : FSU Fraternities

britbit08
07-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Hello guys,

My brother is going to rush at FSU as a freshman this year and I was wondering how it was structured. Do guys who attend summer parties have a better chance of getting a bid from a certain fraternity?

Thanks!
Brit.

FSUZeta
07-09-2008, 05:34 PM
we have a couple of guys from fsu who post frequently. hopefully they will see your post and answer your questions. good luck to your brother!

Benzgirl
07-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Fratty, where are you?

PANTHERTEKE
07-10-2008, 01:44 AM
Hello guys,

My brother is going to rush at FSU as a freshman this year and I was wondering how it was structured. Do guys who attend summer parties have a better chance of getting a bid from a certain fraternity?

Thanks!
Brit.

Yeah, this applies to any school.

CrackerBarrel
07-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Yeah, this applies to any school.

Not so much. You can also attend a summer party and convince everyone that you're a douche and lose a bid you may have otherwise gotten.

And I think FSU does an informal rush week where you just visit the houses you're interested in, if they like you you'll get invited to the actual parties that IFC says they aren't supposed to be having and get a bid at some point.

PhiGam
07-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Fratty, where are you?
Summer rush parties are not necessary but attending them does greatly increase a rushee's chance of getting a bid. It's just a chance for the brothers to meet potential rushees and size them up while rushing them at the same time.
For example, we have one coming up on Saturday. The goal is to a) make sure the rushees have a great time and b) make sure that the rushees can handle themselves in a social environment.

FlaGirl07
07-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Summer rush parties are not necessary but attending them does greatly increase a rushee's chance of getting a bid. It's just a chance for the brothers to meet potential rushees and size them up while rushing them at the same time.
For example, we have one coming up on Saturday. The goal is to a) make sure the rushees have a great time and b) make sure that the rushees can handle themselves in a social environment.

I imagine I'll be running into you Saturday.

ree-Xi
07-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Sort of a hijack, but I was wondering how guys who live way out of the area fare in terms of rushing. Since they aren't close, don't attend one of the more local HS, don't know anyone and probably not privy to how things work at a school say, in FL or in the SEC, they probably have no idea that summer rush parties exist unless they are hyper vigilent about the Greek system and research it.

Is that the very point, that out of staters are at a measurable disadvantage (I heard this is the case in many southern sorority chapters) due to not personally knowing anyone or the system? They would have to do their due diligence to figure this out, make some sort of connection, and/or be a super prospective new member come fall. Perhaps in working that hard to research the process for out-of-staters might put them on equal footing with those who are local (given that these guys are on similar footing acedemically, socially, etc.).

I have no personal connection to any of these schools or people, I am just wondering how low the chances are that someone not familiar with the practices down there have to be selected by a Fraternity.

Niedermeyer
07-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Here's the reality about fraternity rush.

Interestingly, I have found many opinions on it by folks on this board to be a bit of a stretch. Especially posts from those living in the south.

Greeks can't be as selective as many claim simply because there are not that many "super cool" kids to go around. Every house has a few "birds". I was in a top tier house, at a top tier university with a top tier greek system. Ironically, some of the "birds" in my house turned out to be my best friends. This reality applies to every school in the country. South, North, East and West.

If you are a normal looking, non-obnoxious and outgoing kid who has been popular through Junior high and High school, you going to be sought after by most fraternities on most campus.

There is no science to this. It's pretty simple stuff....

PhiGam
07-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Awesome, I'll probably be rolling in to the party around 11-12.

PhiGam
07-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Here's the reality about fraternity rush.

Interestingly, I have found many opinions on it by folks on this board to be a bit of a stretch. Especially posts from those living in the south.

Greeks can't be as selective as many claim simply because there are not that many "super cool" kids to go around. Every house has a few "birds". I was in a top tier house, at a top tier university with a top tier greek system. Ironically, some of the "birds" in my house turned out to be my best friends. This reality applies to every school in the country. South, North, East and West.

If you are a normal looking, non-obnoxious and outgoing kid who has been popular through Junior high and High school, you going to be sought after by most fraternities on most campus.

There is no science to this. It's pretty simple stuff....
Are you the founder of FH?

FSUfiji
07-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Hello guys,

Thanks!
Brit.

Just like my brother PhiGam said, summer rush parties are a very good way to get a foot in the door early. I am a perfect example because my first summer here(2 summers ago) i went to numerous summer fraternity parties (sigma chi, tke, LXA, TEP, and FIJI of course) and i got a feel for what i wanted and who i felt comfortable with (and i got my bid in the summer) so when fall rush came around i knew where i wanted to go and a good amount of guys were already comfortable with me.

I know many other guys who have done the same thing and are a part of greek as well.

LIke our party we're throwing on saturday is a chance for the freshmen and potential rushees to get a feel for us. overall i would suggest your brother attending summer rush parties, it will on ly help him in the long run.

FSUfiji
07-10-2008, 01:45 PM

You should def. go! Do you know any of our brothers?

FlaGirl07
07-10-2008, 02:02 PM
You should def. go! Do you know any of our brothers?

Only a couple. I know Mitch from home, and met Chris the other night at Ken's. You guys did a smart thing having your party on Saturday night, because at least 4 -5 are having theirs Friday night.

FSUfiji
07-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Only a couple. I know Mitch from home, and met Chris the other night at Ken's. You guys did a smart thing having your party on Saturday night, because at least 4 -5 are having theirs Friday night.

Oh ok cool. Yea it was supposed to be friday, but i got it changed to saturday that way we'll have a bigger turn out than we would on friday. It should be awesome as usual 8-)

FlaGirl07
07-10-2008, 02:15 PM
I imagine so. Those freshman are eating up all those facebook invites to fraternity parties.

Niedermeyer
07-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Are you the founder of FH?
__________________________________________________ _______________

Nope. My national is very large and was founded before 1850.

And by the way, Phi Gamma Delta was not in the top or middle tier at my university. They have since folded and are no longer on campus.....

CrackerBarrel
07-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Nope. My national is very large and was founded before 1850.

And by the way, Phi Gamma Delta was not in the top or middle tier at my university. They have since folded and are no longer on campus.....

Not what he was asking, FH isn't a fraternity. And there doesn't seem to be a lot of in between with Phi Gam, they are either great or awful it seems like.

nate2512
07-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Not what he was asking, FH isn't a fraternity. And there doesn't seem to be a lot of in between with Phi Gam, they are either great or awful it seems like.

Something tells me he knew that. There is no way the name came about coincidentally.

UGAalum94
07-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Something tells me he knew that. There is no way the name came about coincidentally.

But there's an Animal House connection too which dials up the likelihood of that name.

ETA: which is not to say it's not the same guy, who knows.

Anyway, I'm not sure that his comments apply as generally as he thinks. I think he greatly underestimates the hometown feeder systems at some chapters. I'm not saying it's impossible to for a normal person who knows no one to get a bid at a good group; I'm just saying that it's not a myth that chances are small at some chapters, especially in the south with guys' rush.

I don't have any idea what the story is in Tallahassee.

nate2512
07-10-2008, 09:57 PM
But there's an Animal House connection too which dials up the likelihood of that name.

ETA: which is not to say it's not the same guy, who knows.

Anyway, I'm not sure that his comments apply as generally as he thinks. I think he greatly underestimates the hometown feeder systems at some chapters. I'm not saying it's impossible to for a normal person who knows no one to get a bid at a good group; I'm just saying that it's not a myth that chances are small at some chapters, especially in the south with guys' rush.

I don't have any idea what the story is in Tallahassee.

That totally slipped my mind.

banditone
07-10-2008, 10:26 PM
p1cker?

CrackerBarrel
07-11-2008, 12:10 AM
p1cker?

Nah, he'd have way more smites.

PhiGam
07-11-2008, 01:30 AM
He did leave me a drunken voicemail the other night about wanting to fight me.

Elephant Walk
07-11-2008, 11:33 AM
He did leave me a drunken voicemail the other night about wanting to fight me.

Wait...the very same guy who drives a Le Sabre, right?

nate2512
07-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Wait...the very same guy who drives a Le Sabre, right?

wtf?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1e/Buick_LeSabre_coupe.jpg/800px-Buick_LeSabre_coupe.jpg?

CrackerBarrel
07-11-2008, 01:04 PM
wtf?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1e/Buick_LeSabre_coupe.jpg/800px-Buick_LeSabre_coupe.jpg?

Everyone knows Picker's LeSabre is THE frat mobile.

33girl
07-11-2008, 01:55 PM
I just want to add that the JC Penney van in the background adds to the classy look.

Elephant Walk
07-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Everyone knows Picker's LeSabre is THE frat mobile.

I'm pretty sure Picker's LeSabre is a bit nicer than that...didn't someone post a few pictures of it a couple years ago?

Anyways, I can't believe he said he was gonna beat you up, PhiGam. What a ridiculous character.

PhiGam
07-13-2008, 12:42 PM
I imagine I'll be running into you Saturday.I don't think I ran into you but how sick was that party?

PhiGam
07-13-2008, 12:43 PM
I'm pretty sure Picker's LeSabre is a bit nicer than that...didn't someone post a few pictures of it a couple years ago?

Anyways, I can't believe he said he was gonna beat you up, PhiGam. What a ridiculous character.
It's an ongoing joke, I've said the same shit to him lol. We're paired with them for homecoming this year so that'll be interesting.

Elephant Walk
07-13-2008, 02:04 PM
It's an ongoing joke, I've said the same shit to him lol. We're paired with them for homecoming this year so that'll be interesting.

Gotcha.

Picker puts up with a lot.

FlaGirl07
07-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Yeah...I didn't quite make it over there last night. Heard that the grove was pretty intense this past weekend though!

FSUfiji
07-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Yeah...I didn't quite make it over there last night. Heard that the grove was pretty intense this past weekend though!

haha you have no idea!!

PhiGam
07-14-2008, 03:37 AM
Gun pulled at TKE
Cops at Theta Chi
An LXA beating the hell out of a Phi Delt
A near brawl between LXA and Pike
500+ people at Fiji last night

Not bad

P.S. Mitch said you're attractive. We'll be having a band party in a few weeks, be there.

FlaGirl07
07-14-2008, 11:05 PM
Sounds like if I venture into the Grove I'll either get a) Shot, b) Beaten up, c) Arrested, or d) all of the above.

I'll see what I can do, just shoot me an invite when it gets closer.

FSUfiji
07-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Sounds like if I venture into the Grove I'll either get a) Shot, b) Beaten up, c) Arrested, or d) all of the above.

haha thats hilarious. rumors are soo crazy and get spread out so quick lol

-the dude at tke only had a bb gun
-i say just let the pikes, phi delts, and lamba chis keep fighting each other while we just keep throwing monster parties
-the rumor about the young girl getting the dui and leaving from fiji is proven FALSE via fsupd

but i can assure you that if you come to h grove in two weekends you will have e) fun lol

PhiGam
07-15-2008, 11:34 AM

Just depends where you are in the grove

PANTHERTEKE
07-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Lol wow.. Never knew FSU could be so eventful.

So what is "the Grove" exactly? There's a spot in Miami (Coral Gables) that's referred to as the Grove but it's mostly bars and a few nightclubs. Mostly it's UM people that go there.

CrackerBarrel
07-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Heritage Grove is a big area of (primarily) fraternity housing at FSU.