PDA

View Full Version : Interest Groups/Colonies/Chapters

Asia2000
08-12-2000, 10:41 PM
Interesting. I think this forum might just be for me, according to your description. According to the description hung on the door (i.e. the link to this one) it's not. The organization I am trying to affiliate with is already an established National, albeit a new one. However, we are working to bring a chapter to our school.

ZChi4Life
08-12-2000, 11:55 PM
Asia,
I'm not sure what you mean but this whole forum is for organizations that are national (not just located in one state) but aren't as big as other well established national orgs (like in the NPC, IFC, NPHC, etc). For instance, my org has 5 chapters (in different states) and 3 colonies. We're trying to establish ourselves like other sororities in the NPC are. So, this particular thread goes along w/ that. Since our orgs are young, we tend to deal w/ starting chapters, colonies, interests more often than those orgs that have been around longer. Not that they don't do this or anything. It's just as a newer org, we are in the practice of this more. Does the title of the forum make more sense now? http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ZChi4Life (edited August 12, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by ZChi4Life (edited August 13, 2000).]

ZChi4Life
08-13-2000, 12:15 AM
Beginning a new org on campus of a national org can be fun, exciting, and a lot of hard work! During this time, a group usually has to go through a lot of phases in order to achieve the ultimate goal of chapter status.

If you're trying to get a new org started, but don't know about all the steps, this thread is for you to post your questions and concerns. It is also for those who are involved in the process who may have questions, comments, and/or complaints about the stages they are in.

------------------
A Radiant Lady of
Zeta Sigma Chi Multicultural Sorority, Inc.
http://www.umich.edu/~zchi

Asia2000
08-13-2000, 04:48 PM
Well, then, I guess I'll just put my feet up and consider myself home!! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif

Thanks for starting this forum!! Let's hope we can generate some good discussion here!

ZChi4Life
08-13-2000, 05:23 PM
Great! Welcome home http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif Hey Asia, what stage are you in as far as your process of getting a chapter? IG or Colony? It's interesting cuz in my research of new sororities, there are some orgs that have a stage known as "associate chapter". It's kinda like a step above the colony stage. It's really interesting how some orgs operate.

Dewgirl
08-14-2000, 09:18 AM
Yay! I'm happy to see this new forum! Although I haven't begun yet, I'm hoping to join a group of girls interested in chartering a new chapter of a Panhellenic sorority. Looks like I'm home, too! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

Asia2000
08-16-2000, 01:11 AM
we are lowly IGs. Then there is a colony stage, then associate chapter, then full fledged chapter

equeen
08-16-2000, 10:12 AM
I'm so glad to see everyone here! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif Asia, I'm curious about the IG-Colony-Associate-Chapter-Chapter progression...how are the requirements for Associate Chapterhood different from being a Colony, or from being a full Chapter?

Here's what I know about the differing levels of a new group's membership:

Interest Group: a small group of people express formal interest in beginning a Chapter. They achieve a set of goals associated with establishing a new organization on campus, as well as learning about and publicizing the new organization, and growing in size.

Colony: a larger group, working specifically toward the goals of operating as a full Chapter. Major projects such as rush, philanthropy, publicity campaigns, and new member education are set up, as are basic business procedures for the newly formed group. The group continues to learn about the goals and ideals of the organization, and begin to bond.

Chapter: the group has satisfied the National Organization that they have the ability prosper as a Chapter, both at the business and sisterly/brotherly level. The group (and the individual members) have full rights of membership.

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies (http://www.alpha-sigma-kappa.org)

BFulton
08-16-2000, 10:37 AM
This is interesting!

For our sorority, the stages are what equeen outlines, except we don't use the term "colony." Our term for that stage is Sorority-in-Development (SID Chapter for short).

We also have a one-year status (begins when a chapter is chartered and becomes an Active Chapter). Chapters in this status have all the rights of older chapters, but a few additional requirements are outlined for them.

------------------
FultonB117@aol.com

ZChi4Life
08-16-2000, 01:03 PM
BFulton,
That's cool to call them SID. I like that cuz that's exactly what is going on. Sweet. I learned something new http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif
EQ, that's how my org does things too. We have to be an IG for a certain period of time before coming a colony. We apply for colony status (pray we make it!) then move on to becoming a chapter. During colony, we pretty much function like a chapter, except we don't do Rush. We again work, work, work and after we've achieved our goals, we apply to become a Chapter (pray) and then hopefully we can move on to becoming a full fledged chapter. At this status we have all the rights and privileges as the other members. There is like 1 or 2 things we can't do until after a certain period of time, but other than that, we are legit in the eyes of Nationals.

ZChi4Life
08-16-2000, 01:08 PM
Hey I have a question.

At the colony or SID status, are you guys allowed to wear letters yet? I know some orgs who function this way. I was just wondering who did this. My org does not. We can't do that until we become a chapter.

If you are not allowed to wear letters, can you wear the letters written out? Can you use them (greek letters or written out) to promote the colony?
For us, we had to say "Associate Members of Zeta Sigma Chi"--written out. We couldn't wear the letters written out either.

[This message has been edited by ZChi4Life (edited August 16, 2000).]

sctroy
08-16-2000, 07:12 PM
In my sorority, the process is an Interest group, a Colony, and then a Chapter. Once a Chapter, you have all the rights and priveledges of every other chapter/member. The Colonies have to get there name out on campus so they can use the sorority letters as long as it also says Colony.

moe.ron
08-17-2000, 05:24 AM
Just wanted to get my wet feet. My organization don't call our colonies colonies. We called them Sigma Epsilon Chapter or SEC. Since every SEC must be a Balanced Man, they are considered members but not brothers until they have gone through the Epsilon rite of passage. Have never experienced an SEC chapter. My chapter been around for over 20 yrs.

I do know that the requirement are very stringent. Our HQ (that is what they like to be called, not national) is very picky in determining SECs. Last time I check there are about 15 SECs out there, and this year, 6 of them receive their charter.

Jus like to say that I wish you all good luck. My organization probably faced the same challenges you all did. It got big through the dedication of alumni. That is what you need, dedicated alumni to push forward your organization.

------------------
I have sold my soul to the evil corporate world. I'm quite happy about it.
-Anynomous

Artimis
08-18-2000, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by ZChi4Life:
Hey I have a question.

At the colony or SID status, are you guys allowed to wear letters yet? I know some orgs who function this way. I was just wondering who did this. My org does not. We can't do that until we become a chapter.
(edited August 16, 2000).]

Our colony memebers are treated as Candidates. Since our candidates can wear lettered shirts with either just greek letters "ASK" or the letters spelt out, colony memebers can do the same.

IG's are required to use "An Interest Group of Alpha Sigma Kappa" and a Colony has to specify they are such.

------------------

Beta Chapter (http://alpha-sigma-kappa.ou.edu/) Alumna and Founder
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies (http://www.alpha-sigma-kappa.org)

Sisters by nature; Friends by Choice

equeen
08-18-2000, 11:34 AM
Clothing with our letters may be worn by candidates and initiates, colony and chapter members. However, member pins and lavaliers may only be worn by initiates. Also, our crest may only be displayed by initiates.

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--

SiempreCansada
12-13-2003, 03:42 AM
First off...hello everyone. I've been kinda quiet on GC...but now I'm starting to come out of my shell!

I'm kinda, sorta in the same situation as Asia2000. I'm very interested in a national latina-based sorority that has 2 other chapters here in Missouri, but not on the campus that I'm transferring to this upcoming school year (2004-2005). I'm thinking of contacting the sorority during the end of this semester/winter break/beginning of next semester. I don't know how to go about finding out if others are interested. Help me! :) Also, I'm a little worried about the fact that there could possibly be an issue w/ people on campus that I'm black and interested in a latina-based sorority. If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears.

I understand why some colonies of some organizations may be allowed to wear the organization's letters as long as they are spelled out and identify the person as not being a full-fledged member of the organization...but I have a question. I thought that the right to wear an organization's letters was only a priviledge and earned right of a full-fledged member, am I wrong? Just curious. If they aren't a fully initiated member of the organization, why are they allowed to wear the actual greek letters??? IMO, I think that the SID/Colony/Assoc. Members/Candidates, etc. should also have to identify that they are not a full fledged member...like what ZChi4Life said about her sorority:

For us, we had to say "Associate Members of Zeta Sigma Chi"--written out. We couldn't wear the letters written out either.

Well, I think that I've written more than enough for this post! :p ;)

SIAsensacion
12-13-2003, 07:09 AM
hey siempre--there was quite a long discussion on wearing letters/not wearing letters not too long ago in the general discussion section (I believe). What it boils down to is this--every org is different and does things in their own way, but most of the NPHC, Latino Greeks, and Multi-Cultural Greeks do not allow non-members to wear their letters. Most of us agree that this right must be earned.

Also, good luck with bringing a Latina sorority to your campus! And don't worry about being Black and interested in a Latina sorority. There will most likely be haters (there always are), but the most important thing is that you believe in your organization and its goals, and you work hard to make sure those goals are fulfilled. And a lot of the LGLOs out there have a good mix of women from different ethnicities, not just Latinas. Good luck, and if you have any questions relating to Latina orgs feel free to PM me.

LatinaAlumna
12-15-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by SIAsensacion
hey siempre--there was quite a long discussion on wearing letters/not wearing letters not too long ago in the general discussion section (I believe). What it boils down to is this--every org is different and does things in their own way, but most of the NPHC, Latino Greeks, and Multi-Cultural Greeks do not allow non-members to wear their letters. Most of us agree that this right must be earned.

Also, good luck with bringing a Latina sorority to your campus! And don't worry about being Black and interested in a Latina sorority. There will most likely be haters (there always are), but the most important thing is that you believe in your organization and its goals, and you work hard to make sure those goals are fulfilled. And a lot of the LGLOs out there have a good mix of women from different ethnicities, not just Latinas. Good luck, and if you have any questions relating to Latina orgs feel free to PM me.

I co-sign on all of the above. Good luck, Siempre, and let us know how it goes (well, what you are able to let us know, anyway!). :)

SiempreCansada
12-15-2003, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the support SIAsensacion & LatinaAlumna. I will definitely be sending both of you pm's w/ all my questions as I get prepared to embark on this journey. Well, I'd love to write more but I need to study for finals! Wish me luck!

Corsulian
02-24-2004, 02:44 AM
-

HollisterDXiChi
04-30-2004, 11:44 AM
I have some questions but I'd like to be pm-ed. If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it.

GONOLES
08-29-2004, 08:26 PM
Hey y'all

sigma delta tau has been invited to "colonize" at florida state university, they have a recruitment process and everything going on... after they recruit some lovely gals, how long before they become a "chapter". I dont really understand how this all works out.

also, if i become a member, will we be able to participate on all levels of activities for greek life on our campus.... before we officially become a chapter?

WhiteDaisy128
08-29-2004, 08:34 PM
I was a colonizing sister of Delta Gamma here at NCSU. To answer your questions. The colonization process is JUST like the new member process in any other chapter - 'cept you also learn HOW to be a chapter. There are immediate opportunities for leadership and you participate in everything any other chapter do - except it's even better - ALL the fraternities want to mix with you because you are new on campus, etc. I was extended a bid to join the colony in mid-September and by mid-November (Nov. 17th), we were initiated and given the charter for the Eta Kappa Chapter of DG....so we were a full fledge chapter!! It's SUCH AN AMAZING experience...it is hard at times - but very worth it in the end.

PhiPsiRuss
08-29-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by GONOLES
Hey y'all

sigma delta tau has been invited to "colonize" at florida state university, they have a recruitment process and everything going on... after they recruit some lovely gals, how long before they become a "chapter". I dont really understand how this all works out.

also, if i become a member, will we be able to participate on all levels of activities for greek life on our campus.... before we officially become a chapter? When I was at Florida State, all GLOs, including colonies, had the opportunity "to participate on all levels of activities for greek life on our campus." I was a colony brother, so I know this from personal experience. As far as I am aware, this has not changed. Sigma Delta Tau is returning to FSU with an invitation from FSU's PanHel, and the blessings of the school.

As a former colony member, I recommend that you explore Sigma Delta Tau. The experience of starting a new legacy is very special.

GONOLES
08-30-2004, 10:25 AM
I have been reading a lot about the sorority, and I think I would really love helping to found the chapter at FSU....

I am glad to hear it didnt take too long for you guys to become a chapter, WhiteDaisy128. I looked at your site.... very nice. How does a new chapter go about attaining a house? Is that a dumb question?

ALso.... do you all think it is more expensive the first couple of years because you are trying to get a lot more things started?

PhiPsiRuss, I am glad that you have had the same type of experience with this. What do you think the hardest part was about establishing yourself at FSU? What about the most rewarding part, in your opinion?

PhiPsiRuss
08-30-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by GONOLES
PhiPsiRuss, I am glad that you have had the same type of experience with this. What do you think the hardest part was about establishing yourself at FSU? What about the most rewarding part, in your opinion?The hardest part is maintaning vision and resolve. You have to decide what your image is, and then force it onto the community in a way that is dignified.

We decided who we were, and who were going to be before anyone knew who we were. As our name initially got out, many people looked down on us. We kept chasing our vision, rather than react to other people. The colony was formed in the Fall of 1985. We chartered in the Spring of 1987. By the Spring of 1988, we were perceived as a top tier (top 4 out of 24) fraternity at FSU. This was our biggest reward.

Our biggest challange was why we didn't stay in the top. We're still a very good chapter, but we can't claim to be top tier anymore. We lacked alumni support, and failed to fully institutionalize what we did. We partially devolved into an animal house type of chapter, and in January 2001 we had a membership review and cleaned house. We returned in the Fall of 2001 with 8 active members. We're starting this Fall with about 50+ actives. 16 years after we were at the top, we are now 5-10 years away from having an established alumni base that can finance the permanent and competitive housing that we need. We'll be at the top again. Hopefully before you graduate.

If I learned one thing, its that sustained excellence has a lot more to do with alumni than actives. If you join SDT at FSU, and you want SDT to become what you want it to be, your role as an alumna will be more important than your role as an active. You still have to be a dynamic and involved active undergraduate member, but the real work begins after you graduate.

FSUZeta
08-30-2004, 12:27 PM
how exciting that you are interested in exploring the possibility of membership as a founding sister of sdt. i am the general advisor to our(currently) newest chapter of zeta tau alpha, at florida gulf coast university, so i can give you an alumna's perspective. you will have a lot of work to do as a founding member, because you are not only going to new member meetings to learn all about sdt, but you are also attending chapter meetings because the colony has to run itself similar to a business. but don't let that scare you away. there are loads of opportunity for fun and bonding with your sisters, socials with fraternities and other sororities and service projects that benefit your national philanthropy as well as local ones. and all sororities think that a members first obligation is to get good grades, so all your time won't be taken up with sorority stuff. as for housing, i am sure that sdt has plans and may even let you all know as you go thru their recruitment process. i know that the sisters of kappa tau chapter of zta would urge you to give it a shot. and like russ said, alumnae support will be crucial, but most sororities won't take the risk of colonizing if they don't have a good alumnae base in the area. i am sure that the sdt alumnae are just waiting for the start date to show all your pnm's how excited they are to be meeting you. i remember whitedaisy's postings as she went thru the colonization process with her sisters. you might do a search to find that thread: it could give you a little peak into what you might experience too. best of luck, and please let us know what you decide!! and GO NOLES!!!! lisa

GONOLES
08-30-2004, 07:12 PM
The more I read about the wonderful experiences people have had with starting a chapter.. the more I want to be involved!

I feel almost sentimental about becoming a founding member... Since I was unable to go through normal fall rush, I really think I am supposed to become involved with SDT... so I am defidently excited, and looking forward to going through recruitment.

Thanks FSUZeta for the 411... I have been looking at a lot of posts to get a feel for what things are to come... and Whitedaisy128... thanks so much for all those posts in the past about your experiences with DG... I feel like we have a lot in common... and how are things going by the way...?

PhiPsiRuss..... you are GREAT! so informative.. I JUST LOVE YOU! I will def. be asking more questions and opinions as the process rolls on....

thanks again!!

WhiteDaisy128
08-30-2004, 07:32 PM
Well, I ended up writing a small novel...but it's worth it...to me at least!

I am glad to hear it didnt take too long for you guys to become a chapter, WhiteDaisy128. I looked at your site.... very nice. How does a new chapter go about attaining a house? Is that a dumb question?

No, not a silly question at all. One of the agreements that DG made with NCSU's Greek Life department is that we would rent a house from them for 4 years. At NCSU we have a Fraternity Court, which is a neighborhood of 13 Greek Houses (it's also considered "on campus" living). DG agreed to live on the court for 4 years. Internationally, Delta Gamma has a House Corporation that is in charge of trying to find all DG chapters houses...so they have it in their budget to help us out with all the start up fees (common room furnature, etc.).

As far as the general colony experience - it was AMAZING! We were embraced on campus and in the Delta Gamma community. I suddenly had 100 sisters that I got to know - and it was amazing! These were girls that I would have never gotten to meet, an yet, we were all so alike and so different that it made the perfect chapter dynamics. Girls of all "grade levels" were accepted - and it was a blast having a "pledge class" be the entire sorority.

Delta Gamma's Executive Office's sent several people to live at NCSU to help us get off the ground. They acted as the officers until we elected our first president and chapter management team. As a colony, everyone is on a level playing ground and you can hold a leadership position immediatly. We actually had a sophomore as our first president. It's neat because for as long as the chapter is alive, YOUR picture is on that composit as a founding sister.

Colonies start with NO stereotypes. YOU make it what you want it to be. You start all of the chapter traditions. You start your family tree! When girls trace their family lines (like their big sisters, their big sister's big, etc.) - YOU will be at the top of the line!!

Being a colony is a lot of hard work. When you bring 100 girls together, not everyone is going to click right from the beginning! Everyone has friends already outside of the group - and it's hard to balance time. It's also hard because your president will be learning with everyone else. There are sooooo many forms that have to be filed with your (inter)national headquarters - there are so many things to learn.

But it's such a rewarding experience. And the bond that you share with your sisters is amazing as well. For example: My mother passed away in March of 2003 (she was also a Delta Gamma), only 5 months after I was initiated into Delta Gamma. Well, while she was in the hospital and we knew it was near the end - 30 of my sisters showed up at my dad's house and cleaned it from top to bottom (I mean EVERYTHING - doing laundry, cleaning toilets, the whole 9 yards) with out being asked. They wanted to help out in any way possible. My mother passed away over Spring Break. Girls FLEW HOME from their vacation in MEXICO to be with me at her funeral. When I went to Ohio, where my mother was burried, one of my beautiful sisters (NOT EVEN from my chapter - but from my mom's chapter, in her home town) held me as I cried...she was with me non-stop from when I got to Ohio - her chapter even happend to be having Initiation that night and she invited me to join them - as we had lost my mother, an amazing DG, we gained 15 beautiful new DGs.

I can't even begin to describe how showing up for the colony rush of Delta Gamma has forever changed my life. It's been hard, sure. And at times, I just wanted to scream! But the friendships that I've made, and the good experiences that I've had, FAR out weigh all of the bad. And even though I only had Delta Gamma for two years in college (as I joined as a junior) - I will ALWAYS be a Delta Gamma...and I'll always be active with my amazing sisterhood.

Now, I know this is all about Delta Gamma, but SDT could be that organization for you. It's at least worth checking out. Please let us know what you decide to do - we'd love to hear about your alternative rush story!

Sorry this ended up so long!

PhiPsiRuss
08-30-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by WhiteDaisy128
But it's such a rewarding experience. And the bond that you share with your sisters is amazing as well. For example: My mother passed away in March of 2003 (she was also a Delta Gamma), only 5 months after I was initiated into Delta Gamma. Well, while she was in the hospital and we knew it was near the end - 30 of my sisters showed up at my dad's house and cleaned it from top to bottom (I mean EVERYTHING - doing laundry, cleaning toilets, the whole 9 yards) with out being asked. They wanted to help out in any way possible. My mother passed away over Spring Break. Girls FLEW HOME from their vacation in MEXICO to be with me at her funeral. When I went to Ohio, where my mother was burried, one of my beautiful sisters (NOT EVEN from my chapter - but from my mom's chapter, in her home town) held me as I cried...she was with me non-stop from when I got to Ohio - her chapter even happend to be having Initiation that night and she invited me to join them - as we had lost my mother, an amazing DG, we gained 15 beautiful new DGs.WhiteDaisy128, that was a really touching story. I'm glad that you posted it.

GONOLES
08-30-2004, 11:08 PM
whitedaisy128... i feel like i relate so much with you. I thank you for sharing as well. My Dad was diagnosed with a form of liver cancer a month before I left for college. He has been getting at home interferron (spelling?) treatments, and it's been incredibly..rough. His diagnosis is a major reason I did not rush my freshman year... but your story makes me feel like it's now a major reason why I should now. I pushed a lot of friends away in the thought that this was something I needed to deal with on my own... and I shouldnt bother others with bad news.... but now I realize how much I need support.

My dad wants me to be more focused on school,(and not so much on him) and be doing all of the things i had always thought my college experience would consist of. I have friends here, but often I feel like I am completely alone, and I have no one to go to when things get difficult, or scary. Did you feel like this before you became a sister? I just cant explain to you how much I am touched by the sheer love and support your sisters showed you, and it moves me so much, that I feel honored that I could be apart of something as wonderful....

thank you so much for sharing....

WhiteDaisy128
08-30-2004, 11:36 PM
Gonoles, I did feel that way! My mother was also very insistant that I keep up with school and that was important. She was a teacher in so many senses of the word - I really really really think, with all of my heart, that she held out until Spring Break so my brother and I wouldn't miss any school. That'd be just like her.

I did want to deal with it alone for a while. I felt like people weren't going to like me if they found out my mom was sick - like maybe I'd spread the sickness to them (I know that sounds so silly!). But it's something you simply can not do alone. My sisters were the perfect support for me. DG's symbol is the anchor and my sister TRULY were my anchors through out the times surrounding my mother's death.

Check out SDT, see if it's a fit - it may be, it may not be! SDT's symbol is the torch...don't be afraid to let someone else light the way for you if you need them. Through my tragedy, the entire young chapter pulled together to help...it was amazing!

Even now that I've graduated, I come back to help with Greek life events on campus (like talking to freshmen at orientation) - because that is how much I BELIEVE in Greek life. I know it has lot's of bad stereotypes...but with all my heart, I believe it is good...very, very good. I really don't know where I'd be today with out my sisters!

I can't wait for everything that's to come too - I'm going to be one of my sister's maid of honor next year!! I'm so excited!