PDA

View Full Version : exactly what is skating?

ll10
09-25-2007, 03:35 AM
i'm new to greek life - researching on the frats on campus and most likely pledging for one... i've heard the term skating and although i have kind of an idea of what it is, it's not so clear on my head. what's skating?
thanks!

Sugar08
09-25-2007, 03:54 AM
i'm new to greek life - researching on the frats on campus and most likely pledging for one... i've heard the term skating and although i have kind of an idea of what it is, it's not so clear on my head. what's skating?
thanks!

Oh dear. :(

Unregistered-
09-25-2007, 04:22 AM
The search button is your friend. If GreekChat doesn't work, there's always Google.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/archive/index.php/t-1246.html
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/archive/index.php/t-2604.html

FWIW, in my experience here on GreekChat, the use of that word is frowned upon and I've seen many people get sensitive about it here.

Judging from your post, I'm going to assume that you're interested in an NPHC fraternity. That said, if I were you, I'd refrain from asking any questions on intake and membership online and follow the guidelines set forth by the fraternity you're interested in.

ll10
09-25-2007, 04:37 AM
thanks for clarifying that - i didn't know it was such a sensitive subject... but i'm glad i know now...

PrettyBoy
09-26-2007, 12:56 AM
thanks!
I'll tell you exactly what it is. A skater is a joker who just signs his/her name on the dotted line without going through any kind of pledge process. At least that's what it was when I was in school. Unfortunately pledging has gotten so strict for safety reasons that now a pledge is pretty much forced to skate in.

ladygreek
09-26-2007, 01:13 AM
I'll tell you exactly what it is. A skater is a joker who just signs his/her name on the dotted line without going through any kind of pledge process. At least that's what it was when I was in school. Unfortunately pledging has gotten so strict for safety reasons that now a pledge is pretty much forced to skate in.
Speak only on your own org. Delta's legal process is hardly skating in. And as someone who pledged when hazing was not illegal and there were no time limits, I know the difference. Strip away all of the nonsense (hazing) and you have a REAL process that is strictly about business.

PrettyBoy
09-26-2007, 01:26 AM
Speak only on your own org. Delta's legal process is hardly skating in. And as someone who pledged when hazing was not illegal there were no time limits, I know the difference. Strip away all of the nonsense (hazing) and you have a REAL process that is strictly about business.
I was speaking of the way it was when I was in school on my campus. All the greeks on our campus referred to it that way. I'm not sure how it was on other campuses or how it is now.

CutiePie2000
09-26-2007, 01:33 AM
Skating is reaping the benefits of something without actually having to work for those benefits (i.e. "earn" them). I see this behavior demonstrated by my boss on a daily basis.

Apply this concept how you will to Greek Life.

PrettyBoy
09-26-2007, 01:34 AM
Skating is reaping the benefits of something without actually having to work for them / earn them. I see this behavior demonstrated by my boss on a daily basis.

Apply this how you will to Greek Life.
Exactly.

LOL at your boss.:D

amanda6035
09-26-2007, 06:45 AM
Skating is reaping the benefits of something without actually having to work for those benefits (i.e. "earn" them). I see this behavior demonstrated by my boss on a daily basis.

Apply this concept how you will to Greek Life.

The first time I heard the term skating was while I was in the service....and it's exactly as you described - folks who don't do crap, but yet they get a paycheck, and when advancement cycles come around, if they pass the test and advance to the next paygrade, they get more money to skate. It made for alot of resentful sailors who DID bust their @$$ to do a good job, only to be on the same pay level as a skater. Too bad that performance doesnt equal pay in the military.

Honeykiss1974
09-26-2007, 01:43 PM

You have now given me a new nickname for my boss. Thank you! :)

angelnside
09-27-2007, 03:06 PM
thats how confusion it may be. someone can be considered a skater in the undergraduate world, but don't the graduate chapter do the same thing. In the graduate chapter, you pay your money and BAM!! you are apart. so why is it ok in the graduate chapter, but looked disgusted in the undergrad world??

DaemonSeid
09-27-2007, 03:07 PM

I thought skating was what you did on ice......

**snicker**

DSTCHAOS
09-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Yes, "skating" (as in expecting an outcome without the hardwork) is a term that exists outside of Greekdom. I'm glad people pointed that out.

Hi, Ladygreek. :D

PrettyBoy, I understood what you meant. So now as a grown man away from a college campus, you know to edit that definition to include Greeks who wear letters and brag about how hard they were HAZED but who don't contribute financially or service-wise. :) They're still reaping the benefits without the hard work. And whether they worked hard to get the letters in the first place is ALWAYS a matter of opinion and perspective.

DSTCHAOS
09-27-2007, 03:17 PM
In the graduate chapter, you pay your money and BAM!! you are apart.

Maybe in your graduate chapter.

BlueNYC2
09-27-2007, 03:20 PM

word!!! i know i worked for mine...and i came in thru grad chapter...

DSTCHAOS
09-27-2007, 03:23 PM
word!!! i know i worked for mine...and i came in thru grad chapter...

Whatever "worked for mine" means.

Animate
09-27-2007, 03:50 PM
thats how confusion it may be. someone can be considered a skater in the undergraduate world, but don't the graduate chapter do the same thing. In the graduate chapter, you pay your money and BAM!! you are apart. so why is it ok in the graduate chapter, but looked disgusted in the undergrad world??

I'm so glad you know how every grad chapter of every organization works. I'm so enlightened now. :rolleyes:

Kevin
09-27-2007, 03:52 PM
The search button is your friend. If GreekChat doesn't work, there's always Google.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/archive/index.php/t-1246.html
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/archive/index.php/t-2604.html

FWIW, in my experience here on GreekChat, the use of that word is frowned upon and I've seen many people get sensitive about it here.

Judging from your post, I'm going to assume that you're interested in an NPHC fraternity. That said, if I were you, I'd refrain from asking any questions on intake and membership online and follow the guidelines set forth by the fraternity you're interested in.

Quoted because it would be impossible to improve on this as a response to the OP.

CutiePie2000
09-27-2007, 10:40 PM
You have now given me a new nickname for my boss. Thank you! :)

With a nod to Avril Lavigne, you can call him "Sk8R Boi".

PrettyBoy
09-28-2007, 07:37 AM
Yes, "skating" (as in expecting an outcome without the hardwork) is a term that exists outside of Greekdom. I'm glad people pointed that out.

Hi, Ladygreek. :D

PrettyBoy, I understood what you meant. So now as a grown man away from a college campus, you know to edit that definition to include Greeks who wear letters and brag about how hard they were HAZED but who don't contribute financially or service-wise. :) They're still reaping the benefits without the hard work. And whether they worked hard to get the letters in the first place is ALWAYS a matter of opinion and perspective.
DSTCHAOS, you're absolutely correct. There is a lot of that going on today. There are members of glos who are not financial, but yet at the same time are using the organization for it's benefits. That's wrong. Now, yes I am grown and away from college, but I go back every year for Homecoming, because I am very close not only to my sands, but the rest of the brothers at that chapter. When we come back for homecoming, we go back to some of the places where our pledging sessions took place. We sing some of the scroller chants we had to sing when we were on line, and we get emotional doing this. It's a bond I can't explain. These places are very sentimental to us. Are there brothers in my fraternity who didn't pledge and were initiated the new, "legal" and correct way? Yes, and I still accept them as my brothers, because it's not what you do to get in, but what you do once you're in. I pledged 16 weeks the old way and I'm proud of that, I'm also financial as well. I think since I worked very hard to earn my letters, I love it that much more. We sacrificed a lot for each other on line, and I would do the same for a brother today. I know a lot of Greeks don't agree with my opinion on the way I think pledging should still be, but like you said, it's a matter of opinion, and yes, I do wish things were still done like they used to be.

PrettyBoy
09-28-2007, 07:40 AM
I thought skating was what you did on ice......

**snicker**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOqeYWKB0wY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOqeYWKB0wY) :D

mulattogyrl
09-28-2007, 09:03 AM
Delta's legal process is hardly skating in.

Exactly! *sigh*

DSTCHAOS
09-28-2007, 11:51 AM
DSTCHAOS, you're absolutely correct. There is a lot of that going on today. There are members of glos who are not financial, but yet at the same time are using the organization for it's benefits. That's wrong. Now, yes I am grown and away from college, but I go back every year for Homecoming, because I am very close not only to my sands, but the rest of the brothers at that chapter. When we come back for homecoming, we go back to some of the places where our pledging sessions took place. We sing some of the scroller chants we had to sing when we were on line, and we get emotional doing this. It's a bond I can't explain. These places are very sentimental to us. Are there brothers in my fraternity who didn't pledge and were initiated the new, "legal" and correct way? Yes, and I still accept them as my brothers, because it's not what you do to get in, but what you do once you're in. I pledged 16 weeks the old way and I'm proud of that, I'm also financial as well. I think since I worked very hard to earn my letters, I love it that much more. We sacrificed a lot for each other on line, and I would do the same for a brother today. I know a lot of Greeks don't agree with my opinion on the way I think pledging should still be, but like you said, it's a matter of opinion, and yes, I do wish things were still done like they used to be.

Most of this response is...extra information. What you claim to have gone through to become a Krappa was and always will be YOUR business. I'm not impressed either way but that's that.

What matters now is that you were duly initiated and are currently financial. Consider keeping the rest to yourself because it seems like you're protesting too much.

Senusret I
09-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Krappa

Thank you for resurrecting my favorite word of 2005. :) I don't know how I came to stop using it.

DaemonSeid
09-28-2007, 12:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOqeYWKB0wY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOqeYWKB0wY) :D

so wrong man...LOL

DSTCHAOS
09-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Thank you for resurrecting my favorite word of 2005. :) I don't know how I came to stop using it.

You were probably being friendly. You know better than to do that!!! :mad:

Finer Woman10-A-91
09-28-2007, 12:26 PM

behave...;-)

Nodding to DST Chaos and the elder Delta on the board...
These kinda threads always tickle me...

Velocity_14
09-28-2007, 02:21 PM

Co-sign.

sigmadiva
09-28-2007, 04:50 PM

I have to agree with DSTChaos :eek:. Much of this sounds like you are just walking down memory lane.

I came in during the time of the 'old' way - when above ground hazing was very much accepted, and expected. For me, all the way through until initiation night!!!:eek::eek:

What I never understood about the 'old' way then and to this day - does it make you more of a brother / sister just because you got your @$$ beaten for 16 weeks? (Not saying that you did, but I know of those who did.) Honestly, if someone beat me for that long, the last thing I would want to do is call him / her family. Unless, it is a dysfunctional family. :(

PrettyBoy
09-29-2007, 12:02 AM
Honestly, if someone beat me for that long, the last thing I would want to do is call him / her family. Unless, it is a dysfunctional family. :(
LMAO!:D

CULater
01-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Honestly, if someone beat me for that long, the last thing I would want to do is call him / her family. Unless, it is a dysfunctional family. :(

ditto...i just envisioned a Maury-like type of episode where members aired out their grievances to each other, and the audience going "booo" and being shocked, and hating.