PDA

View Full Version : Depledge looking to rush again

jw87
08-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Hey guys
Last year I depledged the fraternity I was pledging. I am entering the fall as a sophomore and I'm looking to pledge again elsewhere but I'm worried that I will be disregarded for having previous relations with another fraternity. Is a former depledge looked down upon during rush?

AlphaFrog
08-01-2007, 03:00 PM
To borrow from AlphaGamUGAAlum, IDOC.

(It depends on the campus).

LaneSig
08-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Like AlphaFrog says, it depends on the school. Do you go to a school with a large or small Greek Life? If many of the brothers know you pledged another fraternity, they will ask why you de-pledged. Be honest without ragging on your former chapter.

Tom Earp
08-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Hey guys
Last year I depledged the fraternity I was pledging. I am entering the fall as a sophomore and I'm looking to pledge again elsewhere but I'm worried that I will be disregarded for having previous relations with another fraternity. Is a former depledge looked down upon during rush?

Not trying to be harsh, but there must be a better reason for depledging.

PM me if you feel better!

But as far as transfering and associate with another GLO, there should be no problem!:)

tchi252
08-06-2007, 10:42 AM
I know in my chapter we wouldnt touch you. We are known as the elite fraternity on our campus and if you couldnt get into a fraternity below us you sure are a waste of our time. but theyre is usually one or 2 fraternities on campus that take almost everyone your best bet is to try them.

AlphaFrog
08-06-2007, 10:55 AM
I know in my chapter we wouldnt touch you. We are known as the elite fraternity on our campus and if you couldnt get into a fraternity below us you sure are a waste of our time. but theyre is usually one or 2 fraternities on campus that take almost everyone your best bet is to try them.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Were you born with your head that far up your ass, or did someone put it there for you?:rolleyes:

jw87
08-07-2007, 02:32 AM
Yeah I doubt you're top-tier. All the top-tier guys I know from UVa have class. I'm going to guess you are a Chi Phi.

AlphaFrog
08-07-2007, 06:49 AM
Yeah I doubt you're top-tier. All the top-tier guys I know from UVa have class. I'm going to guess you are a Chi Phi.

Hey, Sherlock, he goes to VCU, and he's a Theta Chi. It's not even a matter of context clues, he stated it in another thread.

-You neighborhood equal opportunity destroyer.

SnuKnight172
08-09-2007, 01:14 PM
If you depledged for a truly bad situation where you were the victim of a messed up situation you may be able to get picked up by another house.

ZK761
08-13-2007, 02:32 AM
I've known people who depledged and pledged another fraternity, because they didn't believe in the ideals of that fraternity or just realized that they had made a major mistake

SNUIGC
08-13-2007, 12:11 PM
I'll admit, the first year I came up here I pledged a fraternity... depledged and then this last year joined my fraternity. However, there were 2 main reasons why I was allowed to join another fraternity... 1. the circumstances of my leaving (basically, they hazed and because it's a "christian fraternity" basically "outlawed" my having friends of other faiths) and 2. (the main reasons) they're a local fraternity, don't have a house and aren't even recognized by IFC/NPH. ...so, it depends upon your campus, but there are usually some circumstances for being able to repledge.

SigmaNuHX766
09-13-2007, 01:59 AM
I depledged another fraternity on campus, and 3 years later was initiated into Sigma Nu.

I simply explained to my brothers in Sigma Nu that I had been hazed, gotten the tar beat out of me, and that I wanted no part in that other fraternity... it even took THEM a lot of convincing for me to accept my bid, too.

One thing I would recommend is this: don't rush again right away... give things time to cool off, much like you would after a bad breakup.

A lot depends on circumstance, how much the guys in the 1st fraternity gossiped about you (because lets be honest, guys are sometimes worse than girls when it comes to gossip), and the overall campus greek situation.

Good luck though!

omeganu
09-13-2007, 03:26 PM

I'm sorry....but at 19 years old....there's nothing "elite" about you. You're just young and stupid. You embody everything that other chapters have to convince new members that they're not. Thanks for making it harder for the rest of us.

As for pledging and depledging.....I think it's not just campus specific, it's Fraternity specific. I guess it depends on what house you want to join.

AEjayK
10-15-2007, 07:08 PM
it depends on your fraternity. with my fraternity (every chapter) one of the rules is that we don't take any depledges from anyone.

but yeah, if you decide to rush again, just be honest about it. it'll look better if you tell them rather then them finding out.

Phins2left
11-27-2007, 04:58 PM
The best chapters have far more prospects than slots in their pledge class, and look for ways to whittle the number down to a managable amount. Nobody enjoys the long meetings going over each prospective to see who gets bids, and I can't imagine vetting out more than thirty or forty guys and giving it proper attention.

Don't take it personally, but it makes some sense to automatically exclude anyone who already fell out of the pledging process. They have a history of not working out (either by their own decision, or chapter action) and therefore have less chance of making it through your program. Better to spend your time working on pledges who don't come with that baggage.

OTOH, if your story is 1) unusual and 2) truthful, and you are otherwise the ideal prospective, you might want to take the gamble.

Under no circumstances lie. you might get away with it for a while, but eventually you'll be found out and even the most member-hungry chapters would probably dump you (after you became emotionally invested in the process, and they wasted a lot of time on you). Not worth it.

my $.02

yeah2311
12-05-2007, 07:53 PM
I know with my fraternity once you pledge us you cannot pledge another fraternity

Unregistered-
12-05-2007, 07:56 PM
I know with my fraternity once you pledge us you cannot pledge another fraternity

If a pledge isn't even an initiated member of your fraternity yet, how can your fraternity dictate what he does after he depledges and cuts ties with your organization?

TSteven
12-05-2007, 08:37 PM
If a pledge isn't even an initiated member of your fraternity yet, how can your fraternity dictate what he does after he depledges and cuts ties with your organization?

I'm just guessing here but I believe he means initiate. Or perhaps it is campus protocol that the chapters on his campus do not rush former pledges of other fraternities.

Also, some NICs do not allow a member to withdraw (terminate membership) on their own accord without jumping though a lot of hoops. As such, to be able to join another fraternity, a rushee needs a written confirmation from the former NIC HQ that he is no longer a member. If he doesn't have that, and the campus knows he was initiated in another fraternity, then they won't pledge him.