PDA

View Full Version : Yet another finance question

Miss{BooperDoo}
03-31-2007, 03:53 AM
Hey everybody :) I was just wondering, if you are going to school on loans, should you include the potential cost for soririties on the loan amount you request? I pay for college completely on my own (yes that means any loans I get are my own... no parents involved). And if so, how does that work? I don't want to stereotype anyone here, so my apologies ahead of time for anyone who might take offense to this, but I don't have a parent to give me money whenever I ask. So expenses are something I need to plan way ahead of time. I guess my main questions here are

1) How does paying for sororities work with loans?
2) About how much do you pay outside of dues (extra things you would go do that cost money) after joining?

Any information on this would be great :)

Thanks in advance!

Drolefille
03-31-2007, 11:26 AM
As far as paying with loans, your award from the school would have to be large enough to include them. Unless you're taking out non-Stafford loans as well, in which case your best bet is to talk to the VP of finance (or whoever is in charge of money) and just include that in your estimate of how much you need. Most of the time the loan people include your housing, etc. into the estimate but they may also include your parents' income. Figure that out with your school's financial aid office.

As for extras throughout the semester, I'd say that there are several variables. 1) will you be working? I've found that one's own income is usually a good way to regulate one's spending 2) How do you shop? Will you want to get EVERY T-shirt offered? 3) Are you a partier, do you think you'll be one. Alcohol is expensive. Particularly if you're at an event with a cash bar instead of drinking in someone's apartment. Four-Nine dollars a drink or two fifty a beer will add up very fast. 4) What does you sorority include in its' dues? Will formal cost you an extra 40 dollars extra or is it factored into dues?

I'd say I spent about a hundred an fifty extra a year. But I didn't drink so alcohol expenses were nil. And I often didn't buy a T-shirt for the switches with individual fraternities. (And I'm sure not short on T-shirts either). My formal was included, and I worked so I had extra income. And I can't tell you now if that number is completely accurate, it just feels about right, it could very well have been more.