PDA

View Full Version : Local sororities and brother groups

James
02-14-2001, 11:54 AM
I was surfing the locals web ring and noticed that all the groups had a brother Fraternity attached to them that seemed to be important.

My questions are:

1. Do most local sororities have this trend?

2. Did many locals come into existance to hang out more formally with a specific fraternity?

AOX81
02-14-2001, 01:16 PM
We kind of have a brother fraternity. There was a local fraternity that was founded on our campus one year before we were founded and most of our founders were the girlfriends and sisters of the local fraternity. Hope this helps http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

33girl
02-15-2001, 08:56 PM
I've noticed that too, James. One school I remember looking at is Hope College where everyone is local and they all have the brother/sister thing. In a way I think it's kind of neat but in another way it might suck if you liked the sorority but hated the fraternity they hung out with.

I think on a lot of smaller campuses, even if everyone is national orgs end up pairing off, unofficially. I know this has been discussed before, but I don't think any nationals recognize "sister" or "brother" fraternities or sororities and somewhat discourage this (Zeta Phi Beta/Phi Beta Sigma notwithstanding). Am I right?

AOX81
02-16-2001, 10:09 AM
Just because they are kind of our brother fraternity doesn't mean that we do everything with them. A few girls in our sorority don't like some of the guys in that fraternity (ex-boyfriends) but they still come to the events that we do have with them. Actually the guys in fraternities at our school are not very happy with us right now because we like to hang out with fraternities at another school in our town.
I think that it is kind of funny because we used to have 4 sororities (now we only have 3)and 2 fraternities and the sororities were always battling for attention from the 2 fraternities.

I just had to throw this in...there is a local Alpha Theta Chi at Hope College too!!

prdlocal
02-19-2001, 04:58 PM
Phi Chi Epsilon is a local fraternity at UW-Whitewater. We love our Phi Chi's!!! We helped in the founding of their chapter in 1924, 25 years after we were founded. We hang out all the time, and do lots of stuff together. Lot's of Alpha's (my sorority) are married to or date Phi Chi's. They are awesome, they're the 30 older brothers I never had!

damasa
03-01-2001, 03:44 AM
seems to be a lot of local fraternities/soro. around wisconsin schools
Phi Sigma Delta here..local to UW-Milwaukee

prdlocal
03-05-2001, 04:36 PM
Yeah, there are a lot of locals in Wisconsin. I think part of that is that Nationals started in and were more popular in the south, out east... and west. Kinda leaving the Midwest, well... to milk cows or form local chapters. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif

DGPhoney
03-18-2001, 03:33 AM
yeah a lot of Locals and nationals too have brother fraternities , unfortunately we DGP gals don't have a brother fraternity http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif
We do a lot of events with a variety of fraternity's though, but none is affliated specificly with us
One and Alwyas Much Sisterly and Greek Love
Delta Gamma Pi MC sorority

Sisterplum
04-05-2001, 04:28 PM
I've never really heard of having a "brother" fraternity! Wow! Our sorority tries to do things with every fraternity on campus! We actually had a chat about this a while ago because we started doing things with just one fraternity and we subsequently became known as the "Sig girls".....something we didn't want! We try to affiliate ourselves with every male greek organization on campus (more friends that way too! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif) instead of concentrating on one specific organization!

Is this a normal thing to do on other campuses? Have a brother organization?!

------------------
Vera
Sister Plum #13
Iota Beta Chi Sorority
Webmaster
http://welcome.to/iotabetachi

ChiPiSandi
04-07-2001, 12:47 AM
Here in Toledo there are certain fraternities and sororities that tend to hang out together, but we stay away from being official or anything. We are the only local sorority and there is one other local fraternity, so we tend to do stuff together (they especially help us out since we are just getting started). We like to do things with different fraternities but of course there'll always be our fave ones!
Sandi
http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

kappadiva
04-11-2001, 11:42 AM
We do. Our brother frat is Gamma Lamda Sigma. They were founded before us, and now we are tight like glue. All of the sororities that are on our campus, must have soror and a frat. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif

vixenkappa
04-16-2001, 07:15 PM
Our sorority has two fraternal organizations that are concidered our brother fraternity. Alpha Gamma Rho oor a group known as Farm house I think. I know at WVU Sigma Alpha and Alpha Gamma Rho are linked as Brother/Sister. we only do a few things together. We have a bachellor/ bachellorette auction and some rush events. But lately we have been doing things with Delta Chi...

------------------
"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow."
Helen Keller

BronxZete
06-01-2001, 03:52 PM
Yeah i definitely notice that locals hang on to a specific fraternity and consider them theur brother fraternity. At Marist our local sorority is Kappa Lambda Psi and they consider Zeta Psi their brother fraternity

Tara Archer
06-04-2001, 04:26 PM
James: I am local on my campus and we have a brother fraternity. Our brother is a national though, I don't know how this is done on other campuses.

Tara Archer
06-04-2001, 04:28 PM
AOX :
we don't hang out with our brothers at all. There was an incident and now we don't even mix with them. This is saddening, but you cannot change your brothers I suppose..Family is forever...hehe

Tom Earp
06-04-2001, 06:49 PM
Being a local can be very tough unless you are very strong! My school is while not anti Greek is tough.
My LXA Chapter help start a local Soro. on our campus. They had a chance to affiliate with Phi Mu. They thought they were bigger than. Unfortunatly, they are no longer on campus!
But in rebutal, I can also say the ADP is no longer there! I just found out the the KD chapter closed after 3 yrs.
This now again leaves us with 3 Soros. AGD, ASA, and Tri-Sigs. This a Kansas State U with 6500 students. I look at other Kansas State U.s that hve less enrollement with more Greek Organizations on campus. I for one am always glad to see a new house on campus. This is the only way Greeks will grow!
Remember, I have been off campus since 1967.

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)

KTE Kitten
07-25-2001, 11:32 PM
I'm a memember of a local sorrity of Kappa Tau Epsilon. Also called the "little sisters to the Tekes". TKE was established on our campus in the 60's and they had a little sister organization called "the order of Diana"...in 1990 we switched the order of their letters and made them our own. We are an entirely seperate organization from them now, but we are still very close to them and do many community service and social activities with them.

cmichelle
08-15-2002, 12:54 AM
I'm part of a group that is starting a new local sorority on our campus. We don't have any local fraternities; that's kinda disappointing! I came from a smaller school where they only had 3 of each, and they tended to pair up, but nothing was official.

chideltjen
08-18-2002, 12:00 AM
we were actually a lil sister program in the 60s to Delta Chi (hense the backwards letters...) We still have close ties with them and tend to refer to them as our "founders" or "brothers" but we don't do EVERYTHING with them. But we love our lil sweetheart Cliff.

Damaris
08-20-2002, 10:25 AM
I'm a Co-Founding Mother of a sorority in NYC. We were founded in 1995 and although the Founding Mother's had a strong bond with the brothers of Alpha Phi Delta at my school, we were never considered as being affiliated with them.

We've actually tried very hard to not affiliate with ourselves with any fraternity for fear that our organization will lose its own identity.

AlphaXiGirl31
08-20-2002, 11:20 AM
Sigma Nu isn't officially Alpha Xi Delta's brother fraternity--they helped us way back when we were founded, but it's not an official brother/sister thing (Alpha Xi Delta DOES NOT allow that).

DHgirl
08-21-2002, 10:17 PM
Tau Delta Phi is kind of our local's Adam's rib. Rumor has it--history for the DH chapter of TDP and DH (my sorority) can't seem to figure out exactly what happened--lesson to all, keep good books--but the gist is sometime back in the 80's, or so, TDP national got word the chapter at my school was pledging women. TDP, not being particularly co-ed, kicked them out and the DH chapter created a local sorority in their chapter name. Of course, all this has since blurred--six years ago, the last remaining active totally dissociated us from TDP and "reformed" the sorority. She even started the pledge class naming over again. And not being particularly fond of TDP, cut them out of the picture. So technically, TDP is our brother fraternity, but we're pretty much socially associated with the Zeta Psi boys in this current era.

I'm kind of with those sororities out there who don't want to be associated with a particular fraternity--I like the idea of having our own identity. But when there are only three greek orgs on a small campus, I guess it's really easy to see whose dating who. I still cringe when I hear my sorority refered to as property of the Zete's--particularly when it comes from a TDP or a Zete.

texas*princess
08-30-2002, 12:59 PM
I have read on some local sororities' websites that their local sororities were formed after certain fraternities headquarters decided to do away with "little sister" organizations. Maybe that's one way how local sororities had "brother" fraternities?

QTPiLady
05-07-2003, 03:03 PM
Omega Tau Pi are the sisters of Upsilon Phi Upsilon we were founded 4 years after them by them...

jonespichi
06-27-2003, 12:38 AM
us pi chi girls have had the same brother frat since there creation in 1967. we have parties w/ them but also w/ other frats too. we throw a co-alumni weekend and have songs about eachother. i think most of it has to do w/ having a big and little brother. it's a nice piece of our history that i enjoy about pi chi, but i don't think it's an essential part of being a sorority or fraternity. there have been tons of PDC/ITK marriages so i guess you could say we get along pretty well. lol:D

That1LoudChick
07-17-2003, 10:20 AM
Brothers of FDQ helped our founding sisters create FGP, but I don't think we neccessarily consider them our brother fraternity. We hang out with DUs a lot, but I'm pretty sure the same applies with them as it does with FDQ.