PDA

View Full Version : Majors

Undeclared
08-02-2000, 05:07 PM
ok, i am stressing out so much!! this year we have to declare our majors, and i still have no idea what i want to do. i don't want to sound selfish, but making a lot of money is important to me(it comes second to doing something that i enjoy!) i would rather be poor and happy than rich and unhappy, but i was hoping someone had an idea of a major that was somewhat easy, and where there is an opportunity to make lots of money(besides doctors or lawyers...thats not for me.) i heard something about pharmacists that make $75,000-$100,000 a year, but science isn't my strong point. any ideas????

SoCalGirl
08-02-2000, 05:36 PM
!!!!ECONOMICS!!!!!!!BUSINESS!!!!!!FINANCE!!!!

Econ was my fall back major. Learn how to make money & then charge people to do it.

I LOVE AMERICA$$$$$$$

[This message has been edited by SoCalGirl (edited March 04, 2001).]

Birdee
08-02-2000, 05:37 PM
interesting question. i'm majoring in sociology, but i have no idea how much money you make from that or even what jobs you can get from majoring in it...i am only studying it b/c i find it interesting. if anyone has info on sociology, i would appreciate it. good luck finding a major..it's an important decision and it's one we all stress out about but whatever you pick should work out for the best.

Undeclared
08-02-2000, 05:48 PM
SoCalGirl...sounds like a great way to make some money. is economics hard? i'm not too familiar with it so what exactly do you learn in that class? thanks for the help!!!

AXPAlum
08-02-2000, 09:13 PM
Nothing wrong with the Liberal Arts majors. It always leaves you open for any type of job. But if you're looking for money, first you want to consider what you enjoy doing. For instance, many people here obviously enjoy using the internet and computers. Why not try computer science. You'll be able to use a computer all the time and programmers are in such high demand that you'll have more money than you'll know what to do with. Figure out what makes you happy, and eventually you'll discover the answer.

AXPAlum

Christin
08-02-2000, 09:29 PM
i know how it feels to not have a major yet. i am in the same boat...and its not a pleasant thing. i think my problem is that i don't know what a lot of majors are(for example, i have no idea what an engineer is). sometimes i feel so lost, but im trying not to dwell on it too much(at least not for now!) does anyone know how u can figure out what a major means(for example..engineering, computer science, etc) sometimes i feel soooo not smart! well, if u can help i would appreciate it.

tickledpink
08-03-2000, 12:02 AM
From what I've seen so far, Computer Science or Engineering. If I'm not mistaken, you can make LOTS of money in Information Technology, depending on what company you go for. Plus, the demand is high. Systems change often, but you can always take continuing education courses to keep yourself current (can you tell I want to learn more about this area myself?)

Any IT people out there that can assist?

mwedzi
08-03-2000, 12:48 AM
I'm with AXPalum and tickledpink. Various computer studies or engineering are the way to go. I majored in anthropology because I liked it and I kinda regret it. Don't worry about your major being too difficult. As long as you can handle it, it will only last about 3 years and you will get many more years of benefit.

SoCalGirl
08-03-2000, 01:17 AM
I personally found Econ easy, interesting & fun. It helps to not be scared of math. You don't have to be a math whiz but if it intimidates you there could be trouble.

You learn how the economy works, how businesses decide what price to charge and quantity to produce. You can specialize in marketing, advertisintg. Anything!

Check out your school's catalog. They should have some sort of intro to business or econ class. You can always declare it and then change later if you hate it.

I agree with everyone else in that you should major in what you enjoy. I (shallowly) enjoy money. So Econ was best for me at my school. If I had known I was going to end up in it though, I would have gone to a different school and picked a more specific major. My school is all about pre-med & engineering.

Eclipse
08-03-2000, 01:06 PM
Econ major here too!! Although I did not find it particularly hard, I did not enjoy it. Too much theory for me! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

If you are not a techie kind of person (IT/Engineering), then I would suggest a liberal arts degree and focus on a career in sales. Fortune 500 sales reps can make really nice $$ and have extremely lucrative bonus plans. Know that you have to pay your dues 1st though (i.e. not going to come out making the money like IT folks!)

You may, however, find yourself changing your mind about money coming before something that you enjoy. I know several people who had the BOMB jobs, making a LOT of money who quit because of the high stress, boring work, mega travel, etc.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited August 03, 2000).]

Asia2000
08-03-2000, 01:51 PM
Anything technical, dealing with science or math heavily, will hold a high earning potential, both immediately out of school and in the long run.

I am worried because I love communications, but I am afraid I won't be able to find a job. I am minoring in business and spanish to fall back on as well. Everything needs business.

Eclipse
08-03-2000, 04:33 PM
Aisa2000,
Reading your response made me think of something...almost any major/interest can be translated in to major bucks if you have the talent, drive and determination (and a bit of grace from God). For instance, lots of people major in communications as you mentioned. Most do not make a lot of money, but some become the Bryant Gumbels and Barbara Walters of the world. You may sacrifice in the short term...but the long term pay offs! I am a trainer (corporate--not physical) and while I make a decent living, there are those who make more than $5,000 just for an hour long keynote speech (and they do about 40 - 50 a year--you do the math!)On the flip side, I know unmotivated not too bright PhDs who check out people at the library!

Oprah says do what you love and the money will follow (easy for her to say)!! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/tongue.gif

heatherh1981
08-03-2000, 05:27 PM
I thought about majoring in Sports Med.. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

Siobhan
08-03-2000, 09:16 PM
I'm working on a BA in History and PoliSci. I love these subjects however I don't intend on becoming a teacher or entering politics (if I did maybe I'd be the leader of the LiberalConservativeProWestProQuebecProTreeHugger party). In this day and age school doesn't end with your BA or BSc. Next year I'll be heading off to do a degree in PR. And believe there's lots of money in that right now http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

mwedzi
08-04-2000, 12:38 AM
Ah, yes. Graduate school. Planning on applying this year to applied linguistics. My undergrad was anthro, but there's very little money in it. Yes, money can be made from anything, but that's only a very small percentage of society, so I wouldn't count on it. Applied linguistics (linguistics + tesl) will give me many opportunities for travel to other countries and I might even be able to get a job in my own country.

Bottom_Line
08-04-2000, 11:42 AM
I would like to offer one word of caution when choosing your major. Do you remember the last time the economy was bad? Neither do I. There have been ups and downs, but for the most part the economy has been strong since many of us were inelementary or middle school. Eventually all good things will end and this is when your decision will hold the most importance. I will be getting a degree in Mechanical Engineering in the spring (one more year to party) and fully plan on taking some risks while the economy is strong. Sales offers excellent opportunities to earn big money in commissions if your dedicated. Make no mistake, the engineering curriculum is one of the hardest, most intense undergraduate degree's available ( I envy the amount of free time that my friends in the buisness school have). The advantage is that you do not need to enroll in grad school. Engineers of all sorts are in such high demand that 4 year undergrads even with low GPA's are still getting decient starting offers ($50K + benifits). I highly recomend Engineering but it certainly isn't the easy way out.

Queencece
08-04-2000, 04:09 PM
I HAVENT DECLARED A MAJOR YET AND IM A FRESHMAN/SOPHOMORE. I HAVE UNTIL THE END O SOPHOMORE YEAR TO DECLARE. MY MAJOR OF CHOICE IS CALLED ADMINISTRATION OF JUSTICE OR ADJ. ITS FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT AND GOING TO THE DEA, CIA, FBI OR BECOMING A POLICE OFFICER. AND THOUGH I WOULD MINOR IN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY AND ALSO IF POSSIBLE MINOR IN GOVERNMENT TO BACK UP MY MAJOR. THE CAREER PATH THAT I HAVE CHOSEN IS TO BE AN FBI AGENT IN THE MISSING PERSONS UNIT...SO THATS MY $19.81 CENTS ON THIS ISSUE.
PEACE AND ONE
QUEENCECE

[This message has been edited by Queencece (edited August 04, 2000).]

Alumnus who cares
08-04-2000, 06:05 PM
I majored in sociology in undergrad and it was a waste of time and money. Sure, it was kind of interesting and the course work was not too difficult or overwhelming. But there was one little fact that I overlooked when I chose my major, which was not having a job, much less a career, when I graduated. I really didn't put any thought into choosing to major in sociology; it was just a subject that I was kind of interested in. I'm sure you've heard various versions of the following joke:

The engineering major asks, "How does it work?"
The science major asks, "Why does it work?"
The accounting major asks, "How much will it cost?"
The sociology major asks, "You want fries with that?"

Can you detect just a little bit of self-pity on my part? Well, I didn't work at McDonald's after I graduated, but I did work in a bank for 3 1/2 years, which is not much better. I'm currently working on my MBA, which means I'm finally getting the kind of degree I SHOULD have gotten 4 years ago.

So my advice would be, choose a major that is interesting to you, but make sure it's a major that will at least help you get a job so you can put food on your table.

etienneSAI
08-04-2000, 06:46 PM
i'm the only music major so far! i'm a double major with a minor. flute performance and music education with a minor in classical opera. talk about using your degree for a placemat...but it' what i want to do and i know i'll make it. see you in carnegie hall!

etienne

------------------
"red is the color of music and has been since the very earliest of times. the caps of faeries and musicians are well-nigh always red."~*~w.b.yeats

"I think that happiness is when you can let yourself feel every emotion you want at any time instead of being a lying little fuck." - Tori Amos

tickledpink
08-04-2000, 09:37 PM
Etiennesai, I admire your passion. Here's my saga. I started as a music major also because I love music. However, during my freshman year I found there was not alot of money there, so music quickly became a hobby. Now, I do have a Communications degree, and while I communicate on a daily basis http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.giffor a telephone company, I hardly think that's what the Communications department had in mind. I found that to start, there isn't that much money in it, but not to worry Asia2000, as Eclipse said, if you are willing to sacrifice for a while, you can make $$ in this field. While I went for the $$ rather than sacrifice for the major, you must follow your heart.

------------------
>>>"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised... Proverbs 31:29-30

Eli
08-04-2000, 11:29 PM
tickledpink you hit it right on target when you said, "you must follow your heart."

How many people here want to get a job for fun, rather than money? (I see many people here are only concerned with monetary gain). Life is about having fun, life is simply a game.... Not to sound hateful, its especially scary that some people want to be doctors because they make money... you must love your patients, not the money.

My Major is business administration... however I feel i may take a double major and go into architecture too. I spend hundreds of hours each month just reading about various points of architecture; I LOVE designing houses!!

Easy E

[This message has been edited by Eli (edited August 04, 2000).]

etienneSAI
08-04-2000, 11:46 PM
i think i can truly, honestly say that i'm not in my career for the money. i always tell myself that i'll stop music when it stops being fun, when i stop enjoying it. music is the exhalation of the soul and that is something that should always be fun and always be enjoyed. when that is taken away, it loses its passion and that's when it stops being part of you. my music is so important to me, that it will hopefully never reach that point. besides, if you don't love what you do, how could you do it whole-heartedly?

etienne
sigma alpha iota

------------------
"red is the color of music and has been since the very earliest of times. the caps of faeries and musicians are well-nigh always red."~*~w.b.yeats

"I think that happiness is when you can let yourself feel every emotion you want at any time instead of being a lying little fuck." - Tori Amos

Asia2000
08-05-2000, 02:10 AM
I know the story about doing what you love, not for the money. If I wanted to do what I love, I wouldn't be in college. I dont' need college do learn about photography, ride horses, things like that.

I am going to college, so I can get a job and make money so that I don't have to struggle for the rest of my life.

Yeah, my comm major does have huge potential. But, no immediate pay offs -- which worries me a lot. I am thinking about getting my MBA as well. I don't want my comm degree to head in the road of Barbara Walters though. That's not the industry I wanted to go into. More into publicity, PR, behind the scenes things. I actually love the fashion/cosmetic industry.

Anybody in this field, going into this field, send me an email. I'd be curious to chat.

mwedzi
08-05-2000, 10:12 AM
Asia2000, I totally agree with you. The real reason most go to college is so you can get a job and actually buy a house and car and not live with your parents forever.

Problem is, I think if I have to do anything related to engineering or economics 8 hours a day for the rest of my life, I might very well lose my mind. And for the past year, I've really had my heart set on going to grad school in applied linguistics so I can teach English to adults. It has neither huge immediate financial pay-offs nor many prospects for big pay down the road. But it will be enough for me to live reasonably comfortably (I think), have some free time, not be under constant stress, and have abundant travel opportunities (I think there are more jobs for ESL teachers outside of the states than in them). Those things are really important to me, so I had to compromise on the money aspect a little. I guess very few things in this life are perfect.

Honeybee
08-05-2000, 02:26 PM
asia, i completely agree w/ you about being in college for a good job to make money. i think eli has it wrong when she says that it's scary that people are just interested in earning money. news flash:that's the whole point of college-noone would be there if you could magically get a great job. some of us would like to live comfortably and not have to worry about when our next paycheck is coming.

SilverTurtle
08-05-2000, 06:50 PM
I started off as a Music Performance major (TUBA!!). And it did kind of stop being fun.. I was spending way too much time 'learning' about things that weren't beneficial to my performance. So, I eventually switched majors to Communications (speech, radio, tv, film...) (although I did keep a Music Minor, and music became a lot of fun again for me). I'm planning on going to grad school next fall (if all goes as planned http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif) for gender + pop culture studies . My ultimate goal is to teach undergrad communications courses.

But I'm not in a super hurry to get there. It is nice to get a break from school after 17 years of it. I have a job that's sort of related to my major if you can stretch your imagination, although there's lots of potential to move up and i can stay w/ the company @ any of my choices for graduate school.

Anyways, do something you at least enjoy a little bit. Doing it ONLY for the money is really only hurting you in the long run. But go for something that you can survive doing.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity (http://www.phibeta.com)
Phi chapter (http://homepages.go.com/~phibetaphichapter/index.html)

equeen
08-07-2000, 05:18 PM
Oooh, I will be completely biased when I say go for engineering! Chemical engineering is extrememly versatile, you can work in a variety of industries and in a variety of capacities. A good amount of $$ in it! Computer engineering automatically gets you big bucks. Of course, there's that tiny detail of going to school and working your tail off for a few years (v. few opportunities to party till dawn, unless you're extremely brilliant, and don't have to study into the wee hours of the morning.)

Now that I think about it, it's a wonder that I've done anything at all besides school. Where did I get the time??

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies (http://www.alpha-sigma-kappa.org)

mwedzi
08-07-2000, 11:37 PM
That's it. To hell with grad school in linguistics! I need a job!

But equeen, here's the really, really, really important question for me. What is job satisfaction like for those who go into engineering, computer engineering, and computer science (if you know anything about the last)? I mean, working your butt off for a few years is one thing. That can be done. But what about the rest of your life?

I know you will be biased because it's your major so I guess you will be expecting happiness from it. But anyway . . . And anyone else who has heard anything (especially if you know where I can find stats on job satisfaction), let me know.

Dewgirl
08-08-2000, 12:05 AM
i started off as a music major too. My official major was Music Theory, but they made me choose a performing area, too, so I chose voice (i had had like a year of choir but that was it). That is what pushed me out of it....I didn't want to be a musician, I wanted to STUDY MUSIC!!!!! The dept. didn't seem to understand that. So now I'm a history major...would you like fries with that?

As for the original person who was trying to decide their major though...don't worry about it too much...you can always choose something kind of generic, like communications, or business, and then later on change it to something more specific (ie. journalism, or economics) ALSO...if you're considering grad school...believe it or not it doesn't always really matter what your B.whatever is in... I know a girl who was an English major who is now in grad school for Poly Sci! Good luck!

Tiara98
08-08-2000, 12:38 AM
Undeclared:

Our prez is a CIS major. If I was undecided, I might do that. Big money there! (I'm a Nursing major....HARD WORK!)

------------------
Amanda M.
Secretary/Social Chair
Theta Sigma Alpha,Towson University

Asia2000
08-08-2000, 01:50 AM
I always push engineering majors myself when people ask because I assume the pay off is huge. But I read an article on some web site (monster.com??) where an engineer was saying how so many of them eventually go get their MBA's because their career just sort of, for lack of a better word, tops off eventually. I did't read a article all the way through, since it wasn't of that much interest to me, but has anyone else ever heard of such a thing?

Corbin Dallas
08-08-2000, 08:42 AM
The immediate payoff for Engineering is really good, around $45-50k, except for Civil Engineering. They start off on the low end of the scale, around $35k. When you become a Professional Engineer, you get a big pay boost, which is bigger for Civils, and puts them even with other Engineers. As far as Computer Science goes, you have to enjoy sitting in front of a computer typing in code all day. I did it last summer and hated it! In each engineering major, there are so many different fields you can go into, it's hard not to find a job you like. Many of my friends are going to grad school, most for MBA, and several others are going into the Air Force.

Anyway, although the money is good for engineering, I wouldn't have chosen it if I didn't like it. I would rather have a job I like than make great money. Not to say I wouldn't take a job that wasn't my dream job for the right money. I just couldn't stand to go to work every day knowing I would despise it, regardless how much I was making!

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.

equeen
08-08-2000, 05:15 PM
To answer your question, mwedzi, an engineering degree is worthwhile in and of itself only if you really really like working as an engineer. A lot people with BS engineering degrees go on to MBAs, true, because they like managing better than creating/maintaining. A lot do stay and work as engineers, or go on for higher degrees in engineering. It honestly depends on what you like. Honestly, I despise the engineering curriculum, but I loved my summer experiences working as a Process Engineer. I could never teach or do research, I realize...but I relish troubleshooting a process and finding ways to improves processes. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif Ultimately, whatever floats one's boat. Go for an engineering degree if you want to work as an engineer or work up through management in an engineering-based company, but don't go for engineering just for the dollars. That's the wrong way to go.

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies (http://www.alpha-sigma-kappa.org)

Artimis
08-10-2000, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by mwedzi:
But equeen, here's the really, really, really important question for me. What is job satisfaction like for those who go into engineering, computer engineering, and computer science (if you know anything about the last)? I mean, working your butt off for a few years is one thing. That can be done. But what about the rest of your life?

I'm an In-jin-er (Engineer that is http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif ) and have been in the field for a bit over 3 years. Engineer is defintly not for everyone. And I would even go to the extend that the different branches and aspects are not for every engineer. Like anything finding where you belong in the work force is important.

I entered college with pursuit of an aerospace engineering degree - not for the money but for the love of the field. Honestly, I didn't even realize how much engineers made until after I "declared" engineering. I don't regret any of those late nights, lack of sleep days.

Finding your "niche" and dedicating your career in that area is important. After 3 different departments, two different companies and states, I think i've finally found a place i can call home both in and outside of work.

As far as job satisfication, with any job you can get flustrated at the BS that goes around you. But the sense of completion and accomplishment you get from finishing a task and sometimes knowing what kind of effect it has is wonderful! My industry few engineers get to see the birth to production of a new vehcile. Here is to hoping!

Jennifer
"rocket scientist" extrodinare!

------------------

Beta Chapter (http://alpha-sigma-kappa.ou.edu/) Alumna and Founder

Sisters by nature; Friends by Choice

equeen
08-10-2000, 01:55 AM
~*LOL*~
..Sister, your enthusiasm for being a aero-e always has me smilin'...I can just see you saying, with that wide-eyed innocent smile: "Why yes, I am a rocket scientist!!

http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--