PDA

View Full Version : Sorority version of Animal House...

LeslieAGD
07-12-2001, 10:55 AM
Check out this preview of Sorority Rule...
http://www.upcomingmovies.com/sororityrule.html

Well, let the negative Greek stereotypes continue...While the movie may turn out to be funny ala Road Trip (and we can obviously laugh at the cliches), this isn't going to help our Greek Community at all. Why doesn't someone make a movie about what Greeks are really like? Now, that's a movie I'd pay eight bucks to go see.

GmuTeke
07-12-2001, 11:21 AM
Checked the site, my that sounds terrible, even from a sheer innane plot perspective as well as the negative stereotypes.

While a real movie depicting Greek life accurately might be knocking down stereotypes, I can't see studio executives liking the idea, or independent audiences accepting the film.

sigh

AngelPhiSig
07-12-2001, 02:13 PM
Ive written to the company that produced this movie. They said the author of the script was in a sorority and was embellishing a little on her time in college. They dont really care about hurting our recruitment at all, and will not even add a tiny disclaimer about the story being ficticious... damn media!!!!!!!!
<3Ali

------------------
"...A dynamic sisterhood of powerful and passionate women maintaining uncompromising principles, igniting positive change, and embracing individuality!"

Phi Sigma Sigma - Gamma Gamma Chapter
---
1-9-4-6 Doohretsis!

Tau Beta Sigma - Delta Omicron Chapter
---
Go Golden Chickens! I mean EAGLES!

There are only a few good things that came out of Clarion- Chris Kirkpatrick of NSync, Kurt Angle (Pre WWF!) and any PHI SIGMA SIGMA!

amycat412
07-12-2001, 02:58 PM
Hey guys-
This hasn't started filming yet according to the site, and does not have a distributor--I am in the film business and can tell you that without a distributor this will either not get made, or go staright to video.

I think it could be OK if they made it really campy--where it was obvious it was all blown out of proportion--like the comparison to Election.

I don't think the final project is intended to present a serious look at rush--they are trying to be funny. Let's hope they succeed without fostering a whole new wave of stereotypes.

sigmagrrl
07-12-2001, 03:30 PM
On one hand, I am not happy they are making this. But on the other hand, after Animal House was released Greek Life doubled and expanded like crazy! Maybe any publicity like this could be benficial....Here's hoping!

Regina
07-13-2001, 10:44 AM
I agree that it's not a positive portrayal, but I don't think that making Greeks look silly is as bad as making them look bad due to hazing, etc.

SSS1365
07-13-2001, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by sigmagrrl:
On one hand, I am not happy they are making this. But on the other hand, after Animal House was released Greek Life doubled and expanded like crazy! Maybe any publicity like this could be benficial....Here's hoping!

There's actually a local fraternity here called Delta Tau Chi... I'm pretty sure they took the name from Animal House, because as far as I know that's not a national.

I don't think this movie would really change much. Those who want to go Greek aren't likely to change their minds because of a movie. Unfortunately, those who already have a low opinion of GLO's will just continue to have those opinions. But they're never going to change, movie or no movie.

SoCalGirl
07-23-2001, 10:11 PM
http://www.upcomingmovies.com/pumpkin.html

Just found out about this one!

ConcordDZ
07-26-2001, 03:14 PM
To SSS1365:

Do you go to Concord College? I do, and we have a few Delta Tau Chi's left. That's why I asked!

Emily :-)