PDA

View Full Version : Could I get some advice?

whitelily
11-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Hello all.

I am trying to learn more about the alumni initiation process. I have a specific sorority in mind. I feel that the philanthropy and ideals of this group are reflected in my life. I had a slightly personal connection in college. Although, I never rushed. I was stupid and listened to my boyfriend/ex-fiance who convinced me that I wanted nothing to do with sorority life.

I know there are a lot of people who seek alumni initiation. I don't know many who make it into their desired group, though.

Any encouragement or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you so very much.

Tippiechick
11-28-2006, 09:57 PM
What is up with people crawling out of the woodwork to AI?

_Lisa_
11-28-2006, 10:11 PM
I hope that your personal connection with the GLO is through a person still involved. If you've showed an interest to those you know & they haven't invited you to AI then I'd say you aren't a good candidate for AI.

whitelily
11-28-2006, 10:26 PM
I hope that your personal connection with the GLO is through a person still involved. If you've showed an interest to those you know & they haven't invited you to AI then I'd say you aren't a good candidate for AI.

My connection was that I went through and was offered a bid from a group. I turned it down because of my ex's opinion on sorority life. I just want to be a part of this group. I knew it from the moment I met them. I have only been out of school for two years. But, I have since met some women in my field that are in this group and they reinforced the opinion I have of them as a whole.

tunatartare
11-28-2006, 10:30 PM
In your first post you say that you never rushed. In your second you say that you were offered a bid. This makes me think that you are not a good candidate for AI. It actually makes me quite glad that locals don't do AI.

whitelily
11-28-2006, 10:32 PM
In your first post you say that you never rushed. In your second you say that you were offered a bid. This makes me think that you are not a good candidate for AI. It actually makes me quite glad that locals don't do AI.

I never rushed. I went to a party and met the girls. I then was offered a bid at the end of the party. I did not go through rush.

Thanks for being so helpful. Gheesh. Is everyone on here so nice?

AlexMack
11-28-2006, 10:39 PM
I never rushed. I went to a party and met the girls. I then was offered a bid at the end of the party. I did not go through rush.

Sorry, we're all just a little jaded and sensitive over the subject lately. I hope you dug around in this forum to figure out why, it's become no man's land of late.
Any hints on your almer mater?

Unregistered-
11-28-2006, 10:41 PM

ALWAYS.

whitelily
11-28-2006, 10:44 PM
Sorry, we're all just a little jaded and sensitive over the subject lately. I hope you dug around in this forum to figure out why, it's become no man's land of late.
Any hints on your almer mater?

I prefer to keep my alma mater a secret. I have been advised to remain fairly discreet.

I will say that nobility is an important aspect of the group I so admire.

tunatartare
11-28-2006, 10:48 PM
I prefer to keep my alma mater a secret. I have been advised to remain fairly discreet.

I will say that nobility is an important aspect of the group I so admire.
So that narrows it down to Kappa or ZTA. Yup, you're being very discreet here.

whitelily
11-28-2006, 10:48 PM
ALWAYS.

I just don't understand the anomosity I am getting on here. Some have warned me. But, all I am trying to do is get some advice on the process. I am not out to destroy greek life. I am just here to seek some help.

Please don't bring your anger into this thread.

GDIfly
11-28-2006, 10:56 PM

AI is a touchy subject. Very touchy.

You say you have some colleagues who are in this organization. My suggestion would be to talk to them about AI. Some organizations encourage it and do it regularly, some do it rarely to never, but women who are members will either know or be able to get the information that you need about your opportunities better than a bunch of strangers on the internet who may or may not be familiar with the AI process of this group.

AlexMack
11-28-2006, 11:14 PM
I just don't understand the anomosity I am getting on here. Some have warned me. But, all I am trying to do is get some advice on the process. I am not out to destroy greek life. I am just here to seek some help.

Please don't bring your anger into this thread.

Did you not read and comprehend what I told you? Read the forum some more, look at the locked threads. Don't expect sunshine and roses here, I'm just saying. You seriously would be better off PMing a member of the org you're looking at.

_Lisa_
11-29-2006, 12:02 AM
My connection was that I went through and was offered a bid from a group. I turned it down because of my ex's opinion on sorority life. I just want to be a part of this group. I knew it from the moment I met them. I have only been out of school for two years. But, I have since met some women in my field that are in this group and they reinforced the opinion I have of them as a whole.

If those women wanted you to be part of their GLO they would have approached you about it-AI is not something that you should pursue just because you feel like you missed an opportunity in college.

Are you a respected member of your community? Have you donated lots of time or money to the GLO's philanthropy? No one is saying that you aren't a good person, but a lot of GLO's seek their AI's, not the other way around.

navane
11-29-2006, 12:54 AM
Hello all.

I am trying to learn more about the alumni initiation process. I have a specific sorority in mind. I feel that the philanthropy and ideals of this group are reflected in my life. I had a slightly personal connection in college. Although, I never rushed. I was stupid and listened to my boyfriend/ex-fiance who convinced me that I wanted nothing to do with sorority life.

I know there are a lot of people who seek alumni initiation. I don't know many who make it into their desired group, though.

Thank you so very much.

Welcome. Have you read the thread titled "NPC Alumnae Intiation - Read This First"?

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/announcement.php?f=208

I'm curious, you mentioned that some people warned you about this forum. Is this to say that you've already been getting personal advice about AI from others? If so, I'm not sure why you're posting here asking for advice. What kind of "advice" were you hoping to receive?

If you wanted to ask something that you can't seem to find the answer for (that wasn't already covered by the thread linked above or by the other threads posted here), by all means, ask away. I just find it hard to help since your posts seem a little bit ambiguous.

.....Kelly :)

whitelily
11-29-2006, 01:00 AM
Welcome. Have you read the thread titled "NPC Alumnae Intiation - Read This First"?

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/announcement.php?f=208

I'm curious, you mentioned that some people warned you about this forum. Is this to say that you've already been getting personal advice about AI from others? If so, I'm not sure why you're posting here asking for advice. What kind of "advice" were you hoping to receive?

If you wanted to ask something that you can't seem to find the answer for (that wasn't already covered by the thread linked above or by the other threads posted here), by all means, ask away. I just find it hard to help since your posts seem a little bit ambiguous.

I have been getting private messages from people warning me about what I post on here. So, I have been trying to watch what I say. I have read the forum. I guess I am trying to test the waters before jumping in.

navane
11-29-2006, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the clarification. As you could see from the threads, some of the AIs here have been successful and some just ended up dropping out of their search. It's a tough road to take and I hope you find the outcome that is best for you!

Tom Earp
11-29-2006, 06:06 PM
# 1, ignore some of the snide,sharp, and inapropprite comments.

There really are people who are on GC here to be of help.

You have to make up your mind to do what you want to do and just do/go for it!:)

It can be an amazing experience as some have So Done AI and are verey loving Sisters of their Sororities.

I do like to put anyone one the spot, but navane and jill are two of the very best.

Why? They have been there, done it, and are very good at what they have done and accomplished!:)

_Lisa_
11-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Anyway whitelily, once you are contacted by a GLO who thinks you'll make a valuable member, I'm sure you'll find lots of support here.

Sister Havana
11-29-2006, 11:57 PM
So that narrows it down to Kappa or ZTA. Yup, you're being very discreet here.

I was thinking ADPi or Phi Mu because of the lion mascot. :)

CutiePie2000
11-30-2006, 12:15 AM

It sounds like you went through COB (Continuous Open Bidding) or what some people refer to as "informal rush" (including my alma mater, back in the day). Rushing (whether it be "formal recruitment" or COB) is essentially the Panhellenic concept of "mutual selection"; you meet them & they meet you, you see if you like them & they see if they like you....I'm sure you catch the drift.

I just wanted to mention that as you are seeking "alumnae initiation", not alumni initiation. Yes, it sounds nit-picky, but if you are clear on the nomenclature, it just kinda sounds more like you know what you are talking about.

If you are still in contact with that person who is now an alumna, they might be a good option to start with. Somewhere along the line, you will likely need a sponsor for membership, in order to 'seal the deal'. They could also serve as an introduction to the alumnae chapter, which is better than going in "cold" (IMO). I think it depends on where you live (regionally speaking) but if you are approaching the group on your own recommendation, rather than being introduced via your sorority friend, you could be in for a tough(er) journey.

valkyrie
11-30-2006, 01:56 PM
There really are people who are on GC here to be of help.

What kind of "help" do you mean, exactly?

ETA:
I have been getting private messages from people warning me about what I post on here.

I'm wondering why anybody would do this by PM instead of here. What's up with that?

GeekyPenguin
11-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Hello all.

Thank you so very much.

whitelily, I would strongly advise you to not discuss your AI pursuit with anyone on GC, even in PMs, except perhaps women who are members of that sorority. People on GC can come off as well-meaning, but many times they are not. Once you are a happily initiated member, if you are lucky enough to get to do so, come back and let us know what happened. :)

PenguinTrax
11-30-2006, 05:29 PM
<modhat>

Play nice, please.

</modhat>