PDA

View Full Version : SAI not greek?

CuriousWildcat
11-12-2006, 06:59 PM
I was talking to our president a few days ago and now I am confused.

For homecoming we have many activities that all of the greek organizations participate in, like paint the town blue, a window painting contest. While looking at the windows I noticed that TBS had done a window and then I wondered why SAI had not.
I asked our president about it and she said that we don't participate in alot of the things because we aren't actually greek. She said that it is something about having "women" in the name.

I am confused about how we are not greek but TBS is, and is it possible for SAI to be greek?

Thanks!

JUBILEE1903
11-20-2006, 01:27 PM
Hey sis,
I don't know where you got that information but Sigma ALPHA IOTAwe are GREEK, if you look in your Manual for Members its states that we are a greek music FRATERNITY for women, matter fact our organization was patterned off of the oldest GREEK society. Iota(ee-oo-ta) is the correct pronunciation of Iota if you actually speek to anyone Greek they will pronounce it Ee-oo-ta.Last I checked all of our letters are GREEK and technically our official name doesn't have "women" in it anymore.....If your president said that then she is SADLY misinformed. I hope this helps.

If you have any other questions feel free to email me at Militant_Symphony_3@yahoo.com

Crimsin84
11-27-2006, 10:02 PM
at my school, i'm very close with SAI, here at potsdam - home of the Crane School of Music - SAI and their brothers PMA are not part of our Greek World, yes we consider them fellow greeks but they don't participate in anything we do. they also don't raise money for the community that often b/c they're not mandated to by the ISC. SAI is also a female FRATERNITY which brings with it complications in ISC. at one time though SAI and PMA worked with us but the stoped in the '90's - no-one really knows why anymore. They tend to keep to themselves in Crane now, but i adore them.:)

TSteven
11-27-2006, 10:52 PM
I was talking to our president a few days ago and now I am confused.

For homecoming we have many activities that all of the greek organizations participate in, like paint the town blue, a window painting contest. While looking at the windows I noticed that TBS had done a window and then I wondered why SAI had not.

I asked our president about it and she said that we don't participate in alot of the things because we aren't actually greek. She said that it is something about having "women" in the name.

I am confused about how we are not greek but TBS is, and is it possible for SAI to be greek?

Thanks!

When I was at The University of Kentucky (back in the late '70s early '80s), Sigma Alpha Iota was considered Greek. Just not under any of the "social Greek" (for lack of a better identification) umbrella councils. As such, y'all (nor Tau Beta Sigma) rarely participated in social activates with IFC/NIC/NPC chapters.

For what it is worth, UK didn't do much in the way of homecoming activities the way it is currently at UK. And any campus wide activities were "all inclusive" as it were.

TSteven
11-27-2006, 10:53 PM
SAI is also a female FRATERNITY which brings with it complications in ISC.

That shouldn't matter. From the NPC website.

"National Panhellenic Conference, founded in 1902, is an umbrella organization for 26 inter/national women's fraternities and sororities."

adele87
04-01-2007, 03:23 AM
Hey sis,
I don't know where you got that information but Sigma ALPHA IOTAwe are GREEK, if you look in your Manual for Members its states that we are a greek music FRATERNITY for women, matter fact our organization was patterned off of the oldest GREEK society. Iota(ee-oo-ta) is the correct pronunciation of Iota if you actually speek to anyone Greek they will pronounce it Ee-oo-ta.Last I checked all of our letters are GREEK and technically our official name doesn't have "women" in it anymore.....If your president said that then she is SADLY misinformed. I hope this helps.

If you have any other questions feel free to email me at Militant_Symphony_3@yahoo.com

Yep, we sure are greek. I agree. Some chapters even have houses.

CuriousWildcat
04-04-2007, 05:56 PM
I have looked into it further, due to some Title Something, if you are a single sex organization, you have to be officially social. Since we are A "professional women's" music fraternity, then (at UK at least) we are not an officially recognized as a greek organization.

MysticCat
04-05-2007, 10:05 AM
I have looked into it further, due to some Title Something, if you are a single sex organization, you have to be officially social. Since we are A "professional women's" music fraternity, then (at UK at least) we are not an officially recognized as a greek organization.Title IX. It provides that colleges that receive any federal money cannot recognize any organizations that discriminate on the basis of gender. An exception is made for "social fraternities and sororities." Phi Mu Alpha received a letter of exemption from Title IX in 1983; in it, the federal Department of Education recognized that Phi Mu Alpha is a social fraternity, not a professional fraternity. For this reason, we can remain single-sex without losing recognition from host institutions.

FWIW, our Centennial History says that SAI requested and received a similar exemption in the later 70s, "claiming that Sigma Alpha Iota existed:

' . . . to foster interest in music and to promote social contact among persons sharing a general interest in that art form rather than to prepare persons for professional endeavors relating to music.'"

adele87
04-08-2007, 08:00 PM
OK so what does that mean exactally for the SAI sisters?

Daisy0726
04-13-2007, 03:20 PM
At UK there are strict rules classifying organizations. Even though SAI does have Federal Title IX exemption, UK will not allow the organization to register as a professional group. That is a battle that has been fought and lost on several occasions. The chapter can continue to operate as it always has done without the University's recognition.

For SAI to be registered, and therefore officially recognized by the University, they would have to list the chapter as a social fraternity or sorority. By registering as a social organization would put the organization under the Greek Affairs umbrella. That does not mean that they would have to change chapter operations at all. Ceres (an agriculture organization) and Phi Sigma Rho (an engineering organization) are two orgranizations listed in Greek Affairs as social organizations with specialized requirements for membership and completely different processes than the NPC and NPHC organizations.

This is a UK issue, as far as I know. I haven't encountered any other chapters that have this kind of issue.

If you have any other questions, just ask!

Daisy

Tau Beta Sigma Eta Zeta '95
Sigma Alpha Iota Delta Omega '97

adele87
04-13-2007, 04:35 PM
thanks

AlwaysSAI
05-18-2007, 01:23 PM
I don't think being greek has anything to do with chapters having houses or participating in social events with other orgs (although it is great fun).

Being greek has to do with the traditions and rituals laid down as the foundation by the founders. Sisterhood is not about the word, but the intention behind the ritual that creates those bonds. Sorority sisters share secrets that are only privelege to it's members.

Sigma Alpha Iota began as music sorority because the founders didn't want just any club, they wanted a sisterly bond to exist among it's members.

Mystic Cat is correct when he states Phi Mu Alpha's exemption from title IX (although for a very short time, the did admit women). The exemption is made for social fraternities and sororities. SAI requested exemption from IX and recieved it because the requirements for membership were broadened to one music class. Our founders did not intend for men to share in this sisterhood with us (hehehe :p). It is a broad misconception, even among sisters, that we are a professional organization. We are not. We exist to foster relationships and social connections among women interested in music.

No, WildCat, we are not affiliated with NPC, but that does not take away from the careful planning, love, and dedication put forth by our founders to supply us with this beautiful sisterhood. When someone tells me that SAI is not greek, I imagine myself in the middle of an initiation ceremony and recall all the beautiful words said. They do not know our ritual and they do not know our secrets. They are speeking from an uninformed mouth, and that is okay because only the best are SAI.

:D:D

MysticCat
05-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Mystic Cat is correct when he states Phi Mu Alpha's exemption from title IX (although for a very short time, the did admit women). Great post, AlwaysSAI.

Just to be clear, though, it is true that for a short time some women -- 236, to be exact -- were initiated into Phi Mu Alpha between the mid-70s and 1985, when the practice was again prohibited across the board. Most chapters, however, were never able to initiate women. Before it could initiate any women, a chapter had to receive approval from our nationals. Approval was only given if the chapter was in real danger from the host institution as a result of only initiating men. Only 22 chapters were ever given permission to initiate women. A few of these chapters withdrew (or, in one case, was expelled) from the Fraternity and formed locals after 1985.