PDA

View Full Version : Fall Formal Recruitment...

I_Heart_ASA
07-25-2007, 04:03 AM
I am planning on being VP of PR and Recruitment for the 2007-08 school year and I want to have almost everything planned out by the time elections comes around so that right after I have the position I can start making workshops instead of planning my recruitment plans. Well I have been thinking some stuff over and I finally had a Great idea that I was in love with. I wanted to to like the PINK from Victoria's Secret theme. Have all the girls wear PINK sweats and make it like a "Slumber Party" kinda thing and we'd watch the slide show that night. Well I just found out that Alpha Phi on my campus is doing that this year so I won't be able to do it (I was super bummed) but anyway, I am having a hard time thinking of cute themes that will attract girls that hasn't been done. I saw somewhere like a French Cafe thing, which sounds good. Like J'Adore Alpha Sigs or something. But if I could get some ideas that are maybe along these lines that would be incredibly helpful. Another theme that worked well on my campus is Delta Zeta and Co. (like Tiffanys)

Thanks Guys!

AlphaFrog
07-25-2007, 07:24 AM
Woah, woah, woah...stop the train...back it up...

I admire your ambition and intentions, but you're putting the cart WAY before the horse. First of all, I wouldn't count on getting elected. It might happen, it might not. Obviously, I don't know your chapter, but there's usually competition for that postion. It just doesn't always happen the way you want it too, and then if you've already gone and done all the work, you're going to end up dissapointed, and maybe even resentful. Second, again, I don't know your chapter, but in my chapter recruitment was a group effort that people enjoyed working together doing. Sure there were some times where things got tense, and some tasks that are less desirable than others, but it's the CHAPTER'S recruitment, not the VP of PR. I think I would have been pissed if the VP of PR stepped in and said "This is what we're doing, end of story", without any input from the group. What one person thinks is a brillant idea could make half the chapter cringe. Themes, skits, etc need to be something that everyone (or at least a majority) can agree on.

Like I said, I admire your ambition, ideas, and drive but I just feel like your setting yourself up to get hurt/pissed if you don't wait for the actual elections to start working on this.

(If and)AFTER you get elected, we'll be glad to help you out!:):):)

ETA: When are your elections? Shouldn't you have already had them for 07-08?

33girl
07-25-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm confused about the election timing too - aren't they held in November for the following calendar year?

The ideas sound great, and if you're VPPR you do have the final say, but if I'm not mistaken there's usually a rush committee to help with everything. I would let anyone who has ideas contribute.

AlphaFrog
07-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Ours were earlier than November, because I remember being initated on a Thursday and taking office that Saturday. Initiation was in November, but officer elections were late October, I believe.

I_Heart_ASA
07-26-2007, 02:15 AM
Ya ours are in November. You're probably right but with our chapter we're at about half of total and so in the past couple years girls have been running unopposed. And I am the assistant to VP PR and Recruitment this year because I am kinda "in training" if you will for next year.
Recruitment is something we're trying to strengthen and a lot of our girls are feeling kinda down when it comes to bringing in new girls. I know I am way ahead of normal schedule but the reason is that last year the VP or PR Recruitment left out of no where on the 2nd day of recruitment. Completely left with the girls confused so I have the thought that if I had ideas started by the time I was running the girls would feel more confident and comfortable giving me that position.

But thanks. I can wait a while. I'm just brainstorming and I am having a hard time being creative so I thought I'd come for advice. :)

I_Heart_ASA
07-26-2007, 02:29 AM
Haha oh PS. By the 2007-2008 school year, it's mainly 2008. We have elections in Nov of 2007... so that was my mistake :)

And don't worry. I fully intend on getting imput on all my ideas from the chapter. I just want a broad list of ideas that I can narrow down and maybe have the chapter vote on or something

AlphaFrog
07-26-2007, 08:08 AM
Alright, now I think we're more on the same wavelength. I was just totally taken aback by the "I'm planning on being..." instead of "I'm wanting to run for...". It seemed presumptuous. Like I said, get through THIS YEAR'S recruitment (if you need any ideas, feel free to ask!:D) and then we'll help you with next year's recruitment....

ASAalpha
07-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Well as a fellow ASA I commend you for your initiative because I have learned that most college girls don't have any at all! You are right for brainstorming now for ideas and 'putting the cart before the horse' because when you go into elections the other girls will know that you are serious about this position and won't let them down. As far as the committees....what a bunch of crap! We think we have committees but most of the time they say they will help and show up but end up MIA!! So the only person you can truly rely on is yourself and that is fine...get input from the sisters at meetings but know you will be the one staying up all night working on recruitment.
Good luck with everything!

I_Heart_ASA
12-04-2007, 03:43 AM
Ok ladies... I need help again. We had elections and I did get elected into the VP of PR and Recruitment position, but I am needing a cute theme for our 2nd day of recruitment. For philanthropy day I was thinking about doing a "Crimson Ball" theme, as if it is a benefit "ball" or something and have all the girls in red cocktail dresses and then we can have them working on cute projects for Special Olympics and S. June Smith Center, but I need an idea for "Getting to know you" day. It's basically completely open. It's just a day where it is mainly just talking to the pnm's and getting to know all the girls. If anyone has a cute idea please list them off. Thanks a ton!

AlphaFrog
12-04-2007, 07:51 AM
How many days of recruitment are there?

If there are four - why not do the colors as a rush-long theme, if you're going to do "Crimson Ball". You could do a tropical theme for Palm Green and a "Heaven/Pearly Gates of ASA" theme for Pearl White, and Gold could be prefs - Going for ASA Gold, maybe? Or an "Oscars" type event, where you present "PNMS with "Gold Statues" (which you obviously take away at the end of the party and return to them on bid day). Or, if you only have 3 rounds of rush, make Pearl White bid day to welcome the new Pearls.:)

ETA: As for bid day t-shirts, if you do the "Colors" Theme - I'm not exactly sure how to do this without making it look cluttered (maybe y'all have an art major??) but your "slogan" could be "Letter for Letter, We're FOUR times Better!" and then have the 4 colors/exemplars/symbols on the shirts.

asa06091987
12-18-2007, 01:03 PM
wow alphafrog, you've obviously done this before lol
at my school we have some crazy restrictions on themes...you're only allowed one theme night and its right before pref...we usually do cute letter shirts for the first night and chapter letters for the second, then our theme night (last year we had a sailors ball, this last semester we had asa "one love") and black pin attire for pref...
i remember being really overwhelmed by the sororities that overdid it during recruitment. we tend to stand by the less is more idea, just being ourselves usually sets us apart from the other sororities, and we've been making quota, so it seems to be working lol
:) although alphafrog's idea is really really cute---just thought id share what we do

I_Heart_ASA
01-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the help! So I think with the help of my advisors and my creative juices (with some help from you wonderful ladies) I have some ideas. Our formal recruitment is 4 days. The first day panhellenic decides the theme and gives us shirts, and then the 4th day is pref. The second day, I am going to do a theme "Only the chosen can wear the crown" and I found a really cute shirt that says that and has the Juicy Couture symbol (it has that crown at the top) so I am working on developing that day more... and then the 3rd day which is philanthropy focus, I am going to do a "crimson ball" theme. We will act like it is a philanthropy ball and have a "dance off" and do crafts at tables for the S June Smith Center.

Thanks for all the help, if anyone has any more ideas shoot them my way. I'm always open to new thoughts. Thanks!

Alpha Love!

cuteASAbug
01-03-2008, 09:05 PM
I_Heart_ASA, all of those ideas sound really great! Best wishes to your chapter on recruitment, and let us know how it goes!

Alpha Love