PDA

View Full Version : Confused about pledging in the Divine Nine

MadXG
04-05-2007, 02:14 AM
I am a male student at a HBCU that has 7 of the Divine Nine. Each org is active on and off campus. Just watching the fun and excitement greeks have during the experience is what makes we wanna join but thats not the only reason why. Being the only one in my immediate family to attend college i also want to be able to say i done something. I would go undergrad to be able to enjoy the experience of pledging undergrad but my problem is that i am rolling into finishing my undergrad and some situations arose to where the frat org i am interested in is currently on suspension so really i have no choice unless i add one more semester to my undergrad. Its not the fact that i want to just be a greek, its 1. i want to be involved on campus some how 2. Why not go greek if you join an org on campus, not just for the entertainment but for experience 3. Admist of all the other situations that have been happening with BGLOs(hazing, fights, etc), they are involved wether it be on campus or in the community and being apart of something like that would, well should, make a person want to join that organization. But then the downfall is that hazing s**t doesn't fly too much with me like when i played sports in high school i mean we picked with the freshman, who doesn't, but i aint about to beat the hell out of them for no reason thats stupid. I feel the same way about pledging, if i were to be in that situation and some guy wants to hit me we can square off and box because i refuse to be beat by some other man other than GOD himself and violence isn't in his reputation. So really what i am saying that is the experience worth the pain of me having to pay all that money(i'm a business major don't ask) to wonder if my boxing skills are up to par? If that's the reason i'll try to go Pro-Am boxing. Does it sound like i want to be in it for the right reasons?

Any and all Greeks are welcome to respond because your suggestion are appreciated

banditone
04-05-2007, 02:54 AM
dood. i have no idea what you is talking about.. your talkin greek.

banditone
04-05-2007, 02:54 AM
(hehe. get it - he's talking "greek"... nevermind)

33girl
04-05-2007, 11:55 AM
I think you should go with the Pro-Am boxing.

aopirose
04-05-2007, 12:33 PM
I think you should go with the Pro-Am boxing.

I concur.

JonInKC
04-08-2007, 09:02 AM
i refuse to be beat by some other man other than GOD himself and violence isn't in his reputation.

Read the Old Testament.

Senusret I
04-08-2007, 09:25 AM
I am a male student at a HBCU that has 7 of the Divine Nine. Each org is active on and off campus. Just watching the fun and excitement greeks have during the experience is what makes we wanna join but thats not the only reason why. Being the only one in my immediate family to attend college i also want to be able to say i done something. I would go undergrad to be able to enjoy the experience of pledging undergrad but my problem is that i am rolling into finishing my undergrad and some situations arose to where the frat org i am interested in is currently on suspension so really i have no choice unless i add one more semester to my undergrad. Its not the fact that i want to just be a greek, its 1. i want to be involved on campus some how 2. Why not go greek if you join an org on campus, not just for the entertainment but for experience 3. Admist of all the other situations that have been happening with BGLOs(hazing, fights, etc), they are involved wether it be on campus or in the community and being apart of something like that would, well should, make a person want to join that organization. But then the downfall is that hazing s**t doesn't fly too much with me like when i played sports in high school i mean we picked with the freshman, who doesn't, but i aint about to beat the hell out of them for no reason thats stupid. I feel the same way about pledging, if i were to be in that situation and some guy wants to hit me we can square off and box because i refuse to be beat by some other man other than GOD himself and violence isn't in his reputation. So really what i am saying that is the experience worth the pain of me having to pay all that money(i'm a business major don't ask) to wonder if my boxing skills are up to par? If that's the reason i'll try to go Pro-Am boxing. Does it sound like i want to be in it for the right reasons?

Any and all Greeks are welcome to respond because your suggestion are appreciated

Forcus on your academics first. If the organization is suspended, there's nothing you can do.

And believe me, you do NOT want to be one of those people that extends their college careers for the "chance" to pledge. Those people get no respect, either.

Scones
04-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Being involved on campus is a good enough reason to join a fraternity. But what hails over all reasons, is the friends you will make and the experience you will have. Certainly choose a house that will fit you. I'm sure out of seven, there is one that feels the same way you do about pledging and hazing. If not, I'm sure there are many national fraternities who might be interested in helping you start a chapter at your school that adheres to a strict no-hazing policy. Either way you go about it, going Greek will be the best decision you will ever make.

DSTCHAOS
04-19-2007, 01:52 PM
I agree with Senruset.

Reds6
04-19-2007, 02:15 PM

Clearly you're not an English major.

Senusret I
04-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Being involved on campus is a good enough reason to join a fraternity. But what hails over all reasons, is the friends you will make and the experience you will have. Certainly choose a house that will fit you. I'm sure out of seven, there is one that feels the same way you do about pledging and hazing. If not, I'm sure there are many national fraternities who might be interested in helping you start a chapter at your school that adheres to a strict no-hazing policy. Either way you go about it, going Greek will be the best decision you will ever make.

This is actually not good advice in this particular situation. He has already made up his mind which organization he wants to pledge and that option is not available to him. In NPHC orgs we do NOT advise people to just pledge whatever else is available, as we have alumni/ae and graduate chapters.

BlueNYC2
04-19-2007, 04:48 PM
yo, aint nothin wrong wit coming in thru Grad chapter. I did, and there are a number of other NPHC members on here that did. and becoming a member of the org you have in mind is more than just being involved on campus, but in the surrounding community also. and if you come in thru grad chapter, you can still support that grad chapter's undergraduate chapter(s) events as well. I do that with the 4 undergrad chapters my chapter sponsors.

1908Revelations
04-19-2007, 04:51 PM
yo, aint nothin wrong wit coming in thru Grad chapter. I did, and there are a number of other NPHC members on here that did. and becoming a member of the org you have in mind is more than just being involved on campus, but in the surrounding community also. and if you come in thru grad chapter, you can still support that grad chapter's undergraduate chapter(s) events as well. I do that with the 4 undergrad chapters my chapter sponsors.

That is so true! I am an undergraduate and the graduate chapter that is over my chapter actually supervises 5 chapters.

12dn94dst
04-19-2007, 05:04 PM
I agree with Senusret I also.

You mentioned joining a fraternity as a means of being involved on campus. Are there NO OTHER clubs/activities on campus that are active, notable and serving? And why did you waiting until your senior year to become involved anyway? :confused: The implied lack of involvement on campus isn't something we typically look for in someone wanting to join.

Lastly, as one who holds a degree in business, I suggest you sharpen your communications skills. It's very difficult to close any type of business deal if one is unable to clearly and efficiently make one's point.

deeznutz
05-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Very good advice but, I also have to agree with the latter.If YOU want to be more apart of the campus life on your yard or the community surrounding it then YOU need to go out there and find a cause that suits YOU and YOUR beliefs.Like the lady from DST advised YOU to do.Because if YOU have it in your heart to do something then act like nike's old slogan.....JUST DO IT!!!!because YOU dont need to belong to make a change.

provb.3:13-14

njfinest
09-08-2009, 11:56 AM
in response to MadXG, I think that particularly at HBCU's the pressure to join is really apparent at minority greek orgs are so prevalent on campus. i go to school in new england where there are no on campus chapters but there is a strong city wide chapter that a lot of students choose to participate in. i think that if you want to be part of campus life and really get involved, you don't need greek organizations. i'm the first person to go to college from my family as well, on full scholarship no less and while the prospect of joining a greek organization is appealing to me, i know that i'm already a very active person in my university community regardless of being not being greek. i'm respected and accomplished, all on my own merit. i think that a lot of people join greek orgs because it is a tangible way to say you've experienced undergrad, potential networking possibilities, and brotherhood/sisterhood. but you can have all of that without being greek. for a lot of people, being greek makes you a stronger and more accomplished person, but i don't see the point of joining an organization with such a strong reputation if you don't already feel strong and accomplished on your own. another reason why i disagree so much with hazing.
it practically preys on weak and needy individuals who feel marginalized by a greater community and lacking solidarity. don't you think that this is the perfect person to haze? they are already lacking something in their lives thus making them more willing to humiliate themselves to be part of something bigger. if these organizations wanted only the best, why not use process that isn't demeaning, because let's get real..a person with something to be proud of and healthy self-confidence wouldn't let anyone crap on them for anything...especially to be part of an organization that might repel you in the end.

knight_shadow
09-08-2009, 12:00 PM
in response to MadXG, I think that particularly at HBCU's the pressure to join is really apparent at minority greek orgs are so prevalent on campus. i go to school in new england where there are no on campus chapters but there is a strong city wide chapter that a lot of students choose to participate in. i think that if you want to be part of campus life and really get involved, you don't need greek organizations. i'm the first person to go to college from my family as well, on full scholarship no less and while the prospect of joining a greek organization is appealing to me, i know that i'm already a very active person in my university community regardless of being not being greek. i'm respected and accomplished, all on my own merit. i think that a lot of people join greek orgs because it is a tangible way to say you've experienced undergrad, potential networking possibilities, and brotherhood/sisterhood. but you can have all of that without being greek. for a lot of people, being greek makes you a stronger and more accomplished person, but i don't see the point of joining an organization with such a strong reputation if you don't already feel strong and accomplished on your own. another reason why i disagree so much with hazing.
it practically preys on weak and needy individuals who feel marginalized by a greater community and lacking solidarity. don't you think that this is the perfect person to haze? they are already lacking something in their lives thus making them more willing to humiliate themselves to be part of something bigger. if these organizations wanted only the best, why not use process that isn't demeaning, because let's get real..a person with something to be proud of and healthy self-confidence wouldn't let anyone crap on them for anything...especially to be part of an organization that might repel you in the end.

Umm...you're responding to a post from April 2007.

And why are you trying to give fraternity advice to someone if you're not Greek yourself? Keep it moving, please...