PDA

View Full Version : Rho Chis/Rho Gammas?

GDIfly
09-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Does anyone know how or why people started calling their Recruitment Guides by Greek letters? Is it just because everything sounds cooler as a Greek letter, or is there some significant reason behind it?

AChiOhSnap
09-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Does anyone know how or why people started calling their Recruitment Guides by Greek letters? Is it just because everything sounds cooler as a Greek letter, or is there some significant reason behind it?

Rho Chi corresponds to "Recruitment Counselor." Since most fraternities/sororities have Greek letters that stand for English words/phrases...it just makes sense that it would carry over into other aspects of Greek life.

I'm not sure why some schools switched from Rho Chi to Gamma Chi or Rho Psi or anything like that though.

SoCalGirl
09-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Rho Chi is the name of an actual fraternity. The official NPC term is Rho Gamma (Recruitment Guide). My school uses Pi Gamma though, and I've heard of dozens of other terms.

www.rhochi.org/

Rho Chi is an honor society that finally got around to making a deal about it enough that the NPC had to change the name. All schools were allowed to use an appropriate substitute while they took suggestions and votes on the new names. I believe my school uses Sigma Rho Chi instead of Rho Gamma.

adpiucf
09-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Sigma Rho Chi is the formal name adopted by NPC for Sorority Recruitment Counselors once it was discovered there was a pre-professional/honor society called Rho Chi.

GDIfly
09-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Wow, that sounds pretty uptight of Rho Chi. I would think it would always be pretty clear whether someone was talking about Rho Chi the person or Rho Chi the society... not much chance of confusion, really.

So, why go through all the trouble of saying "Sigma Rho Chi" (what a mouthful!) when you could just say "RC" or "RG" in english? Also, what other greek letters do fraternities and sororities use for normal english phrases?

AChiOhSnap
09-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Wow, that sounds pretty uptight of Rho Chi. I would think it would always be pretty clear whether someone was talking about Rho Chi the person or Rho Chi the society... not much chance of confusion, really.

So, why go through all the trouble of saying "Sigma Rho Chi" (what a mouthful!) when you could just say "RC" or "RG" in english? Also, what other greek letters do fraternities and sororities use for normal english phrases?

Because the Greek phrases are all in fun, I guess (???)

Sometimes sororities'/fraternities' open mottos correspond to the first letters of their Greek letters. Not always though. I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head, although I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

The other phrases tend to be sorority/fraternity secrets.

Elephant Walk
09-11-2006, 09:44 PM
We still use Rho Chi and won't change because that's ridiculous.

Adelphean
09-11-2006, 09:46 PM
We changed 3 years ago from Rho Chi to Pi Chi.

gphiangel624
09-11-2006, 11:44 PM
Maybe I've just missed it, but where in the Manual of Information ("Greenbook") does it say that the official NPC term is "Rho Gamma" or "Sigma Rho Chi?" I've never seen that change- the only official term I've seen in the Greenbook is "Recruitment Counselor."

KSUViolet06
09-11-2006, 11:44 PM
We went from Rho Chi to Sigma Rho Chi (Sorority Recruitment Counselor), but everyone just calls them SRC's and most of their shirts just say SRC.

greekalum
09-12-2006, 01:06 PM
I believe the official NPC term IS "Recruitment Counselor."

adpiucf
09-12-2006, 01:17 PM
When Rho Chi academic society expressed its concern over the name in the winter of 2002, NPC requested that all college panhellenics cease calling their Recruitment Counselors "Rho Chis," and instructed them to call them Recruitment Counselors. They then solicited names and announced that Sigma Rho Chi was the winner of a new Greek name for the counselors (it stood for Sorority Recruitment Counselor). They encouraged college Panhellenics to use Sigma Rho Chi or to use another name of their choosing so long as it was not Rho Chi.

Personally, I think that they should only be called Recruitment Counselors. The people they serve are very new to Greek Life and it is hard enough to keep track of all the new letters floating around.

TSteven
09-12-2006, 04:38 PM
So, why go through all the trouble of saying "Sigma Rho Chi" (what a mouthful!) when you could just say "RC" or "RG" in english?

I'm sure many people do shorten it and use the English equivalent. Just like many might say "A" for Alpha etc.

I was told from a 'guide' many years back that there were a couple of unofficial reasons for using Rho Chi or Sigma Rho Chi etc. First reason was to get the PNMs use to hearing/using Greek letters. Second reason given was that since these "guides" had to disaffiliate during recruitment (or what ever time line mandated by their specific university), they were in affect in their own Greek organization. In some cases, even taking a "pledge" to this "organization" as it were. On some campuses, the "guides" even roomed together during recruitment. As such, they bonded as would any other GLO.

WhiteDaisy128
09-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Sometimes sororities'/fraternities' open mottos correspond to the first letters of their Greek letters. Not always though. I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head, although I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

Like DG -- Do Good!!

HeavenslilAngel
09-12-2006, 06:30 PM
like ASA Aspire Seek Attain

PhoenixAzul
09-14-2006, 08:20 AM
we, oddly enough, still use Rho Chi. Don't quite know why, but like most things, traditions are hard to change.

Buttonz
09-14-2006, 12:50 PM
we, oddly enough, still use Rho Chi. Don't quite know why, but like most things, traditions are hard to change.

So does Brooklyn College

Symbal
09-19-2006, 01:43 PM
At WVU, we still use Rho Chi. Why? I'm assuming tradition.