PDA

View Full Version : Going throught recruitment as a sophmore.

abercrombirgirl
12-16-2006, 11:23 PM
Hi, so i am new to this site and it has been very very helpful in answering almost all of the questions i have about recruitment, there are just a couple that i am still confused about and would love if some of you could help answer. I go to a large school that has a very large greek population and we started recruitment a couple weeks ago and i absolutley loved the first round. I was just curious as to if any of you knew if going through recruitment as a shophmore was harder than going through as a freshman because i have heard that most houses only want a much smaller number of sophmores than they do freshman. I was wondering if one this is true and if two, i'm not sure if you can answer this but why it is this way. Also prior to the end of this semester my gpa is a 2.9 but i am going to have a 3.4 for this semester so this will bring my cummulative to a solid 3.0, is this an acceptable gpa to be successful going through recruitment as a sophmore? and lastly i know this question is asked a lot but are recs crucial to being successful throughout the recruitment process, and if so can i have them sent in now even though the first recuritment party has started? I know that i have a lot of questions, and i would greatly appreciate any answers that anyone can post. thank you soooo much for your help, i hope to hear from you all soon!

AChiOhSnap
12-17-2006, 12:11 AM
Hi, so i am new to this site and it has been very very helpful in answering almost all of the questions i have about recruitment, there are just a couple that i am still confused about and would love if some of you could help answer. I go to a large school that has a very large greek population and we started recruitment a couple weeks ago and i absolutley loved the first round. I was just curious as to if any of you knew if going through recruitment as a shophmore was harder than going through as a freshman because i have heard that most houses only want a much smaller number of sophmores than they do freshman. I was wondering if one this is true and if two, i'm not sure if you can answer this but why it is this way. Also prior to the end of this semester my gpa is a 2.9 but i am going to have a 3.4 for this semester so this will bring my cummulative to a solid 3.0, is this an acceptable gpa to be successful going through recruitment as a sophmore? and lastly i know this question is asked a lot but are recs crucial to being successful throughout the recruitment process, and if so can i have them sent in now even though the first recuritment party has started? I know that i have a lot of questions, and i would greatly appreciate any answers that anyone can post. thank you soooo much for your help, i hope to hear from you all soon!

Hi, welcome to GC. I did my best to pick through your post, it was a bit confusing to be honest with you, but I think I can address everything you asked.

The answers to all of your questions depend on your school. All recruitments are SO different. It's actually pretty obvious where you go to school, but you can keep it a secret if you want. Whatever you feel comfortable with. Maybe someone who knows what recruitment is like at your school will PM you with specifics.

So the answers to your first and your last question are totally dependent on the school you go to and the policies of the individual chapters. Nobody can give you any better advice without knowing where you go to school, except to say that a rec letter never hurt anyone and that there's no harm in obtaining them if you can.

In terms of WHY sophomores are sometimes cut heavily...well, my best guess is that some chapters really prefer to have new member classes filled with freshmen women who will be paying dues for the full 4 years. If a TON of women go through recruitment and are fiercely competing for spots in new member classes, certain chapters might give preference to freshmen for economic reasons. That's my best guess, at least.

Regarding your second question: a 3.0 isn't fabulous but it probably won't get you automatically cut from houses due to their chapter policies....but that's not to say that your GPA won't matter, especially in a competitive recruitment. There's nothing you can really do about it now, so even if your GPA will work against you in some circumstances, don't worry about it. Just go through the rest of recruitment and have fun. Good luck, and start a recruitment thread if you want! :)

lauralaylin
12-17-2006, 10:02 AM
Another reason that sophmores are heavily cut is that the classes need to be about the same. One of the chapters I advise took a huge nm class last fall, which was great, but now the sophmore class is over half of the chapter size. So why would we want to take a sophmore at this point when we already have so many? When they graduate, the chapter is going to be much smaller than they'd have been in a long time, so I really want them to take mostly freshmen right now to try and balance things out. Of course we aren't going ignore someone stellar, but if we take a sophmore she better be offering a whole lot to the chapter.

Good luck with rush!

nlauren
12-17-2006, 02:33 PM
I think that it really depends on your chapter.

I just crossed over and 2 of my 7 pledge sisters are JUNIORS and the rest of us are sophomores.

If you have a lot to offer, it wont matter how old you are, its if they think you would be a good asset to the chapter and sorority.

Hope that helps
Good Luck!

OhSoSmoothKalyn
12-17-2006, 09:03 PM
As I said to my roommate who was a sophomore at the time when we were going through recruitment (I was Freshman)...

Be the best person you can be... Be yourself, show those sororities who you are and forget the rest ;)

As long as you're a good person and have a good time, then you're ok in my book...

A 3.0 is ok, and it is acceptable to Panhellenic standards, but by now you can't do anything about it, so relax... don't think of it as a competition (although it is)... but if you go into it as a competition, you're not focused on the real reason why you're there: to find your potential new sisters.

Be real and relax, and you'll do fine :)

Best of luck to you!

-OSSK