PDA

View Full Version : Linton to Knox, January 1, 1840

DoctorThursday
05-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Linton to Knox, January 1, 1840

Esteemed Friends (as Dave puts it!)

I apologise for my long delay in posting anything new - I mean old! - but as you know, work and life can take a lot of a guy's time.

Herewith, then - as the college year draws to a close and some of us go out into the world - an amazing snapshot from the life of a new alumnus. He also is busy, studying law in Cincinnati. I don't have the time just now to do the annotations; but I think any historians will know who "Old Tip" is. And the "Quaker Miss"? Yes, she became Linton's wife! This letter was not easy to decipher in some places, and there are bound to be local details now lost in the mists of time - yet one can still feel the warmth of true brotherhood, and recognise the foundation of our confidence...

In all sincerity,
Dr. Thursday

Linton to Knox
January 1, 1840

Esteemed Friend,

Yours was received in due season, but my besetting aim is with me. Though negligent, yet I am not the less ardent in my feelings, though apparently negligent, my old comrades and my bosom friends often pass in review before my mind with all their deeds, their freaks their sports, our social chats merry and sad, all come trooping in and stir up slumbering emotions, and thus I live over the hours that are past. But Reily, why that flouncing and floundering? That charge of inconstancy, yea, even to the questioning of purity? Dost thou say “with thine own words will condemn thee?” What are those words which would cast so foul a stain upon mine ermine? Who as thou knowest, am chaste as an isule [?]; yea even as the “isule [?] upon Diana’s temple.” What did I do? Gave a modest reply, as in duty bound, to thine own “agony of bliss.” O “particeps crimines,” hast thou become saint; that thou shouldst reprove others. Indeed; sir, sir, your long face, aye, and gown too, will make you look truly ridiculous; unless you can master the fates and make what has been so that it was not.

I have fallen in love with your girls – “the red banner of health and his fires burning brightly” etc. Where are they? I want to see them. Surely you will not loving them; since we read in the good book that it is our duty to love. But you inquire about my Quaker Miss, this I will answer. In the good old county of Clinton, treading its snowy plains and breathing its invigorating air, she emulates its snow with her whiteness tinged with the “red banner.” Her breath is odor; her form is grace; her keen but melting eye “O what is it?” Who shall describe it? The index of the immortal spirit combining brilliancy with penetration, wit with judgement. The emblem of her disposition sweet, affable, mild, conciliatory, kind, obliging and add as many other good terms as you can think of and you have it. Now, do you charge me with inconstancy? O shame upon the thought. But I think it would be well to give these matters the go by.

I do not altogether like your remarks about the boys. [He means the Betas. Dr. T.] Between you and me it may be that their vanity is flattered; but I would much rather think they were men whose vanity could not be flattered in that way – men whose intrinsic merit was [b]the foundation of their confidence [emphasis added Dr. T.], whose feelings could neither be changed by any man or set of men. It is prospering and I rejoice. I hope they may ever keep the standard high and press on with a calm, silent and unconquerable energy. Based upon no unjust principle, formed for noble purposes, all that is necessary to secure complete success is an unflinching determination to pursue steadily the track in which we started.

In regard to matters here, we are getting along finely; every sail unfurled, ten knots an hour, the disciples of Coke increase. I think our class numbers 33 at present; the same number you will perceive that belonged to our class at Oxford. Whether my destiny is in any way connected with that number or not I cannot say, but at least here is a remarkable coincidence. I attended the meeting of the Tipacanoe [sic] Club this afternoon. We had four fine speeches. Pendleton, Judge Right, Johnson, and F. P. Thomas were the speakers. I stood upon my feet from two till after sundown listening to them, but the speakers entertained me so well that I did feel tired. Judging from the evidence we have in this place, I think Old Tip will run Martin a close race if he don’t distance him. The engineer of the white water canal, who was at the General’s a few days since told me that he (old Tip) received a bushel of letters every day from all parts of the Union, that they all breathed the same spirit and that of the most encouraging kind. All his friends here wear an air of confidence, for like a true general, he inspires confidence in his ranks and they all move on determined to conquer. Wit, sense, and sentiment flowed freely from the orators today, it was responded to by the dense crowd with loud bursts of applause.

Yours in sincerity,
D. Linton.

PS. Feb 10, 1840
This letter was written a long time ago. I have been complaining to myself because you had not answered it. We have been in the habit of writing in the office and leaving our letters on the table to be taken to the post office by one of us when he should go down, but in this instance my letter was laid away by Cary or Caldwell in a drawer amongst their papers where it has slumbered ever since. But in overhauling their papers today it was found and I have broken the seal to make this explanation.

Write if you please immediately upon the receipt of this, and yours shall be promptly answered. I have two more weeks to stay at this place, when I expect to be dubbed L. B. [Bachelor of Law. Dr. T.]

I remain in all sincerity
Your friend
D. Linton