PDA

View Full Version : quick question

XxGiNgErBrEaDxX
04-18-2007, 01:45 AM
Hi,
I received two bids -I liked both sororities- but chose the other at the last minute. I soon found out it was not what the girls played it up to be during recruitment and it wasn't what I expected in the sorority :( . I left within a matter of a week or two (way before bigs were assigned or pledge pins handed out).
I would like to know if I could go through recruitment again with the other sorority, eventhough I didn't sign their bid. Can this be done? I have to wait a year anyways to re-rush right?

KSUViolet06
04-18-2007, 02:06 AM
It is a National Panhellenic Conference rule that you have to wait a year before going through rush again. However, no one can guarantee you that the other sorority will offer you a bid again next year, since you already declined once.

XxGiNgErBrEaDxX
04-18-2007, 02:16 AM
I'm aware of the wait a year thing, but, it is possible then...

XxGiNgErBrEaDxX
04-18-2007, 02:19 AM
btw thanks for replying to my post :)

KSUViolet06
04-18-2007, 02:22 AM
Being able to rush and actually getting a bid to a sorority are 2 different things.

If you wait a year, YES you can rush again. In order for you to be able to JOIN the other sorority, they would have to give you a bid again. I do not know if the sorority will give you a bid AGAIN because you picked another sorority over them LAST year. I've NEVER heard of a sorority offering a girl a bid after she turned them down before.

AlethiaSi
04-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Being able to rush and actually getting a bid to a sorority are 2 different things.

If you wait a year, YES you can rush again. In order for you to be able to JOIN the other sorority, they would have to give you a bid again. I do not know if the sorority will give you a bid AGAIN because you picked another sorority over them LAST year. I've NEVER heard of a sorority offering a girl a bid after she turned them down before.

I've seen it happen on my campus, after they rush, they usually explain what happened (or we ask) and why they left the other group. During the bid process, we consider her previous experience and how committed she appears. Usually she would come to the house knowing one of our girls, so we take that into account... I mean... its not a common practice to give these kinds of bids out... but i've seen it happen (we're also a smaller campus so we don't have the same kind of numbers that a larger campus would)

So, i think your chances might depend on your situation... you can PM me if ya want

AOE2AlphaPhi
04-19-2007, 01:39 AM

I've seen it happen on my campus too. The girl had almost all of her friends in the sorority she had turned down and spent the year clearly wishing she were in that one, so they accepted her the second time around. Of course, I do go to a TINY school, where greeks and nongreeks coexist a lot...

XxGiNgErBrEaDxX
04-25-2007, 11:45 PM
I've seen it happen on my campus, after they rush, they usually explain what happened (or we ask) and why they left the other group. During the bid process, we consider her previous experience and how committed she appears. Usually she would come to the house knowing one of our girls, so we take that into account... I mean... its not a common practice to give these kinds of bids out... but i've seen it happen (we're also a smaller campus so we don't have the same kind of numbers that a larger campus would)

So, i think your chances might depend on your situation... you can PM me if ya want
We're one of the "top ten party school" campuses, so yeah, we're not small. Now I have several friends in that sorority and they said that I should rush again next year. Ofcourse that doesn't mean I'll automatically get in or anything, but it doesn't hurt in trying right? And if they ask me why I left the other group, well I'll just tell them exactly how it went down. Think positive I say.

Buttonz
04-26-2007, 12:28 AM
I'm assuming you went through informal or COR, right? Otherwise, how did you recieve more then one bid, unless it's locals your talking about.

I'd be wary if I knew that someone that we gave a bid to turned it down, and then depledged within a week or two....but that's me.

Give it another shot, you never know.

XxGiNgErBrEaDxX
04-27-2007, 01:14 AM
...nope, it definitely was formal with national sororities. We got to choose which houses we wanted to check out and attend as many of their parties as we want to. If any of the parties' times clashed, you'd choose the one you liked more and attend their party to show them your preference. Next the invitation only parties and bid day.

btw-Thanks for all the feedback ya'll!

XxGiNgErBrEaDxX
04-27-2007, 02:28 AM
How did you receive two bids during formal recruitment?

:confused: actually since going to each sorority on campus wasn't "mandatory" it probably wasn't formal...right? But it wasn't COB...we had to go through the whole process, y'know. COB started after bid day, but only certain sororities decided to do it.

Sorry for the confusion with formal/informal:o

AGDee
04-27-2007, 06:38 AM
Now that many campuses are moving to partially structured or minimally structured recruitment methods, the lines are more blurred and things can be done very differently. It's going to take a while before everybody understands how these work. On most campuses, I imagine they will still refer to it as "formal recruitment", even though it's actually PSR or MSR because there is still a set time period during which occurs and it's not quite like COR.

Buttonz
04-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Now that many campuses are moving to partially structured or minimally structured recruitment methods, the lines are more blurred and things can be done very differently. It's going to take a while before everybody understands how these work. On most campuses, I imagine they will still refer to it as "formal recruitment", even though it's actually PSR or MSR because there is still a set time period during which occurs and it's not quite like COR.

From the way that I took PSR and MSR though you still could only get one bid. Seeing as how she was able to recieve more then one bid, it was probalby informal.

I am pretty sure they do traditional formal @ her school as well.

lauralaylin
04-27-2007, 11:24 AM
From the cheat sheet on all four styles that I have, it says that there is no bid matching for MSR. Therefore, I would assume that a woman could receive more than one bid that way.

I've also heard of schools that have very formalized informal recruitments. That could be a possibility here as well.

AGDee
04-27-2007, 11:41 PM
I've been seeing all kinds of interpretations of the new formats, but, one of them is even "Informal", which would be like COB but I've seen some campuses do this and still have a time limit to it.