PDA

View Full Version : Alumni Chair

noobishactz
11-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Hey,
Just wondering what type of events/activities for the Alumni have other Chapters done? Our Alumni Chair wants to step down next term and I have been helping him out and he is strongly recommending that I step into his position.
I spent my Thanksgiving Weekend generating the Hawaii Alumni Roster with their contact information.
We have a list serve specifically for the Alumni which is how we keep in contact with them. Although we have approximately 230 alumni who have either graduated from UH Manoa or currently live in Hawaii and there are only approximately 25 people in our list serve.
What are some ways that I will be able to actively get Alumni involved and get to know our brothers?

KSigkid
11-27-2006, 06:05 PM
My chapter has an alumni weekend every year that starts out with formal chapter (strictly ceremonial) and bar hopping on the first night. The next day is a football game, usually followed by an event at the house in the evening (poker, watching sports, etc.). On the last day is a brunch and alumni/undergrad roundtable.

Those events don't need to be strictly on alumni weekend. You can do BBQ's and other similar events throughout the year.

Something that has worked is getting a chapter listserve going (through Yahoo Groups or something similar) to keep alums in the loop, along with alumni newsletters. The main thing is to keep guys involved and keep them up to date, with opportunities to visit the chapter if they're available.

If you're having trouble tracking people down, get in contact with IMH and see if they have any contact lists for "lost" alumni.

AEKDB

noobishactz
11-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Those are all really great ideas. We have four alumni who help out our chapter. One is our DGM, the other is our AA, and the other two come in and out every once in a while.

As for the Listserv we have one with them I need to take over the admin side soon. And also I was thinking about starting to write a newsletter to them maybe bi-monthly or something.

I want to be able to have the Alumni be able to have some fun with our chapter also.

KSigkid
11-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Those are all really great ideas. We have four alumni who help out our chapter. One is our DGM, the other is our AA, and the other two come in and out every once in a while.

As for the Listserv we have one with them I need to take over the admin side soon. And also I was thinking about starting to write a newsletter to them maybe bi-monthly or something.

I want to be able to have the Alumni be able to have some fun with our chapter also.

That sounds good - the one thing I would say about the newsletter is, make it something you're putting time and effort into, even if it means you're not sending them out as frequently. Bi-monthly may be a bit much, what with school and everything else. You want it to be a quality product that the alumni will want to read when they get it.

I would say sports, or even Happy Hour events at local bars are a great way to get alumni and undergrads together in an environment that is fun for both groups.